A few thoughts on other peoples ideas

tha_vampyr

Base Building: Not really needed, if you can modify existing houses. Modifications could include:

• removal of dead bodies (with or without perhaps the addition of a mound/tombstone outside the shelter afterwards)
  • re attaching cupboard doors/fixing drawers for extra storage (just need to have basic/quality tools)
  • boarding up windows/holes in the roof to increase the inside temperature.
  • general clean up (just aesthetics)
  • addition of a pot belly stove (you can lift the hoods on cars already, with tools you could remove it, and with rope you could drag it. so all those pot belly stoves in houses you dont want to stay in or fishing huts could be chucked onto the sled and pulled.

also, why are toilets so infrequent? do canadians not go number 2's?

Carrying capacity: The addition of the moose hide satchel was great! perhaps it could be possible to change your pack by finding a hiking or backpackers pack, or a hunting enthusiasts milspec style pack? also the addition of something like a make shift sled. it could be used for moving large amounts off wood too? also, maybe not being hungry (so people have to think about starvation mode), might allow you to carry a little more (because you are full of energy).

Multiplayer: pvp is dumb as dogshit. coop would be nice. i dont know how much work it would take but a few thoughts are:

• dont change the quantity of items. so in interloper people get to enjoy sharing that one shirt :P 
  • in the challenges you cant use books to learn, so switch them off in multiplayer (there is one time lapse thing gone already)
  • i believe i read somewhere in the roadmap that hinterland wanted to make cooking realtime, so that you could do other things while cooking/boiling (another time lapse thing gone)
  • things like wood cutting and harvesting could be tweeked a little.
  • sleep could be done in a similar style as The Forest, in that everyone needs to sleep at the same time for the same amount of time, which they need to activate at their own sleep space (bed/bunk/roll)

More animals would be nice, but i dont know what or how many. Foxes i thought might be good, not really a threat other then maybe they steal the meat you leave outside on the ground? so you would need to keep it in barrels or hang it? Seals perhaps in coastal areas? Beavers around inland water sources?

Collectables (straight up someone elses idea i just read). things that you could display wherever you ultimately end up calling home? an idea that came to mind would be a chess set. a fixed number of pieces and a board. having it on display would really be ironic in that you dont have someone else to play with?

Character Voices: maybe have a few different voices for both the male and female characters, so that there is a bit more personality/variety? could be simply different people, or it could be different accents/nationalities? let the player choose or have it be random, but i think this would be nice :)

map markers. hikers already do things like leaving piles of stones at the start of a path, and doing so might aid navigation in poor visibility?

thats it for now. any thoughts or constructive criticism welcomed! 

1 hour ago, tha_vampyr said:

Base Building: Not really needed, if you can modify existing houses. Modifications could include:

• removal of dead bodies (with or without perhaps the addition of a mound/tombstone outside the shelter afterwards)
  • re attaching cupboard doors/fixing drawers for extra storage (just need to have basic/quality tools)
  • boarding up windows/holes in the roof to increase the inside temperature.
  • general clean up (just aesthetics)
  • addition of a pot belly stove (you can lift the hoods on cars already, with tools you could remove it, and with rope you could drag it. so all those pot belly stoves in houses you dont want to stay in or fishing huts could be chucked onto the sled and pulled.

Multiplayer: pvp is dumb as dogshit. coop would be nice. i dont know how much work it would take but a few thoughts are:

• dont change the quantity of items. so in interloper people get to enjoy sharing that one shirt :P 
  • in the challenges you cant use books to learn, so switch them off in multiplayer (there is one time lapse thing gone already)
  • i believe i read somewhere in the roadmap that hinterland wanted to make cooking realtime, so that you could do other things while cooking/boiling (another time lapse thing gone)
  • things like wood cutting and harvesting could be tweeked a little.
  • sleep could be done in a similar style as The Forest, in that everyone needs to sleep at the same time for the same amount of time, which they need to activate at their own sleep space (bed/bunk/roll)

Collectables (straight up someone elses idea i just read). things that you could display wherever you ultimately end up calling home? an idea that came to mind would be a chess set. a fixed number of pieces and a board. having it on display would really be ironic in that you dont have someone else to play with?

Character Voices: maybe have a few different voices for both the male and female characters, so that there is a bit more personality/variety? could be simply different people, or it could be different accents/nationalities? let the player choose or have it be random, but i think this would be nice :)

thats it for now. any thoughts or constructive criticism welcomed! 

Constructive criticism? Praise the Lord!!!!

Out of all seriousness, there is a lot to talk about your suggestions...

Fixing drawers shouldn’t be necessary; how does fixing a cupboard door help increase storage space? Although, I think that tool boxes should have a bigger role in games considering that they are only used now for usual crafting. 

Now comes my biggest complaint, on your point of multiplayer. I’m not a fan of it (these threads are quite the virus here on the forums even though Hinterland said that they weren’t doing it) but I do believe that it could properly be put in by modders. In terms of co-op, I would have to disagree with you on that: why should I care about the other people I am playing with? And if you don’t have the need to stay with others, might as well go play solo. There is no point of having co-op if the focus stays on personal survival and other players are boring and have no major effect on your game. Co-op is frankly a bigger waste of time than what p vs. p would be

There won’t be anymore voices. They already had limited dialogue to deal with in Story Mode due to lack in budget, so anymore voices are probably not even a priority. Besides, aren’t there hundreds of mods on the Steam Workshop that already do this? 

Not to plug another game, but someone who plays unturned created a map based on The Long Dark. The game is free, if a bit simplistic. So if you wanted your PvP or Co-op TLD, go play unturned and look up Eternal Frost map. It'll give you flashbacks to the game. It's not exciting, but it's multiplayer. In my opinion, TLD is better, because in Unturned the wolves basically turn you into hamburger in about 2 seconds. And unturned has WAY more guns and melee weapons, so it's an entirely different flavor. but if that's what you want, and you don't mind that mine craft look, go play unturned.

Archived