game crashing

theINFAMOUSATL

I don't know what the issue is.. every time I play the game it locks up. Transition from areas in survival mode game locks up must restart comp. Open objects ... same. Exit sleeping bag ...same. can't play anymore due to locking up. When the game was in its BETA sandbox it was my favorite game. Disappointed that I can no longer play. PLEASE HELP I love this game.

Just now, theINFAMOUSATL said:

I don't know what the issue is.. every time I play the game it locks up. Transition from areas in survival mode game locks up must restart comp. Open objects ... same. Exit sleeping bag ...same. can't play anymore due to locking up. When the game was in its BETA sandbox it was my favorite game. Disappointed that I can no longer play. PLEASE HELP I love this game.

Sorry you're having some trouble with the game. Please check out all the steps listed in this thread, if you haven't already. Also note the details about finding and submitting your logs to our support account: 

7 hours ago, theINFAMOUSATL said:

switched to direct 9x and still 7 minutes into the game tried to enter the lodge at the broken railroad and the screen locked up and could not back out of the game forcing a hard reset of my machine. frustrated------- 

Posting about the problem without providing detailed system information makes it impossible for anyone to help.

Looking at the log would help as well, found in your install directory, then \steamapps\common\TheLongDark. Do a search for "error.log" or "output.log".

tried a resolution change today as I had seen others post about. Game seemed to run fine for approx. 30 minutes screen locked at the mine entrance to leave desolation point again. machine now locking up on stranded deep and fallout 4. I am not educated in the mechanics of the machine and don not know what is failing. The machine has an 800 w power supply (1 year old), and the graphics card listed above is 1 yr old

image1.JPG

On 10/19/2017 at 0:08 PM, theINFAMOUSATL said:

have posted an output log on the bug reporting site

Good.. but we can't see that.. if you post error logs here (as a link or attachment, please, not a huge long post), we could look them over and see if we can work out what's going on.

4 hours ago, theINFAMOUSATL said:

output log

output_log.txt

Thanks.. If the game is crashing, there should be a folder in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\ where the name of the folder is the date and time of the crash. Inside it should be an error.log file as well as the output.log.txt file. Is that where you got the output.log.txt file you posted from?

Could you also please post the error.log file from the above location?

So.. on to what I can see in the log you supplied.

It looks to me as if the problem is DirectX11 related. And it appears as if still you're running an old pre-Wintermute version of the game. According to the log file, "GAME VERSION: Sandbox Alpha v.393", which was released back on Jan 13 2017.

You said above, "When the game was in its BETA sandbox it was my favorite game." Well, according to the logfile, you're still running the ALPHA sandbox!

As I recall, somewhere around the v.393 time there were some problems with DirectX. For a while I had to force my install to use DX9 instead of DX11 to get the game to run at all, until Hinterland got it sorted out.

So first of all, you're using a version of TLD which has hundreds of bugs in it that have fixed since then. Why on earth are you still running such an old version of the game?  The very first thing Hinterland would tell you to do is update to the current version, v1.15.

The next question is, what about overclocking? I doubt your problems are heat related, like you seem to think, but if there's one thing I've learned about people with AMD CPUs and graphics cards, it's that they love to overclock things. Have you overclocked your CPU and/or graphics card? If so, what happens if you set it back to standard? Overclocking doesn't just lead to more heat. It can cause instabilities of all kinds, that don't show up until you give the system a real workout. And some programs/games can be more susceptible to overclocking instability than others.

If you haven't overclocked, try underclocking instead.. dial things back to 90% of standard. Sometimes that can help. Quality of chips can vary, and when worked hard, some can stumble even at speeds they're officially rated to handle.

But first of all, get your game up to date! Expecting tech-support for an old, out-of-date version of the game is ridiculous. Half the reason for updates in the first place is to fix any problems that have been found. If you still have problems after the update, then it's worth investigating further. But until then, nobody can (or should, IMO) help you.

Ok then.. let's see if we can figure out what is going on.

First of all, is the game installed via Steam, or some other way?

Next, is this the screen you see when starting a game? Note the version number that I've circled in red.

screen_3447408a-d140-4505-ab22-5d140166bb6a.thumb.png.3d4c6cce02abef2e677069443728b03d.png

If yours does not look like this, or has a different version number, what do you see? Can you post a screenshot of it here, please? (To take a screenshot, use the F9 key - the image will be saved on your desktop. You can then attach it to your reply.) What version number is displayed on the screen?

Archived