Add bilberrys to the game

Johnny5X

Since there are no other consumable plants that dont need preperation beside the Cat Tail Stalk,adding bilberry to the game as a wild bush would be very nice since it  fits really well with the enviroment  and it can be used as a low-medium food and water source (maybe jam?) ,also there is a story from WWII pilots consuming bilberry jam to sharpen vision for night missions so if they are added they will help the player survive a little bit more in the dark.But BEWARE bears eat bilberrys too!

bilberry bush.jpg

I think blueberries are a bit better known relative to bilberries, and are more likely to make it into the game. Especially since this game takes place in Canada which is on american continent, and bilberries are native to Europe, blueberries to America, but really, I never even cared about the difference in between them. Eyesight story is a myth, it in fact could work the other way around thanks to the sugar rush, I think the reason why they would eat it is because it was a great source of quick energy due to the sugars contained within and antioxidants that help a bit with awareness.

Could be a cool little herb to be eaten raw, but no jams, making a jam out of them would be just boiling out the precious antioxidants those herbs have (which would already be mostly gone because these berries would be frozen stiff in this weather). Blueberries and bilberries are native to high altitutes, colder climates and birch forests as well as plains. I can see the herb fitting in well into most of the locations around the Great Bear island. Could replenish a bit of calories and some water if eaten.

12 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Yes they are more well-know but it would still be cool if they can help you see in the dark.But i guess you're right.Also i thought that because bears have them in their diet it could be a nice way to lure or escape from them without having the scent of meat.

2 minutes ago, Johnny5X said:

Yes they are more well-know but it would still be cool if they can help you see in the dark.But i guess you're right.Also i thought that because bears have them in their diet it could be a nice way to lure or escape from them without having the scent of meat.

Unlikely, bears collect them but only intentionally. Throwing them away, I dont think it would help distract a bear, but who knows? I guess a decently sized batch might. I dont think we need something that helps with the night vision, though I agree that especially from video making standpoint, being able to see more in the game during nights would be nice. I just wish they included some sort of setting to make the nights less dark in general.

2 minutes ago, Johnny5X said:

If a person stays in the dark for a long time his eyes get used to the lack of light and gets better vision in the dark so that could be a nice addition to the game for the players who don't use light sources in the night.Who knows?

That would be a cool addition. Whenever I go out in the night, I often go around poorly illuminated paths, so I close one of my eyes when I approach lit up areas, to make sure that once I leave them, my vision on one of my eyes is still better accustomed to dark. And you are absolutedly correct, people do get more accustomed to dark - seeing that in a game would be amazing addition.

5 minutes ago, Athoen said:

Are those berries available during snowtime in northern Canada ? O.o

If not, this is not immersive IMO

But adding more diversity in native vegetable food would be nice (only if it is available in winter-time).

Blueberries and rose hips both are not something you would commonly found during snowtime in Canada, but if the location got hit by some quick weather changes, then yes, you can most definitedly find berries on both bushes. And as you might realize, they do not regrow - because part of the TLD apocalypse was not just the Aurorae, but also that all the temperatures rose higher (and then there was the Collapse before the Aurorae). This, I think, means that the herbs has been frozen as they were, part of an outcome of the apocalypse. 
Blueberries are native to arctic locations as well, and can be found on bushes under the snow if the snow came during some rapid weather change, same as rose hips.

Also I am pretty sure they are a fruit, as well as rose hips, not a vegetable. 

Athoen  about the diversity in native vegetable food they could add edible roots like bitterroot  or even black tree lichen which  was a traditional  food of canadian indigenous people.They could also add trees with ebible bark you could eat if you have a hatchet, but those should be a bit rare to find.

On 20. 8. 2017 at 4:33 PM, Johnny5X said:

Athoen  about the diversity in native vegetable food they could add edible roots like bitterroot  or even black tree lichen which  was a traditional  food of canadian indigenous people.They could also add trees with ebible bark you could eat if you have a hatchet, but those should be a bit rare to find.

Not neccesarily - it would be just a matter of preference - do you damage your hatchet and waste time and calories to get a bit of edible bark which can maybe give you a bit more calories then you expended? These choices are what make TLD such a good game. I dont think they would need to be rare, just not very worth taking. Unless you were willing to make a tea out of them, I am sure that many edible barks can be turned into a tea. Having a renewable way to get a drink which can be re-heated would be great for the Long Dark longetivity, for a while I wanted to see fresh spruce twigs be found during firewood foraging, which could be picked up and in sufficient amount turned into a spruce tea - an excellent source of vitamin C and some minor calories, but most of all, a drink which can be re-heated and used to give the player a renewable access to "warm core" affliction, as well as a chance to help one-self re-heat themselves even if they dont have sufficient firewood to make fire hot enough, as long as they had enough of this tea in their possesion.

I am all for having more vegetables in the game. At some point, TLD should get more elaborate cooking system - and this will require more raw ingrediences to be cooked. Vegetables will be neccesary at that point.

Also with the vegetables they could add algae that washes up on the coast every time there is a storm.There are a lot of soups that can be made with algae.Also the tea fromthe tree bark could have the same effect as the herbal tea or some healing factor that gives some condition back like 5%.

Archived