Hatchet & knife done. Now what?

shadow613

I used up my whetstone on the hatchet and both my knife & hatchet are done (unusable). I'm at the point where the old lady gave me the key to go grab her daughter's climbing gear. Will I get another hatchet/knife and/or whetstone later? How am I supposed to do anything without these tools??

There are more tools in episode 2 - an abundance of knives, and at least two hatchets, as well as a few whetstones. 

Playing without tools shouldn't be impossible though. You can harvest carcasses by hand if they are less than 50% frozen - start a fire nearby, and frozen carcasses will thaw. The fire will also keep you warm and keep wolves away. You can collect sticks and break down crates without a hatchet. Tools help, but you could manage without. 

3 hours ago, shadow613 said:

I used up my whetstone on the hatchet and both my knife & hatchet are done (unusable). I'm at the point where the old lady gave me the key to go grab her daughter's climbing gear. Will I get another hatchet/knife and/or whetstone later? How am I supposed to do anything without these tools??

You can find 2 Hatches and 2 whetstones in Milton. One Hatch behind Grey-Mothers House and one ... i cant remember where. Maybe the Farmhouse. What Knife do you mean? This one from gamestart? Then you must go to the Radiotower. Theres a hunting knife you can grab. Hint: The "Knife" you has pulled out of your hand, is downscaled and decayes much faster than a normal hunting knife. To use the whetstone on it, is wasting the whetstone.

33 minutes ago, TheBugfixer said:

You can find 2 Hatches and 2 whetstones in Milton. One Hatch behind Grey-Mothers House and one ... i cant remember where. Maybe the Farmhouse. What Knife do you mean? This one from gamestart? Then you must go to the Radiotower. Theres a hunting knife you can grab. Hint: The "Knife" you has pulled out of your hand, is downscaled and decayes much faster than a normal hunting knife. To use the whetstone on it, is wasting the whetstone.

Do you recall where you found the second whetstone. I know Grey Mother slips you one at a certain trust amount...

I'm assuming you randomly located a second one somewhere....

I don't remember where I got the second hatchet but it was pretty late in Ep1 -- maybe the farmhouse or gas station?  In Ep2 I currently have 3 whetstones and a hunting knife in addition to the hatchet.  More importantly, you learn new recipes in Ep2... forge recipes.  So you have options.

Both my first hatchet and knife were in crap shape....like 50ish condition each. I don't know why they can't just start with a fixed higher condition of like 84 or something. My very first run before the patches, the axe was 84, but the patches were NOT retroactive, so I had to start over. The prybar is always 100 condition it seems.

My last run I got a 64 hatchet. This one it was even lower, like 52....I am tempted to start over AGAIN, lol....

I'm sooooo OCD....

Archived