Broken Railroad - Interloper (Spoilers!)

Timber Wolf

Since we have a new map to play around in, I thought an Interloper Broken Railroad only challenge might be fun.  So, I've been doing a bunch of recon to see what the map has to offer.  You can't get an Interloper start here, so I wait for the FM start near the railroad tracks and quickly move to BR.

What I have found so far is that the map is pretty desolate in terms of loot.  The natural resources are very limited, i.e. there aren't very many mushrooms, rose rips, omb or cat tails to be found.  I think there is a total of 28 cat tails in the map, found only around the lake.  

There is quite a bit of reclaimed wood and cloth that can be harvested from the two buildings, approximately 160 reclaimed and 60 cloth.  The rest of the loot is typical for Interloper.

The big problem with this map is the lack of tools, as in I haven't really found any.   I've been through many times now and have only ever found simple tools, quality tools and the prybar.   I found the pry twice in the largest tool chest in the maintenance building.   I've found the tools in either of the tool chests in the maintenance building, and also a couple of times in the basement of the lodge.   On one occasion I found both the prybar and quality tools.  The bedroll seems to be guaranteed in the lodge, either upstairs or in the basement. 

The single biggest problem with trying to survive only in this map is the lack of matches.  There seems to be a guaranteed spawn of 12 matches in the lodge, somewhere on the main floor.   And then some times I can find 12 more in one of the trucks, usually in the maintenance yard, but could be any of the trucks on the map.

So, 24 matches is the maximum that can be found on the map.   That's really not very many.  I think the challenge of trying to survive only here would come down to match management, and that really doesn't seem like much fun to me.

Anyone else been exploring the BR?  Have you found anything different from what I have?

I've been playing in Pilgrim, because I'm a big baby who doesn't like dealing with wolves, and I definitely found the same. I didn't find a hatchet anywhere I could get to (inaccessible bridge + whatever else is up there might have one) and I think I only found one hunting knife in the whole map. I did find some nice clothes in a couple of the locked lockers, but that's been about it. I did end up with about a half dozen boxes of wood matches, a firestriker, and a box of cardboard matches, but, again, Pilgrim mode. I believe I also had to import a prybar from Mystery Lake.

My big struggle seemed to be food, since there are only 2-3 deer carcasses (I think, I didn't keep real close track) and there are only a couple rabbit spawn points, with no fishing available and no other hunting tools anywhere that can be accessed in the map. I didn't find very much packaged food, either, to the point where I had to leave about twenty days into this sandbox, because all I had left was an MRE.

There also doesn't seem to be a 'quick' way to get anywhere, the only 'shortcut' I've found that isn't a climbing rope is that long decline next to the locomotive, down to the maintenance yard, and I sprained an ankle the first time because I wasn't careful jumping off rocks. That might just be me complaining, but when you spend your day trying to loot stuff/hunt and have to go the long way 'round, it takes a lot longer and ur more likely to hit bad weather. That's not meant as a complaint, just a personal observation of the map.

I've really enjoyed the map, especially since it's been my first chance to try out Faithful Cartographer, but the lack of resources makes it sort of difficult to play in for any decent stretch of time.

20 minutes ago, ialpiriel said:

My big struggle seemed to be food, since there are only 2-3 deer carcasses (I think, I didn't keep real close track) and there are only a couple rabbit spawn points, with no fishing available and no other hunting tools anywhere that can be accessed in the map. I didn't find very much packaged food, either, to the point where I had to leave about twenty days into this sandbox, because all I had left was an MRE.

I'm surprised Pilgrim doesn't have it's usual abundance of everything.  It kind of seems like the primary benefit of this map, in terms of Survival Mode play, is the large amount of cloth and scrap metal that can be harvested and brought to the forge in FM.

20 minutes ago, ialpiriel said:

There also doesn't seem to be a 'quick' way to get anywhere, the only 'shortcut' I've found that isn't a climbing rope is that long decline next to the locomotive, down to the maintenance yard, and I sprained an ankle the first time because I wasn't careful jumping off rocks.

You're right.  As far as I can tell, there really isn't much choice in the routes to take to get around the map.

9 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

I'm surprised Pilgrim doesn't have it's usual abundance of everything.

I did a little more thinking and referencing, and I did remember that I found at least one hacksaw, and there must have been six deer carcasses--I made the deerskin pants + boots, plus found one cured deer hide in the hunting lodge when I went back to try to find a way up to that one bridge. It did seem generally really light in resources, especially compared to maps of similar size (DP reads to me as about the same size, though I haven't compared). There did seem to be a lot of wood and cloth just around, but I didn't have a hatchet for a lot of stuff, and I was primarily concerned with procuring food, so breaking down things that didn't need a hatchet had to wait.

I've only poked around in Pilgrim in this region so far.. I can confirm the general low levels of loot, and also so far have not spotted a single cave in my travels.. not even a small bear cave, let alone a real cave. Must admit I was disappointed that I couldn't climb up into the cabin of the locomotive.

I didn't explore the map as much as I would have liked to (between misjudging baiting a wolf once and breaking most of my arrows killing the rest of them I didn't think I could stick around that long), but my results were similar.  I found a skillbook in the repair shed and another skillbook, an emergency stim and bedroll in the lodge.  No tools of any kind.

Pretty sure the matches in the lodge are the only ones you can count on, so 12 minimum and everything more than that is luck.

There is at least one cave, the path to get there was near the lodge.

7 hours ago, happybjorn said:

I found a skillbook in the repair shed and another skillbook, an emergency stim and bedroll in the lodge.

This is what I always found too.  The skill book in the maintenance building was always either the rifle or bow one.  The one in the lodge was always the sewing or outdoor survival.  The stim always spawned in the lodge. 

7 hours ago, happybjorn said:

There is at least one cave, the path to get there was near the lodge.

The only other cave I have found is an occupied bear cave near the lake. 

I tried on voyageur, found a bow + 1 arrow + 1 broken arrow on a corpse next to a deer carcass towards the lodge, and rifle in the lodge, two hacksaws and a hammer in the yard shed (one of the hacksaws might have been in the yard shed). On interloper I found nothing :).

Archived