Cooking time

VLC

To cook meat takes 20 minutes what ever the weight.

If i cook a 1Kg piece of meat it take 20 minutes and if i cook a 50g piece of meat it take 20 minutes.

It should be proportional.

So, 0,05 kg of meat would be cooked in one minute, right? That's the proportional way, correct? Math is not my strongest subject but I think did this one correctly. 
Have you ever cooked anything at all? Because it makes no sense. What makes sense is to cut that 1 kg of meat to several steaks which are then cooked more quickly, rather than it being cooked all in one piece. But Devs were kind enough not to slice it up to many pieces so we wouldn't have to eat each steak separately, and also so we don't have immediately 20 possible baits to use out of a single 1kg meat. 

And finally, per every cooked item, you get some skill point. So it would make sense to cook 20 smaller steaks and get 20 points towards new rank rather than 1 kg altogether to get a single one, but in the same collective time. Because if 1kg of meat took 20 minutes, then 20 pieces of 50g steak would take 20 minutes as well but would increase the skill of a player 20 times more.

So, the fact that cooking of each piece of meat takes the same amount of time every time is a balancing issue and should stay the same way it is right now. Why would you want to cook a 50g piece of meat anyway? That size is a perfect bait material, better to leave it raw and let it rot so it attracts predators more and is an effective bait.

30 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Why would you want to cook a 50g piece of meat anyway?

So you've never sliced a deer into 60 150g steaks to help boost your cooking skill? Even a rabbit can be turned into 10-12 steaks if you try.  ;)

(just 2 more finely-sliced deer and I should hit level 5 cooking!  :D )

Just now, JAFO said:

So you've never sliced a deer into 60 150g steaks to help boost your cooking skill? Even a rabbit can be turned into 10-12 steaks if you try.  ;)

(just 2 more finely-sliced deer and I should hit level 5 cooking!  :D )

I do that but I don't cook them, kind of a waste in my opinion, I just let all that meat rot and I tend to carry about 5-8 pieces of raw meat around for baits, I attract a lot of wildlife but the baits make it easy to deal with them, because I have a huge problem sneaking by the predators since the Faithful cartographer.
I never really consciously boost my cooking skill because it kind of just gets topped off rather easily if I just play the game conservatively, trying to save processed food and instead eating meat all the time from day 1. Don't even collect cattails most of the time.

4 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

the baits make it easy to deal with them, because I have a huge problem sneaking by the predators since the Faithful cartographer.

Have you tried using stones to distract the wolves? That works quite well, a lot of the time.

6 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Have you tried using stones to distract the wolves? That works quite well, a lot of the time.

Interesting, because I have a very miserable experience with that, actually. So far, I have only been able to distract a wolf with a stone if I managed to hit it directly, and it wasn't yet aware of me to begin with. I might make a fresh character on Voyager and go practicing, thanks for a tip.

7 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

So far, I have only been able to distract a wolf with a stone if I managed to hit it directly, and it wasn't yet aware of me to begin with.

If you're aiming at the wolf, you're doing it wrong. Wolves investigate sounds now (including car doors when you get in and out of them), so throw the stone to the spot you'd like the wolf to go.

Archived