Dropping Backpack

hunglasx

I'm really interested in drop my backpack expecially in future where we can meet bears or eventually pack of wolves.

My opinion as i told in other post is:

REMEMBER THAT YOU DROP ONLY IN A DANGER SITUATION

1) You decide to drop ALL your backpack

2) mantain only few objerct that are in a "invisible list" IF YOU HAVE THEM you mantain, example knife.. (few objects)

3)Now you can RUN because you have a bonus to your fatigue (half bar)

4) No, you don't have a new backpac and you can't store nothing (only if you rfound object that you don't have but are in the "invisible list" told before.

5) yoou NEED to return taking your backpack...more time you loose more degrade object inside you have and maybe some food disappear..

This was my "survival" in danger opinion about backpack.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cannot drop everything. You would need to keep a few things like clothing (worn) and the list would appear hardcoded. The next problem is, once a simple implementation is in, new people will come and say they need to specify what is in the backpack and what not. Like what if they want to keep their rifle and their first aid and food, but not material and so on. In the end the whole UI needs to be reworked just for 1 stupid feature. Therefore the devs are probably wary that by giving one feature they open a pandoras box and it leads to more and more work.

This thread has been up for some time and so far I have not read one plausible suggestion how a backpack feature is supposed to work without creating new unsresolved problems. Diagnosis: much effort for very little benefit.

What was suggested so far wrt backpack features was a load of rubbish to be honest. For example, a lot of people want bigger backpacks so they can carry more. They seem to have not understand how the game works, that carry capacity is purely based on physical strength and stamina, and you cannot upgrade that.

Dropping backpack would be nice, but not with the current UI. As long as the devs don't specify their intention to make a new UI there is really not much point in discussing features that would require one. Only when they say that they are planning a new UI, it would make sense to discuss what kind it could be, for example like the one in JA2 1.13 (which I personally think offers the largest amount of gameplay, choices and consequences)

You cannot drop everything. You would need to keep a few things like clothing (worn) and the list would appear hardcoded. The next problem is, once a simple implementation is in, new people will come and say they need to specify what is in the backpack and what not. Like what if they want to keep their rifle and their first aid and food, but not material and so on. In the end the whole UI needs to be reworked just for 1 stupid feature. Therefore the devs are probably wary that by giving one feature they open a pandoras box and it leads to more and more work.

This thread has been up for some time and so far I have not read one plausible suggestion how a backpack feature is supposed to work without creating new unsresolved problems. Diagnosis: much effort for very little benefit.

What was suggested so far wrt backpack features was a load of rubbish to be honest. For example, a lot of people want bigger backpacks so they can carry more. They seem to have not understand how the game works, that carry capacity is purely based on physical strength and stamina, and you cannot upgrade that.

Dropping backpack would be nice, but not with the current UI. As long as the devs don't specify their intention to make a new UI there is really not much point in discussing features that would require one. Only when they say that they are planning a new UI, it would make sense to discuss what kind it could be, for example like the one in JA2 1.13 (which I personally think offers the largest amount of gameplay, choices and consequences)

actually without backpack, you'll carry 5 kilo (or more, it's dev's decision) and when you take your backpack, it's rise 30 kilo again. it's not necessary to manage every item on your backpack.

for example, you see a wolf and you want to run away as fast as possible. then you take important items in your backpack and dropping the others. it is'nt that hard i think. they are game developers. i don't think that will make a fuss for them.

i still support my idea.

Then tell me, which items are dropped and which aren't?

you choose that. it's not necessary to categorize it like in dayz. you don't need to choose it and place it on yourself (like shirt, jeans etc.) all you need to do is choosing some items until it reaches 5 kilo or something like that. dropping backpack is more like escaping fastly and a kind of storage. not totally a storage mechanism actually.

But clothes that you wear cannot be in your backpack.

it's says equipment in game, not backpack. what's the problem with that? i didn't say clothes that we wear can be in my backpack. i said, in dayz, you choose your item to place it on your shirt or jeans etc. but devs can do it like you choose item that you want to carry on yourself without backpack and dropping backpack for moving fast.

I do like the way DayZ did this and I think it would make the most sense in the long run. But Burning Bridges has also got a point, you'd need a UI redesign to designate which items you are "carrying" and which ones are stored in your backpack. So for that reason they've probably other priorities for now.

it's wishlist guys, if you think like that (saying need a new UI) you can't bring any new feature then. lots of idea in this forum becomes unacceptable. your job is only supporting ideas to that you liked and that's it. developers will discuss it anyway. please stop saying "aah, that's a new feature, it's impossible to do that, you need new UI and lots of, devs can't do that."

Alpha Wish List

This is where you should post any wish list items you'd like to see added to the game in the future

I agree with hunglasx. This is a Whish List, NOT a To Do List that binds the developers to our requests in any way.

The developers will choose what can be done and what not. It's kind of a brainstorming session, where most of the ideas will be dropped, but the more ideas we spurt out, the better.

And redesigning the inventory may not be a priority, but I think it isn't that hard. Maybe it's hardly a priority, but It could be made later (or not at all for the sake of simplicity, but it's far from impossible: in Shadowgate - it was 1987, on the Amiga 500! - where encumbrance mattered I used to split various items in separate sub-containers, and it was quite useful when you had to "get lighter" or find a certain kind of item).

You are both absolutely right. Any and all ideas can be offered here. But on the other hand, others are allowed to give their opinion about all those ideas as well.

The need for a new interface should never be a reason to not suggest something. The devs will determine if they feel it's worth changing the interface to implement the feature.

Nobody here is saying something is impossible but they are saying they don't feel the effort required is worth it. Personally, I partly feel that way to. I would love to see dropable backpacks in the game if the devs find a way to make it possible without me losing all equipment and selecting what equipment to keep is not too much of a hassle. But I do think the effort to do this is too great to be done right now.

Maybe in the future, but for now I would rather have the devs spend their time on more important matters. I can already outrun wolves without dropping my pack, unless I'm exhausted, so I feel it this feature doesn't add much. But the effort to design this feature well, and then implement it with all the changes to the interface, the actual dropping of the backpack, the ability to pick it back up etc is pretty large.

You are both absolutely right. Any and all ideas can be offered here. But on the other hand, others are allowed to give their opinion about all those ideas as well.

The need for a new interface should never be a reason to not suggest something. The devs will determine if they feel it's worth changing the interface to implement the feature.

Nobody here is saying something is impossible but they are saying they don't feel the effort required is worth it. Personally, I partly feel that way to. I would love to see dropable backpacks in the game if the devs find a way to make it possible without me losing all equipment and selecting what equipment to keep is not too much of a hassle. But I do think the effort to do this is too great to be done right now.

Maybe in the future, but for now I would rather have the devs spend their time on more important matters. I can already outrun wolves without dropping my pack, unless I'm exhausted, so I feel it this feature doesn't add much. But the effort to design this feature well, and then implement it with all the changes to the interface, the actual dropping of the backpack, the ability to pick it back up etc is pretty large.

they're liable to doing new things that community wants actually. if you support this feature, they'll find a way somehow and bring that feature in the game if lots of people supports this idea. so, thinking like "it's hard to do it for devs" won't change anything about game. developers will discuss it and it's their job. our job is present our ideas. everybody should do own job in my opinion.

please write if you support this idea or not. also please add reasons why do you support that or not.

thanks!

Well, I think it's not just about saying if I support the suggestion or not. The devs should make their decisions not only based on whether people support an idea or not but also on how important people think an idea is.

Yes, I support this idea. I think it would be a nice touch because if I were in a situation where I would be carrying too much and some wild animal was stalking me and I couldn't run because of my pack, I'd loose it. So yes, I would like to see this option in the game.

But there are also lots of things I would like to see implemented first. Better outside containers for storing food (I just don't like the idea of using a corpse for food storage), more craftable items, beds providing warmth and a sled to pull more stuff around are just some off them. If I have to choose between any of these idea's and droppable backpacks, I'd choose those other idea's.

Elloco, I am a programmer myself. What I usually do with users is give them a list of their requests and ask them to tick which things are the most important. If they tick "everything", you can say that there is something wrong with their approach.

Ah and the reason why I dont support this suggestion: It's too vague. If a feature necessitates significant changes, it should be really worth it and this isn't the case.

I'm a developer as well and we also try to get our customers to define what are the most important features. That's hard enough to do when you can sit everyone down at a table, but I think it's impossible to get everyone here on the forum to agree on what is important and what not...

But you must agree that even the unimportant features will eventually get implemented if there's enough time and money.

That's of course always very true in software development :D

But there are also a lot of very poor idea's on the forums and a droppable backpack is not one of them if you ask me. It may not be no. 1 on my list, but it's not at the bottom either. I do hope it will someday make it into the game, but if it doesn't I won't miss it much either. I'd say it's a nice-to-have, certainly not a must.

Then I will say something that you as a developer will uerstand. I always try to communicate if that if people come with a list of 10 features they should not see it as their victory if we agree to implement all 10. I tell them it's not ME that is the obstacle they have in front of getting what they want, it's complexity. I always try to do as much as possible with as little as possible in terms of source code. Nothing is worse than a piece of software that has every user feedback implemented. I always try to convince people that we work together and find ways to achieve a maximum with as little complexity as possible, and that I do this because I am coinvinced that 2x source code => 4x more problems. Perhaps that makes it clearer why I want people to think more in terms of a list of features ordered by importance and complexity, not a list of 10,000 features that 50 developer studios could implement in 500 years.

That's of course always very true in software development :D

But there are also a lot of very poor idea's on the forums and a droppable backpack is not one of them if you ask me. It may not be no. 1 on my list, but it's not at the bottom either. I do hope it will someday make it into the game, but if it doesn't I won't miss it much either. I'd say it's a nice-to-have, certainly not a must.

It would be a good idea if it comes without the price. Imo it is a typical "nice to have" feature and does not warrant much extra overhead in the UI.

writing same idea as like community wrote isn't logical in my opinion. there are already a lot of topic that includes necessary features. dropping backpack is like more unimportant, I'm totally OK with that but I still support, it would be nice. and also I don't believe it's too hard to do. even they are experienced devs

I'd like to elaborate a bit.

A heavy redesign of the inventory system just to implement backpack dropping may be, in fact, way too much.

But a more complex inventory system (with different backpacks, containers, pockets, belts etc.) that would also, as a side-effect, allow dropping your backpack, could give an enjoyable layer of complexity to the game (after all, inventory management is a fundamental skill in survival situations - even in those uncivilized places called "airports", actually).

On the other hand, more complexity could also hurt gameplay.

In the end, I think this an idea that, while not essential and/or urgent, should be kept in mind.

I don't think inventory management should become to complex. Certainly not without slowing down time when in your inventory, or you will waste a lot of time here.

But I don't think it has to be very complex and could easily be incorporated in the current interface (provided they intend to keep this interface). It could be as simple as a button to mark items as carried on you person and a chance to the weight counter that will indicate how much weight is in you backpack and how much is on your body.

And if the interface is going to be overhauled anyway, then this could easily be incorporated.

Archived