Interrupt Your Task

Ice Hole

Interrupt your tasks and then start all over does not make any sense.  When I am chopping a log and a storm whips up I will press the ESC key and cancel.  Time and energy was spent but nothing to show for it.  How does a fir limb return to its non chopped state?  This scenario happens with other tasks as well.  Reading a book and 95% complete then the message it is too dark to read or your too tired to focus or your hungry or thirsty will cause my character's mind to go blank and to forget.  Again time and energy was spent and nothing to show for it. 

Every task should keep its progression persistent.  This is true for crafting some items but for others you have to start from the beginning with zero progress.

For a book, I agree.  We should retain progress like crafting.

But for outdoor tasks (since that where 99% of the risky situations are) 'finish or lose it' is good gameplay IMO.   If you could always just press ESC and come back to finish the task later with the risks had passed, why ever face any risks?  The game becomes FAR easier.  I can think of way to abuse this design to make Interloper super easy, for example.

Upon interrupting task, any task, player should retain 80% of it progress.

If you havent finished cutting a limb, then when you return you have to reevaluate how to do it again. You dont just start from exactly same point. A minor setback. And with books, you may understood and memorized some chapters, but last one, that you were only half-way thru, may not sink in particularly well, as you didnt get whole picture what it was talking about.

So, restarting interrupted tasks would make returning to them easier and faster, but not perfect one for one correlation in terms of progress.

Archived