Packaged Food Storage

Oobarsten

1. Everything lasts longer stored outside except stuff in cans (soda, sardines, peaches, pork and beans). Store these indoors.

The only exception I can think of (to the canned goods best stored indoors) is possibly the canned dog food?  Seems to me it lasts longer outdoors.

Drifter Man did a long study across several updates about decay rates.  Here's where he posted his most recent results (page 24 in case the link doesn't work right).  

He's got more data further back.  His game was Voyager not Stalker (like the wiki) and includes info on inside container vs. outside container for the indoors.  

20 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Some foods don't decay so you can store them anywhere (cattails, coffee, tea, salty crackers, water)

I had two 5x Tins of Coffee.  One at 90% and one at 33%.  I dropped the 90% Tin out in the snow in front of my lodging.  A week went by and now it's 89%.  I'll leave it out and see if it drops in quality again.  Odd..

Other than that, thx for all the info guys.

4 hours ago, Oobarsten said:

I had two 5x Tins of Coffee.  One at 90% and one at 33%.  I dropped the 90% Tin out in the snow in front of my lodging.  A week went by and now it's 89%.  I'll leave it out and see if it drops in quality again.  Odd..

The wiki page doesn't show data for tins of coffee or boxes of tea.  But I can confirm that once it is cooked into cups of coffee or tea it no longer decays.  I have some that is 100s of days old without decaying.

6 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

The wiki page doesn't show data for tins of coffee or boxes of tea.  But I can confirm that once it is cooked into cups of coffee or tea it no longer decays.  I have some that is 100s of days old without decaying.

Actually, the wiki does show it.  It's at the bottom of the page listed under "Materials".

Archived