Not NPC But Players

FO4Builder

I noticed on  post by Hinterland they had NPC's appearing in sandbox, what if we change the NPC for players? We could meet in the lands, perhaps I stumble upon you in trouble with a wolf/bear and I lend a hand. We travel together for a short time (or long) share a fire, camp songs and watch each others back, do a little trading ect. Perhaps when one player decides to leave and his companion is not online he/she leaves a note, we can choose to follow the footsteps in the snow to track them down or head on our own way.

My reason behind this thinking is this is such a unique and exceptional game, rather than meet an NPC I think meeting a real player/character would be awesome. To make it remote we could just have 3 players on any one game map. (3 on all maps not just per region)

Would love to hear your thoughts on this, personally I would love to meet up via random chance with another real person and travel/help/assist. Perhaps your repair skills are better than mine, I can craft better than you ect....

I feel this would keep the game truly real.

Well there is a small problem:

TIME

This game is based on using time or should I say daylight time efficiently. That is why most of the actions you do consume time like Boiling water, crafting, and most of all sleeping how will you do that if the game is multiplayer??? 

Maybe there should be 1 PVP area like a community where all the players go to meet, trade raid the usual PVP stuff but that would not be a good representation of TLD. 

Another thing is the Permadeath. How do you solve that? when you die this is it. if you log on with another character that will be a major exploit, people will kill their char and leave the stuff in one place and later try to get them, unless they spawn in totally new area with minimum equipment only to be killed again by some other player who learned all the spawning points... I could go on and on but I think this is enough.

The Long Dark is too good to be multiplayer game. Someday I would welcome some coop feature where you could share the experience with a friend but I think this is the far it should go.

4 hours ago, Frozen guy said:

modding it could be possible to create a coop-mod

Well yeah. But it´s an alpha. No sane person would take on such an insane task while working with an alpha. You have to update constantly, have all sorts of issues to deal with and your whole code could become unusable if a big update hits. We´ll have to wait and see, but judging from the current development pace (not to insult anyone, I know they´re working their asses off) it will take quite a while until we can even know if this is possible.

Archived