Curious about the sun

r_r

Having spent a number of years in the very northern latitudes, I'm curious if the winter sun in the game will behave like the winter sun IRL: rising somewhat above the horizon and traveling horizontally for a few hours before setting again, with long sunrises and sunsets in between? Or will it behave more like the sun most of those in the more southern latitudes are used to?

The difference in the sun's placement and duration was the first real indicator that I was no longer spending winters in an easy place to live. That and the sub-zero temps and massive amounts of snow, at least. :-)

I sort of take it for granted that the sun will behave properly for the latitude and time of year. Otherwise it would be Neil DeGrasse Tyson and the night sky in James Cameron's Titanic all over again, except there would be a whole lot more people noticing the discrepancy.

• Hinterland

I wouldn't read too much into the way the sun behaves in the prototype footage. All we were trying to show there was basically day/night transitions, sun goes up, comes down, stars come out, etc.

In terms of the sun behaving the way it should in Northern latitudes, keep in mind that the game isn't in an Arctic setting or anything, and really the length of day/night will primarily be determined by game pacing. That said, I really want to show prolonged sunsets and sunrises for several reasons, not the least being the long sunset gives you some warning that night is approaching and you might just want to find your way to shelter or make sure you otherwise have a warm place to spend the night because it's about to get really damn cold. :)

• 5 weeks later...

That said, I really want to show prolonged sunsets and sunrises for several reasons, not the least being the long sunset gives you some warning that night is approaching and you might just want to find your way to shelter or make sure you otherwise have a warm place to spend the night because it's about to get really damn cold.

:)

i.e. Just like real life winter in northern latitudes. Awesome!

Archived