cooking expansion

LunarCaptain

Just an idea of cooking expansion

all levels would still have the slight increase of calories. 

After reaching skill level 2 the player can craft new food and drinks that are not craftable before this level. (there is already another topic on the forum on this)

level 3 already lets you open cans without a can opener. however, I don't believe that I would not still be eating from a can if my cooking skill is level 3. 

After reaching skill level 3 the player can also add side dishes to cooked meat to further increase the meal's calorie count. it would use things like rose nips, that mushroom I forgot the name to, cat tails stalk and can even include things like pinnicle peaches, choclate bars, etc it would just take 0.10 weight away from the total weight/ammount that they had left and by doing so, it also remove the approprate amounts of cholories remaining. The down point is that these are more heavy and degrade faster. I guess they can be labeled as dinners or full meals

After reaching skill level 4 the player can cure meat and can make jerky. this would require the player breaking down raw meats into jerky. keeping the area above 10'C. (i know it's much higher than that) for a period of 10 hours. this home made jerky would be lighter than cooked meat but make the player more thirsty. 

After reaching skill level 5 the player can create whole portable meals. (basicly meals with side dishes) these would be lighter and last much longer. basicly fixing the flaws of the dinners/full meals. 

the benfits of this would be a progressing level of understanding of how the make more filling meals, then learing and how to make them more lighter to deal with the hunter/gather life style. i can see player spending much more time and resources working on thier cooking skill as it would be help them greatly when the mother nature gives them a beat down. But i would like to hear your comments.

2 hours ago, Adam12341 said:

this would make the late game a lot easier, and you need to eat regularly so this is more like a progression

In my mind, this is far better for immersion. because in the later part of the game it might be too cold to go out and hunt/fish or you can't haul all of your stuff into a new area or region.

in the resolute outfitter update. The lesson was to balance mobility/weight with protection from the elements. so let's say you are carrying  10 cooked fish that is around 10 of your 30 weight used. sure one of them could provide around 1000 calories but the point is. you will have to pile on food, water clothing, a weapon, knife, fire starting materials, hatchet, saw, etc all that will slow you down. 

I would rather have some pre-packed meals that can provide around 1800 calories. 

2 hours ago, Adam12341 said:

Maybe it should be harder to achieve the levels and would need something special to do?

this would not some easy walk in the park to build these dinners or packed meals or to even get to the level. You can't just put cooked meat + cooked meat + cooked meat to get one. You must have cooked meat + pinnicle beach + gronala bar  or (if getting food from nature) cooked meat + rose nips + cat tail stalks.

i really thinking once the player reaches level  3 or 4 that the really simple things like making tea from packets or warming up soups do not raise your skill any more and it has to be like cooking raw meat or higher. But would that make it too hard that is the question. 

My only thought about a multi-course meal like that (meat + sides) is, how would you justify being able to package it up in portions and say it's a single food item?

I'm all for some advanced meals, but my thought would be more along the lines of soup and stew as a first go. So, meat + veggies (mushrooms, cat tails, and or rose hips) + water. The amount of water determines if you want soup or stew. Along with that, a can of tomato soup with meat and veggies added to it. Beyond that, things like chili, made from pork and beans + tomato soup + meat and veggies.

For more advanced stuff, maybe something like a crumble made with peaches and granola bars... and maybe crackers for holding it together better. Throw in some chocolate for added flavor and you've got a homemade energy bar, pretty much.

It gives the same effect of a more realistic diet but without having to hand-wave that we've somehow made and are carrying around a homemade MRE. We already hand-wave that we carry around open containers of food and liquid without issue, so I don't have any heartache with a 'bowl' of soup/stew/chili.

Yeah, it has to be balanced by the fact that you've opened and combined together multiple containers of food and water, so you end up with the appropriate total amount of food. Food that is now readily perishable, so would need to be stored in the cold, like meat, in order for it to last a decent amount of time.

2 hours ago, SteelFire said:

My only thought about a multi-course meal like that (meat + sides) is, how would you justify being able to package it up in portions and say it's a single food item?

Becuase with all the combinations one could make with a meat and two sides it would be far easier to just give it a blank name like dinner or a full meal. then once level 5 packed meal or like you said homemade MRE.  

I'm all for some advanced meals, but my thought would be more along the lines of soup and stew as a first go. So, meat + veggies (mushrooms, cat tails, and or rose hips) + water. The amount of water determines if you want soup or stew. Along with that, a can of tomato soup with meat and veggies added to it. Beyond that, things like chili, made from pork and beans + tomato soup + meat and veggies.

It gives the same effect of a more realistic diet but without having to hand-wave that we've somehow made and are carrying around a homemade MRE. We already hand-wave that we carry around open containers of food and liquid without issue, so I don't have any heartache with a 'bowl' of soup/stew/chili.

I very much like that idea. I now feel that it could replace the homemade MRE idea plus they can help with hydration. the full meal would be an image of the plate with meat, rose nips and cattail stalks.  Where the stew would be shown as a glass jar filled with stew. 

stew its self is a lot harder to make than the full meal. So it would help the progression factor.

Yeah, it has to be balanced by the fact that you've opened and combined together multiple containers of food and water, so you end up with the appropriate total amount of food. Food that is now readily perishable, so would need to be stored in the cold, like meat, in order for it to last a decent amount of time.

using something as a side dish means you loose 0.20 of the weight (and the calories that it would provide) so let's say you use rose nips you would need 20 rose nips. If you used a full can of pinnacle peaches then you would have 0.30 of the can left. the meat would need to be at least 1 kilo heavy. the stew could be 1500-1800 calories than at a reduced weight/decay cost.plus a small calorie benefit of 10%. the soup can also be heated up. 

while the full meal would only have the Calorie increase but would also decay faster.

Archived