List of ideas

Adam12341

So after playing The Long Dark for a long time now, I know of many ideas that I would really want to see in this game. I know that some things might already be listed or are on the roadmap, but I just wanted to show what I like about those ideas or maybe other variants of them.

1. Multi-tasking

Sometimes when your cooking or fishing it feels like a waste of time that you can't do anything else. For example when cooking you should be able to choose if you want to speed the cooking - like it is now - or be able to quit the cooking menu and have a timer on how much time is left  cooking if you point the cursor on the fire. There should also be a risk of burning the food if you forget to take it after the cooking time has passed. While fishing you should be able to research books, harvest stuff or something like that. Maybe this should only be available for players with higher fishing skill.

2. Crafting arrow shafts from both maple or birch saplings

I believe that it doesn't matter what wood is used for the arrow shafts so you could both make arrow shaft from birch and maple saplings, just because you won't find any other need for the maple sapling besides using it to craft a bow.

3. Using something else in crafting as string instead of cured guts

Guts are probably the easiest material to find and use as string, but maybe you could find something else like steel wire and use that instead to craft a snare or to use it instead of gut while crafting Deer skin boots or other crafted clothing. Maybe even the ability to harvest the mountaineering rope for a few strings to use. 

4. Storing meat or fish 

There should be a ability to find salt or a other way to store meat or fish for longer terms without making it decay. This would be useful when you would travel and you could store your meat instead of taking kilograms of weight with you. 

5. More crafting and harvesting options

There should be more crafting or use abilities for items that you don't really need more than of like bedrolls or rifles, because you can repair them. Also, other ways to harvest saplings, like using the heck saw instead of the hatchets with some sort of higher skill. 

Some of these ideas might make the game easier but they would be realistic. Maybe a risk or something else to keep the game harder. I would really like both the communities and Hinterland's opinion on my ideas. 

Cheers 

You already can harvest saplings and limbs with the hacksaw. And multitasking while cooking is on the development road map, so will hopefully be there soon. 

I share your desire for preservation of meat. Though if you leave it outside in the snow, it drastically delays the rate of decay. Which is something, at least. And, I'd love to see a few more crafting options too. Maybe discovered in books, or learned through trial and error. 

I love your ideas for multi tasking. And i have an idea about fishing i wish when it comes to fishing u bait ur hook or make a jig but most of all, ethier you set ur line down and wait like a pop up or bank line, and go do other duties, or you jig the line and if you make a pole out of a sapling you hace abetter chance of catchign fish and less line brackage; however, i wont to fight the fish like a fenes bar you have to keep a arrow in.

17 hours ago, Adam12341 said:

2. Crafting arrow shafts from both maple or birch saplings

I believe that it doesn't matter what wood is used for the arrow shafts so you could both make arrow shaft from birch and maple saplings, just because you won't find any other need for the maple sapling besides using it to craft a bow.

3. Using something else in crafting as string instead of cured guts

Guts are probably the easiest material to find and use as string, but maybe you could find something else like steel wire and use that instead to craft a snare or to use it instead of gut while crafting Deer skin boots or other crafted clothing. Maybe even the ability to harvest the mountaineering rope for a few strings to use. 

5. More crafting and harvesting options

There should be more crafting or use abilities for items that you don't really need more than of like bedrolls or rifles, because you can repair them. Also, other ways to harvest saplings, like using the heck saw instead of the hatchets with some sort of higher skill. 

In reality it really don't matter as long as the wood don't have any major knots. Made a bow from a branch of a bush tree but for purpose of balance that would make the game too easy if you could make bows and arrows out of the limb that fall at every blizzard

That would be great to have other types of cordage. Wire should be a high tier loot since rabbit can't break steel and must be harvested from tires, the mountaineering rope is made of nylon so but harvesting one should be a last resort choice. Personally I think you should be able to make cordage out of fiber bark which is quick to make and a little bit less susceptible to break than guts but you have to find fibrous tree and should harvestable from the limbs, branchs and sticks of the tree

For harvesting sapling you should be able to harvest one if you have a knife and any kind of firewood on you

I have been thinking about the string thing a lot lately, so thanks for posting this and getting the discussion going.  As I look around my house at things that have easy to make string or wire I can name a few.  Every electrical device, some are even in the game already, have an electric cord, made of wire and plastic.  The game has floor lamps, desk lamps, radios, ovens, toasters and refrigerators all of which should have an electric cord. Cars have lots of wires.  Some clothing, curtains and furniture have drawstrings, piping or upholstery webbing that could be made into a string or cord pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, Mesha said:

I have been thinking about the string thing a lot lately, so thanks for posting this and getting the discussion going.  As I look around my house at things that have easy to make string or wire I can name a few.  Every electrical device, some are even in the game already, have an electric cord, made of wire and plastic.  The game has floor lamps, desk lamps, radios, ovens, toasters and refrigerators all of which should have an electric cord. Cars have lots of wires.  Some clothing, curtains and furniture have drawstrings, piping or upholstery webbing that could be made into a string or cord pretty quickly.

Your right, but maybe it should require something more so it would be that easy.

Archived