Thin Ice Problems

CalNieDaGtarGuy

Recently I was playing on Forlorn Muskeg, and I shot a wolf out on the ice. When I went to butcher it, the game warned me that there was thin ice where the wolf was, which made me wonder why the wolf didn't fall through, when I could. Later, I shot a bear twice, and he ran away, sprinting across the thin ice also. If a 300 lb bear can dead sprint over thin ice, how come I fall through. My suggestion is that animals either avoid the thin ice, or fall through if they run across it. Comments?

6 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Recently I was playing on Forlorn Muskeg, and I shot a wolf out on the ice. When I went to butcher it, the game warned me that there was thin ice where the wolf was, which made me wonder why the wolf didn't fall through, when I could. Later, I shot a bear twice, and he ran away, sprinting across the thin ice also. If a 300 lb bear can dead sprint over thin ice, how come I fall through. My suggestion is that animals either avoid the thin ice, or fall through if they run across it. Comments?

Yeah i get your point, but me my guess is that it is the only way to keep animals in that region alive. or there would be animals falling threw ice minuets after they spawn, but your point is valid.:) 

On 22/12/2016 at 2:21 PM, Riverotter said:

Yeah i get your point, but me my guess is that it is the only way to keep animals in that region alive. or there would be animals falling threw ice minuets after they spawn, but your point is valid.:) 

Or you could make it so they do fall, but ones that do fall respawn somewhere else.

I just can't help but think how hilarious it would be to watch a bears/wolves prowling across the lake then suddenly *PLOP* and they fall through the ice :D:D 

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Or you could make it so they do fall, but ones that do fall respawn somewhere else.

I just can't help but think how hilarious it would be to watch a bears/wolves prowling across the lake then suddenly *PLOP* and they fall through the ice :D:D 

Yeah that would work and be awesome.

I've noticed this too. I think thin ice needs to be thin ice for everyone. The animals should be able to avoid it, just like they would avoid open water, or other objects. And it would give you an interesting dilemma when being chased. Is the predator or the ice the greater danger? I would definitely try crossing thin ice to lose a bear.

Though I do wonder how deep that water really is. This would be a lot of work for the developers, but: You could have the animal fall through the thin ice, but only end up in a foot of water. So it would be slowed down, not stopped. That would create open water where there was none before, which seems to happen when I fall through too. It could take a lot of fine tuning to get the animation right on a fall through the ice, which probably makes it not a priority for now. 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:00 PM, Jebru said:

I've noticed this too. I think thin ice needs to be thin ice for everyone. The animals should be able to avoid it, just like they would avoid open water, or other objects. And it would give you an interesting dilemma when being chased. Is the predator or the ice the greater danger? I would definitely try crossing thin ice to lose a bear.

Though I do wonder how deep that water really is. This would be a lot of work for the developers, but: You could have the animal fall through the thin ice, but only end up in a foot of water. So it would be slowed down, not stopped. That would create open water where there was none before, which seems to happen when I fall through too. It could take a lot of fine tuning to get the animation right on a fall through the ice, which probably makes it not a priority for now. 

Makes sense. I also have thought that it would be cool if, depending on how deep the water is, they introduced a mechanic where you had to struggle to the surface, or drown in the process. Also, whether or not there is an undertow, which would pull you and potentially trap you. To add to this, with the new clothing weight tech, the heavier you are, the faster you should sink. It would make the game far more challenging though. If you think about it, just by risking the thin ice, you could very easily die in minutes. It would make the game much more realistic though. Thoughts?

I'm not sure how much the developers want to go down this path. I doubt they would create a swimming mechanic just for falling through the ice. But, when they bring in the other seasons, they will have to give us some way to traverse the open water. And that may allow us to actually experience the water through the ice too. If they decide to let us swim at all. 

Archived