Using the hunting knife to kill deer, wolves and other game

franco_g

Hi Hinterland Games.

I just want to say that I am happy that I backed up your game. I've been playing the Alpha version but I have some suggestions.

First off I wish I could use the hunting knife to kill deer and other game. Also use it to defend myself from wolves etc. I mean it is a HUNTING knife right? If I am in the situation myself I would use it to hunt and as a weapon defend myself as well. :)

Hi Hinterland Games.

I just want to say that I am happy that I backed up your game. I've been playing the Alpha version but I have some suggestions.

First off I wish I could use the hunting knife to kill deer and other game. Also use it to defend myself from wolves etc. I mean it is a HUNTING knife right? If I am in the situation myself I would use it to hunt and as a weapon defend myself as well. :)

Good luck hunting deer armed with a knife in real life. Barring a field improvised spear thrown from a tree stand, it'd be a huge realism violation.

Now stabbing Fluffy in the face? Totally onside with that.

+1

I think you should be able to put objects in your hands as weapons, Knife, Axe, Crowbar. Which gives you a better chance at fending of a wolf attack and increased chance of killing the wolf. At the moment when I run out of bullets and have striped the carcass's clean, my only option is to take on a wolf in the hope I can kill him and eat him. So far I'm lucky to survive, the wolf just runs off and I die of starvation :(

Agree with the dear knife thing, but I'm sure traps are in the pipeline! If not wish list - traps.

Yes! This would make a nice addition! Punching wolves to death (whilst not hard in-game at the moment) isn't terribly realistic.

The option to tag an item as a "defensive" item to be used if attacked would help greatly. I guess in game terms, depending on the item, the number of "clicks" to get a full attack bar against the wolf would be lessened, thereby making it quicker and easier to kill, or drive them away.

Hi Hinterland Games.

Good luck hunting deer armed with a knife in real life. Barring a field improvised spear thrown from a tree stand, it'd be a huge realism violation.

Now stabbing Fluffy in the face? Totally onside with that.

In the game I managed to get close to a deer just by running. If I can use the knife to stab it, I will stab it.

+1 for melee weapons used on wolf struggle. perhaps if anything it could allow your struggle meter to reach stronger attacks quicker. but in hunting purposes for deer...i don't think so. not only would the deer try to defend itself, it could perhaps cause bodily harm to you as well. and id be quiet frightened of tangling with a 300lbs buck.

• 1 year later...
On 2014-09-30 at 2:21 AM, UncleJoe said:

+1

I think you should be able to put objects in your hands as weapons, Knife, Axe, Crowbar. Which gives you a better chance at fending of a wolf attack and increased chance of killing the wolf. At the moment when I run out of bullets and have striped the carcass's clean, my only option is to take on a wolf in the hope I can kill him and eat him. So far I'm lucky to survive, the wolf just runs off and I die of starvation :(

Agree with the dear knife thing, but I'm sure traps are in the pipeline! If not wish list - traps.

yeah, no ammo is hard to compensate. Wolf struggles don't seem to work very well when needing meat. There should definitely be a tactic for this. I'm gonna ask in Q+A

On 2014-10-05 at 4:38 PM, gwishades said:

+1 for melee weapons used on wolf struggle. perhaps if anything it could allow your struggle meter to reach stronger attacks quicker. but in hunting purposes for deer...i don't think so. not only would the deer try to defend itself, it could perhaps cause bodily harm to you as well. and id be quiet frightened of tangling with a 300lbs buck.

More like a 25 kg deer because you only get 10 kg of meat. O.o

Archived