Use the large propane tanks

jeremiah johnson

Id like to able to use the giant propane tanks on the side of some of the buildings. Since you don't need a fire to warm the inside of a building, they would serve no heating purpose, but maybe they could serve some other function within the house. Possibly some sort of internal lighting. Id be interested to hear what other utility people could think of for them.

Gas-heated stoves are actually pretty cool - both more economic and ecological than eletricity and at least wikipedia specifically states that they work without electricity so yes, using them for cooking seems like a good idea (although most modern stoves do have electrical ignition and the game allegedly takes place in 2019 or later. Then again, the shacks are a lot older than this and likely don't get new furniture that often, seeing how antique it seems. The most modern thing seems to be TVs since they can easily be loaded into cars). One downside that they have is that you need to properly air the room, so maybe there would be a maximum on operating duration?

As for gas heaters, I once lived in a place that had a single one for the entire apartment, which seemed stupid at the time but when winter came, that beast warmed up the entire place real good. Used a piezoelectric ignition if I recall correctly  (only lived there for three quarters of a year in 2013/14 since I discovered black mold in the walls and I want my lung cancer to come from cigarettes not funghi, dammit). However, they aren't exactly the most economic choice I guess.

What the economic aspect boils down to is basically how much gas there is in each tank (and thus, each building because there is absolutely no way to transport those or the gas within for the player since it's liquid gas most likely) and how the game would track consumption. Of course, there would also need to be some sort of balancing mechanic to it because Coastal Highway for example would, for as long as the gas lasts, make gathering wood and making fires the old-fashioned way rather pointless.

On 11/13/2016 at 2:18 AM, Wastelander said:

What the economic aspect boils down to is basically how much gas there is in each tank (and thus, each building because there is absolutely no way to transport those or the gas within for the player since it's liquid gas most likely) and how the game would track consumption. Of course, there would also need to be some sort of balancing mechanic to it because Coastal Highway for example would, for as long as the gas lasts, make gathering wood and making fires the old-fashioned way rather pointless.

I like the idea of not knowing how much is in there. And for me personally, even if they did implement this idea, i would not use it for cooking unless cooking with propane was beneficial some how (I have no idea why it would be).  I would use it primarily for lighting. If it were used simply for lighting, then it may last a while but if you used it for cooking and lighting then its lifespan would be much shorter. Overall i think this idea wouldn't really add much to the game. I mean it would be nice to have more lighting while in a cabin but once the propane is gone, then what?? Back to square one. Its more of a luxury item if you will. Or like you said, if you begin to rely upon it too much and dont make any preparations for when it runs out, if you dont know how much is left, then it would be a good idea to have back up supplies.

I feel like this game is starting to get to a point where people are looking for changes that allow them to immerse themselves in the game in a much more personal manner, rather than changes to the mechanics of the game. ie different flavored sodas and things of that nature. That really wasn't what i had in mind when i thought about using the propane tanks, but the more i think about it, the more i feel like this would fall into the flavored sodas categories of change or implementation.

yes, any building that has propane tanks should have either a stove or a heater. Maybe it doesn't work however the humans didn't put the propane tank there without a reason and chances are the looters wouldn't have bothered trying to lug a heavy heater around. Sometimes there are even propane lights like this:

IMG_20150209_070029-2952x3479.jpg

It would be a pretty cool to add, but it wouldn't change the game much at all. It would be exactly like an indoor fireplace or stove. Except it would be short term, early game only. Seems like more trouble than it's worth since it wouldn't change any of the game mechanics.

saying they do add these ideas in, they can have an Easter egg of an NPC saying "I sell propane and propane accessories." ( Easter egg is from King of The Hill)

on a serious note they should really make them useful and serve a purpose for as long as they last, rather than be there just to look nice.

Archived