One of Many Idea Lists...

SierraNevada

This is just a list of things that I feel like need to be added in coming updates and what not. First, a bit of background. I've been an outdoorsy type person for as long as I can remember. I'm a rock climber, and have climbed 5.8 trad 6 pitches long with a pack that weighed 60 pounds and made it to the top with enough energy in me to hike 3 miles before winding down for dinner (this will become important later). I've been well educated in the ways of survival, and have clocked in hundreds of hours on TLD.

Without further ado, the list:

1. More Wildlife. I feel like that the wildlife isn't particularly diverse in this game. It's just wolves, bears, rabbits and deer (and crows, if you are willing to count them). It would be cool to see a greater diversity of animals in this game by including foxes, owls, rodents, as well as different bear and wolf skins so that they all don't look the same.
  2. EASTER EGGS! It would be so, so, SOOOOO awesome to egg hunt in this beauty of a game. I would love to find some secret items, or maybe on a full moon in a very specific part of the map, a werewolf appears that guards a secret item. Or maybe (this would be a cheap one), make it so that if a player goes idle for a good amount of time at night and then turns around quickly, a dark figure can be seen fleeing from the player with alarming pace. Just a few ideas.
  3. A more in-depth medical treatment and injury/illness system. When you get an intestinal parasite, you can't just pop two pills and then you're good to go, you have to constantly take more and more medicine and refrain from eating certain foods. I feel like treatment should be more intensive than just popping a couple pills (there are a couple exceptions to the rule, as I feel like treatment to minor scratches and bites are good in terms of treatment). It would also be cool to create a percentage chance to catch a random minor sickness, which is influenced by your overall health. Also, I find the lack of suturing and mental ailments to be rather odd. Surely, after just barely surviving being mauled by a bear you would be in serious shock and have wounds that would require suturing. How would you treat shock? Filling up your hunger and thirst bars, staying above freezing, being indoors, and comfortable. And that leads me to my next idea...
  4. Comfort Meter. Having an incredibly slowly draining meter of overall comfort would be awesome. This comfort meter simply sums up the overall well being and comfort of the survivor. This meter is influenced by all other meters, how long it has been since the survivor has last been indoors, how much killing the survivor has done since his/her last rest/sleep, injuries recently sustained, and stuff like that. It could be refilled slightly by eating and drinking, be refilled somewhat by passing time (or spending time with a non-hostile npc, if they're ever introduced), and refilled greatly be spending a long time indoors, warm, and/or sleeping.
  5. More diversity among food items. I mean, come on. A store filled with nothing but cans of condensed milk, granola bars, pork 'n' beans, canned peaches and summit soda? I find that hard to believe. I'm not mad or anything, I'm just saying it's weird to have an inventory filled with nothing but beef jerky after a lengthy day spent scavenging.
  6. Heat penalties near the forge. I won't dive into it or anything, but one time I heated up the crashed ship on Desolation Point to the same temperature as the surface of the sun using the forge. I should've died and the ship should've melted. But I imagine that the circumstances I was in were so rare that this fix shouldn't have be made... What happened? I don't even really know for sure.
  7. The ability to sleep in a snow shelter. I know, it's a small thing, but I feel like not being able to sleep in a snow shelter is just odd.
  8. More guns. I know, this request may sound odd, but hear me out. The only real weapons that are currently in the game are the rifle and the bow (some would consider the flare gun to be a weapon, but I think it's a decoy), and that's just about it. It would be cool if a shotgun and revolver could be added. The revolver would be ideal for small game and self defense (suppose you get tackled by a wolf, you could aim it at its head and take a shot, potentially saving your life), and the shotgun could be used for bear hunting. The revolver also brings me into number 9...
  9. Better tackling struggles (or whatever they're called, I don't really know :P). Suppose you get tackled by a wolf. You mash spacebar until you either free yourself or get killed, whichever comes first. What if instead of mashing space, you have to actually aim and throw punches or stab at it manually. Hitting correct spots would fill up the bar at the bottom of the screen just like mashing the space bar would. This would be the same with a knife or an axe, only they would fill the bar up much quicker than a fist. You can't fight back against bears this way, though. Also, if the revolver would be applied here, the player could aim and take a shot at the wolf, and whether or not the shot hit, then the wolf would take significant damage. If the shot hits the torso, then it would run off and hide. If it hits the head, the wolf falls dead atop the player, and can be harvested for meat, hide, and guts. Bears, on the other hand, can be fought back against with a revolver. But, you only have a split second to take the shot, and if you don't end up hitting the bear directly between the eyes, the bear becomes aggravated and brings the player down to around 5% condition from 100%, instead of the average of 9%. If the shot hits the bear directly between the eyes, then it runs off in pain, and will die in about 30 minutes. If you take this shot and get away successfully, you will be at around 35-50% condition.
  10. Snowmobiles. They could run off fuel which could be located across the game map, and store up to 30lbs of weight in a storage compartment. Additionally, they could travel at a constant speed twice as fast as a sprint. It would certainly make moving camp much easier, and traveling the wilderness quicker.
  11. Fix climbing. I (as stated before) am a rock climber. I'm am in no way in good shape, and I'm by no means an 'expert'. But I've climbed for as long as I can remember. In the Long Dark, it seems that you get to the base of a mountaineering rope, climb up 50' at full energy, and then once at the top, you must immediately sleep. This is absurd. I've hiked 6 miles, gotten to the base of a 5.8 (hard) 6 pitch trad, climbed it with a 60 pound pack, hiked at the end of it for 3 more miles, then engaged in a fairly active evening before going to bed. I'm an average joe who like rock climbing, and climb harder than that professional survivalist/bushpilot guy in TLD. I think this needs a serious fix.

That's about it! Let me know what you guys think, and thanks for the read! :D   

I'm not sure about snowmobiles...I think crafting skis or snow shoes would be more likely. Anything that requires an electric starter won't work in the world they're creating. Unless you're proposing this be a match-lite snowmobile.

Unless I'm mistaken, I've been able to sleep in a snow shelter. It could be that you have to be warm enough...not sure. But I'm pretty sure I've done that.

Agree on heat penalties for the forge...maybe you need to shed warm gear or step away for a bit.

I think the limit on food diversity suggests that the stores have already been ransacked and you're finding all that's left. That's why they're mostly completely empty. And you're only encountering frozen corpses and not people eating all that food.

I also like the idea of more wildlife, especially foxes and owls. Owls could add a nice creepy element to the nighttime. Maybe the occasional elk or moose.

A pistol would be cool, in addition to the rifle. A scope for the rifle would be brilliant too!

Here's my laundry list of ideas after playing for 100 days in-game:

• Make spears with axes and large pieces of wood - better for fending off wolves; possibly throwing at deer
  • What happens when I run out of matches? Starting a fire with friction! Two sticks and some gut perhaps...
  • Keeping meat outside for freshness (frozen!) - a way to use metal containers and bury it in the snow to keep predators away; or in drawers in the ice fishing huts?
  • Harvesting reed grass to make baskets, clothing, etc. Low durability, but possible.
  • Third person view? Or an unlocked view, like the Fallout games - good for screenshots
  • Boil water or melt snow while I rest, fish, etc.
  • Some way to craft a whet stone?
  • Bring rabbits with me to harvest back at a shelter since they're light
  • Make pemmican! Or smoking meat to preserve for long trips or storage
  • Maybe hack a wooden stove to make a meat-smoker? 
  • Make splints for pain out of old man's beard/bandages and sticks
  • Not completely use up a book when making a fire (use in percentages, like sewing kits)
  • 1st person view makes me feel like I'm almost crawling on the ground...could be a little higher perspective?
  • Combine ingredients for more calories (e.g. tomato soup + rabbit meat)
  • Love the art style (just a comment here, not an idea)
  • Arrow heads from scrap? Or simple arrows with just a carved point? Maybe less effective, but easier to make
  • Use shelves for storage?
  • Pick up drop stones to leave trails or markers for easier navigation? E.g., build cairns! Or, use a knife to mark a tree
  • Add items crafted to journal entries, including failed attempts
  • "Train" wolves with meat gifts? At least reduce the likelihood of attack
  • Craft boots or pants out of wolf or bear hide too? - or at least use as repair?

Hi @SierraNevada and @Kleronomas Welcome to TLD forum !! :D

3 hours ago, SierraNevada said:

More Wildlife. I feel like that the wildlife isn't particularly diverse in this game. It's just wolves, bears, rabbits and deer (and crows, if you are willing to count them). It would be cool to see a greater diversity of animals in this game by including foxes, owls, rodents, as well as different bear and wolf skins so that they all don't look the same.

More animal  are on the way !!!

@SierraNevada and @Kleronomas you can check road map if you want !!  http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/ 

EASTER EGGS! It would be so, so, SOOOOO awesome to egg hunt in this beauty of a game. I would love to find some secret items, or maybe on a full moon in a very specific part of the map, a werewolf appears that guards a secret item. Or maybe (this would be a cheap one), make it so that if a player goes idle for a good amount of time at night and then turns around quickly, a dark figure can be seen fleeing from the player with alarming pace. Just a few ideas.

It been suggested before !! 

The ability to sleep in a snow shelter. I know, it's a small thing, but I feel like not being able to sleep in a snow shelter is just odd.

It's added i guess !! 

3 hours ago, Kleronomas said:

1st person view makes me feel like I'm almost crawling on the ground...could be a little higher perspective?

Remember you are probably sinking a foot or so into the snow. Doesn't work then you are on solid surfaces, but I always figured that that's why you are lower then normal.

9 hours ago, SierraNevada said:
  • More Wildlife. I feel like that the wildlife isn't particularly diverse in this game. It's just wolves, bears, rabbits and deer (and crows, if you are willing to count them). It would be cool to see a greater diversity of animals in this game by including foxes, owls, rodents, as well as different bear and wolf skins so that they all don't look the same.
  •  

Moose and cougars are on the roadmap along with seasons, so we might just see that!

• EASTER EGGS! It would be so, so, SOOOOO awesome to egg hunt in this beauty of a game. I would love to find some secret items, or maybe on a full moon in a very specific part of the map, a werewolf appears that guards a secret item. Or maybe (this would be a cheap one), make it so that if a player goes idle for a good amount of time at night and then turns around quickly, a dark figure can be seen fleeing from the player with alarming pace. Just a few ideas.
  •  

I agree on the sentiment, but I'd like the supernatural aspect be left out. There's plenty of good games about the supernatural, conspiracies and wars and I'd like TLD to be as different as it is right now.

• A more in-depth medical treatment and injury/illness system. When you get an intestinal parasite, you can't just pop two pills and then you're good to go, you have to constantly take more and more medicine and refrain from eating certain foods. I feel like treatment should be more intensive than just popping a couple pills (there are a couple exceptions to the rule, as I feel like treatment to minor scratches and bites are good in terms of treatment). It would also be cool to create a percentage chance to catch a random minor sickness, which is influenced by your overall health. Also, I find the lack of suturing and mental ailments to be rather odd. Surely, after just barely surviving being mauled by a bear you would be in serious shock and have wounds that would require suturing. How would you treat shock? Filling up your hunger and thirst bars, staying above freezing, being indoors, and comfortable. And that leads me to my next idea...
  •  

Agreed.

• Comfort Meter. Having an incredibly slowly draining meter of overall comfort would be awesome. This comfort meter simply sums up the overall well being and comfort of the survivor. This meter is influenced by all other meters, how long it has been since the survivor has last been indoors, how much killing the survivor has done since his/her last rest/sleep, injuries recently sustained, and stuff like that. It could be refilled slightly by eating and drinking, be refilled somewhat by passing time (or spending time with a non-hostile npc, if they're ever introduced), and refilled greatly be spending a long time indoors, warm, and/or sleeping.
  •  

Well, the upcoming willpower system will most likely be for you ;)

• More diversity among food items. I mean, come on. A store filled with nothing but cans of condensed milk, granola bars, pork 'n' beans, canned peaches and summit soda? I find that hard to believe. I'm not mad or anything, I'm just saying it's weird to have an inventory filled with nothing but beef jerky after a lengthy day spent scavenging.
  •  

Agreed.

• Heat penalties near the forge. I won't dive into it or anything, but one time I heated up the crashed ship on Desolation Point to the same temperature as the surface of the sun using the forge. I should've died and the ship should've melted. But I imagine that the circumstances I was in were so rare that this fix shouldn't have be made... What happened? I don't even really know for sure.
  •  

So, maybe the flares from your sun-hot forge travelled back in time and retroactively caused the event to happen :D just kidding, this is a nice idea but low priority for me, since hot temperatures occure very rarely in the game.

• The ability to sleep in a snow shelter. I know, it's a small thing, but I feel like not being able to sleep in a snow shelter is just odd.
  •  

We can't? Huh, that's weird. Agreed.

• More guns. I know, this request may sound odd, but hear me out. The only real weapons that are currently in the game are the rifle and the bow (some would consider the flare gun to be a weapon, but I think it's a decoy), and that's just about it. It would be cool if a shotgun and revolver could be added. The revolver would be ideal for small game and self defense (suppose you get tackled by a wolf, you could aim it at its head and take a shot, potentially saving your life), and the shotgun could be used for bear hunting. The revolver also brings me into number 9...
  •  

Again, I do agree on the sentiment. I'd even agree on more guns - under one condition: Increase the diversity, but not the amount of guns. I know many will disagree with me here, but I think that's the only balanced way to add more guns.

• Better tackling struggles (or whatever they're called, I don't really know :P). Suppose you get tackled by a wolf. You mash spacebar until you either free yourself or get killed, whichever comes first. What if instead of mashing space, you have to actually aim and throw punches or stab at it manually. Hitting correct spots would fill up the bar at the bottom of the screen just like mashing the space bar would. This would be the same with a knife or an axe, only they would fill the bar up much quicker than a fist. You can't fight back against bears this way, though. Also, if the revolver would be applied here, the player could aim and take a shot at the wolf, and whether or not the shot hit, then the wolf would take significant damage. If the shot hits the torso, then it would run off and hide. If it hits the head, the wolf falls dead atop the player, and can be harvested for meat, hide, and guts. Bears, on the other hand, can be fought back against with a revolver. But, you only have a split second to take the shot, and if you don't end up hitting the bear directly between the eyes, the bear becomes aggravated and brings the player down to around 5% condition from 100%, instead of the average of 9%. If the shot hits the bear directly between the eyes, then it runs off in pain, and will die in about 30 minutes. If you take this shot and get away successfully, you will be at around 35-50% condition.
  •  

Personally, I like the current struggles as they are, but I can see your point. As for bears, making them invincible in melee is pretty cheap, so I agree with you here. There are numerous accounts of people successfully driving off a bear by stabbing or hitting it with things or just good old-fasioned punches to their furry faces, which is aweome and makes me wonder just how many metric tons of testicles/ovaries these people carry around :D 

10 hours ago, SierraNevada said:
  • Snowmobiles. They could run off fuel which could be located across the game map, and store up to 30lbs of weight in a storage compartment. Additionally, they could travel at a constant speed twice as fast as a sprint. It would certainly make moving camp much easier, and traveling the wilderness quicker.
  •  

Interesting, but no - their engines are electrically triggered, thus making them just as mobile as the cars in the game world.

10 hours ago, SierraNevada said:
  1. Fix climbing. I (as stated before) am a rock climber. I'm am in no way in good shape, and I'm by no means an 'expert'. But I've climbed for as long as I can remember. In the Long Dark, it seems that you get to the base of a mountaineering rope, climb up 50' at full energy, and then once at the top, you must immediately sleep. This is absurd. I've hiked 6 miles, gotten to the base of a 5.8 (hard) 6 pitch trad, climbed it with a 60 pound pack, hiked at the end of it for 3 more miles, then engaged in a fairly active evening before going to bed. I'm an average joe who like rock climbing, and climb harder than that professional survivalist/bushpilot guy in TLD. I think this needs a serious fix.

Exhaustion in general is.... peculiar right now, but probably related to game-time-balancing (we get more hours of daylight than we should). 

1. Yes

2. Yes, turn it into another generic game with some weird absurd features that take away immersion.

3. Medical part could use expansion and alternative treatment methods. Parasites are absurd feature to begin with, at least their implementation.

4. Another great way to destroy immersion by forcing player to behave in certain generic ways that completely discard player personal approach or worldview. Sitting on my ass indoors doing nothing is somehow supposed to make me feel better. No thx.

5. Its not a supermarket. Altho some additional stuff, like bags of rise or potatoes and various nonperishables would make sense.

6. I couldnt even heat it up to 200 degrees, so i have no idea what youre talking about. And even that heat is IN the forge, outside of it it would dissipate fairly fast.

7. Dont know if they fixed snow shelter, it used to be completely op. But if they did, sure, why not. If you freeze to death in it, it would be a good tradeoff.

8. Yes.

9. Discussed. No one, so far, came up with a better idea on how to do it. And qtes are universally hated and are generally horrible feature to add to the game. Especially if you have to do them all the time.

Also, if shot from revolver hits bear between the eyes, it will first stun it for a few seconds and then piss it off, resulting in bear ripping player apart, literally. Human cant fight bear, period(well, they can, just not for long). Ursus arctos are a lot heavier and a lot lot lot stronger than homo sapiens, they can break human in two or disembowel person in one swipe of a paw. Having some absurd notion that human can directly engage one of those in melee and get out alive is nonsense.

10. Snowmobiles use electrical ignition.

11. Yes, climbing is way 2 exhausting. Tiredness is rather absurd in general. Player tires extremely fast and recovers in the same weird way.

Also, taming wolves is not really a good idea. Sure, you can habituate it, by making less fearful of players, but they still remain wild animals and will attack without second thought. Habituation does not make wild animals friendly.

On 10/28/2016 at 6:36 AM, Dirmagnos said:

2. Yes, turn it into another generic game with some weird absurd features that take away immersion.

I can understand where you're coming from, and it seems that most other people feel this way as well. In retrospect, I suppose it would be very weird and take away immersion significantly.

4. Another great way to destroy immersion by forcing player to behave in certain generic ways that completely discard player personal approach or worldview. Sitting on my ass indoors doing nothing is somehow supposed to make me feel better. No thx.

Much like with the easter eggs, I thought about it for a while after posting, and I realize now how dumb that is :P

10. Snowmobiles use electrical ignition.

I gave that idea without much knowledge of the situation that TLD was in. Now, I think it would be cool to have some sort of sled.

Archived