This tomato soup is making me thirsty

LucidFugue

This is a totally minor thing that nonetheless bugs me as it feels counter intuitive. Why does tomato soup do nothing to your thirst bar? Pinnacle peaches and evaporated milk both give hydration as well as calories, while most foods dehydrate slightly owing to digestion. 

I don't know how much salt is in this tomato soup, but I would have thought it would be a net positive for hydration. 

The only reason I can think of is condensed tomato soup. That needs milk or water to dilute it when you're cooking the soup. Otherwise it's super concentrated and probably would take a little extra water to digest.

Hopefully this is something that is either fixed/addressed/made more obvious with the planned improvements to cooking.

My assumption also is the soup is condensed.  If you were cooking it normally you'd dump the can in the pot, then dump an equal amount of water into it as well to make it 'soup'.  Without that extra can of water, it doesn't really help your thirst much.

Although I will note that I think the amount of hydration you get from peaches seems a bit high,  and that I think condensed milk should give no measureable hydration.

On 11.10.2016 at 4:23 AM, LucidFugue said:

This is a totally minor thing that nonetheless bugs me as it feels counter intuitive. Why does tomato soup do nothing to your thirst bar? Pinnacle peaches and evaporated milk both give hydration as well as calories, while most foods dehydrate slightly owing to digestion. 

I don't know how much salt is in this tomato soup, but I would have thought it would be a net positive for hydration. 

evaporated milk XD

On 18/10/2016 at 9:42 PM, jonas1988 said:

evaporated milk XD

Haha, I guess that is also counter intuitive. But it's not evaporated to the point of becoming powdered. Apparently only 60% of the water content is boiled off. I have a bunch of cans  for an ice cream sandwich recipe I was planning. I've since gone on a health kick which means fewer desserts though, so I haven't found a use for the stuff. 

5 hours ago, LucidFugue said:

Haha, I guess that is also counter intuitive. But it's not evaporated to the point of becoming powdered. Apparently only 60% of the water content is boiled off. I have a bunch of cans  for an ice cream sandwich recipe I was planning. I've since gone on a health kick which means fewer desserts though, so I haven't found a use for the stuff. 

It is called condensed milk in the game. I thought it was funny since you called it the opposite. I have never heard of evaporated milk before, but english is not my native language, so if that is also a thing, then it wasnt as funny after all:/

Archived