Snow shelter vs. Fishing hut

brian71mm

Not sure if this is right but twice now I've noticed while resting that it seems like the snow shelter offers more protection and warmth than the fishing hut with the door at mystery lake. I ended up dying twice during a storm due to hypothermia in tho fishing hut yet when sleeping in the snow shelter I'm just fine. 

The fishing hut is treated as an outdoor area but with wind protection. There's no real protection from the cold unless you are using the little wood stove inside. I believe the snow shelter is intended to be better than that. I'm not sure how realistic that is, but think igloos.

• 1 month later...

As far as I know the snow shelter shouldn't provide more insulation and I've learned this from personal experience in the military. As the temperature drops around you so does the ground and everything else. The snow shelter as well seems somewhat more open. 

Well, the fact that snow shelters are warmer than fishing huts is rather a design choice than a bug. I'll thus move this thread to the Feedback forums.

As @Ape88 already mentioned, fishing huts have a stove, but their interior temperature is simply the outdoor temperature minus windchill. From a mechanistical point of view, they're basically like the front part of a cave. They also don't have to be constructed, but are premade.

Snow shelters on the other hand require some materials and working time to build them. As they also don't have a stove (= no means to further increase the interior temperature in case a blizzard starts), they have a certain temperature bonus by default instead. Pretty much like the mountaineer's hut or the back part of a cave - the temperature inside is definitely influenced by the outdoor temperature, but you always get a certain temperature bonus (+15°C or so, I don't recall the exact number) by default.

Depending on the mode snow shelters can still be death traps nevertheless. Even with a bearskin bedroll and full fur clothes one can freeze inside a snow shelter during a nocturnal blizzard on Interloper. It's thus always a good advice not to sleep for more than 2-3 hours in a row outdoors, at least in certain experience modes.

As @Scyzara pointed out, snow shelters are in fact warmer that the huts.  Once possible reason for this is the mechanics of a snow shelter are similar to that of an igloo.  The air in the snow surrounding you can act as an insulator and by doing so, set a base temp inside that is more static around freezing.  Of course all analogies break down eventually...the fact that the in-game snow shelter has an open front would somewhat change the actual insulating properties of the shelter versus an actual one, but that aside, there would seem to be a very acceptable basis for allowing the snow shelters to have the bonus that they currently have.

Just my 2¢

Archived