Game keeps crashing at random times in open areas

icymega

The rare times my game crashes, then it is always heat related. Unity is a CPU intensive gaming engine. TLD is created using this engine. All thought there has been improvements... It still demands a lot.

1] If you have multiple fans (Chassis:Top,Side,Front,Rear and CPU, GPU fans), then install an APP to monitor heat output and possible fan control. 
https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner ) MSI Afterburner works for all systems, even if they don't use MSI video cards.

2] Be sure your BIOS has not hard set the CPU fan speed to fixed RPM or any other fans.

3] IF GPU fans, make sure your vendor driver software is able to dynamically control the fans.

4] You may want to consider tuning the game graphics down a bit, smaller screen or lowered graphics etc. Do so one setting at a time, go to large open map, wait 20min real-world time to see if it can hold.

5] If you rely only on Intel I-core series graphics, then consider cleaning it from dust, and re-apply new CPU thermal cooling paste and or replace the CPU fan with big fan model and with lowered RPMs etc.

i guess with no luck...

can you update your graphic driver and try again?

PS output_log is clear. can you attach a new one just after crash?
are there any directories in %Steam_dir%\SteamApps\common\TheLongDark\, that named as dates? can you attach them too?
Game crush with what kind of text?

20 hours ago, shw said:

i guess with no luck...

can you update your graphic driver and try again?

PS output_log is clear. can you attach a new one just after crash?
are there any directories in %Steam_dir%\SteamApps\common\TheLongDark\, that named as dates? can you attach them too?
Game crush with what kind of text?

I have updated my drivers and its still been happening this is what shows after i go over details of the application not responding.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1
  Application Name:    tld.exe
  Application Version:    5.4.0.51563
  Application Timestamp:    57b8e8c3
  Hang Signature:    6088
  Hang Type:    0

@icymega
I have this problem too. I think I've found the cause too, at least for me.

The problem seems to have to do with footprints. If you look at ground with a very close footprint on it for too long (about 10-20 seconds, though as little as only a second or two) the display driver will crash. For me this manifests as the screen stalling for about 2 seconds, then going black for about 5 seconds as things reset. When the screen finally does come back, there are two possible outcomes: A.) with DX10 going, I get a fully white screen, and it's impossible to continue playing, B.) with DX9 going, everything except the ground will load and footprint decals are corrupted. So mostly I play with DX9 going. After a crash, if I keep walking around enough, sections of the ground will begin to reload, though this can take a while (until then, I get to enjoy seeing sky, tree roots, and the under bellies of large rocks, through an invisible floor). If I continue to allow myself to look at the now corrupted footprints (which appear as black footprint shapes with no depth), the driver crashes will continue to happen and eventually the game will crash outright. This also explains why the crashes only seem to happen outdoors (you don't leave footprints on wood or ice).

There are a number of common situations which force you to look down. For example:
Harvesting Animals; the camera will pan almost straight down, and you will likely find yourself staring at at least one footprint.
Interacting with a fire; again the camera will pan down, increasing the odds of seeing a footprint.
Breaking up branches; the camera doesn't pan down for this, but you do tend to have to look down.
Placing a bedroll near a fire; since if there is a nearby fire, you tend to have stepped nearby, when you go to place your bed roll, you often must back up or pan camera around the fire, and tend to see footprints. This can be very frustrating if you're trying to invoke a save while outdoors (without freezing to death).

Workarounds:
Whenever I find my driver crashing, I spam the escape button and keep panning the mouse to look skyward, so I wont see any more footprints and the crashes will stop.
I keep my FOV at minimum to make the screen smaller and reduce the odds of a footprint showing up, especially in harvesting/fire menus.
Be very careful when you go to set fires, or collect wood, and especially harvest from animal corpses, You must approach each item in an order so that your trail never crosses itself. Be especially thoughtful when harvesting animals, since not only will the camera pan down, but also spin around to orient your view toward the animal's belly. If you've approached from any side of the animal that isn't it's belly, your footprints will very likely be visible.

So, that's what seems to be causing my outdoor crashes anyway... can you confirm if this is also your issue?

P.S.
The machine that these crashes happen on is running an NVidia GeForce GT 240 with driver version 341.95

Archived