Hi, Forum Newbie

markala5

Hello all! I go by markala5 and I mainly play on Steam, with widely varying genre interest, and actually TLD rekindled my love of survival (that weren't horror) fictions again. Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet" series[the Winter AU is still my fav], My Side of the Mountain, The Road, etc. were some of my favorite books of all time growing up, I'm a total bookworm. I've been playing TLD since alpha only had Mystery Lake but never really looked at the forums until recently, and now I can post because account, YAY! TLD has been such an exciting and interesting gaming experience for me that just keep on giving, I actually hadn't played the Penitent Scholar update until a week ago(lots of stressful life things do not a good gaming environment make). I used to live in Florida(pretty much my whole life), but then I moved up to Maine almost a year ago, and am now practically within spitting distance of Canada (first winter was interesting; so much shovel).

1 hour ago, markala5 said:

Hello all! I go by markala5 and I mainly play on Steam, with widely varying genre interest, and actually TLD rekindled my love of survival (that weren't horror) fictions again. Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet" series[the Winter AU is still my fav], My Side of the Mountain, The Road, etc. were some of my favorite books of all time growing up, I'm a total bookworm. I've been playing TLD since alpha only had Mystery Lake but never really looked at the forums until recently, and now I can post because account, YAY! TLD has been such an exciting and interesting gaming experience for me that just keep on giving, I actually hadn't played the Penitent Scholar update until a week ago(lots of stressful life things do not a good gaming environment make). I used to live in Florida(pretty much my whole life), but then I moved up to Maine almost a year ago, and am now practically within spitting distance of Canada (first winter was interesting; so much shovel).

Welcome! Great to see veteran players coming in out of the cold to say hello. :coffee:

Grab a warm drink and stay a while. :insanity_fluffy:

3 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Welcome to the forums! We have a constant +5°c warmth bonus and sometimes there's free coffee :coffee:

How's Maine like? I have always been interested in New England in general.

What are your favorite maps? Preferred hunting style? 

:)

Fav map has always been a toss-up between Coastal Highway & Pleasant Valley, it was the first of many updates and in my head, I always figured my char was all like "HOLY SHIT CIVILIZATIO- Gdammit wolves everywhere! F*ck the Wolf-trap, I'm going to Pleasant Valley."

Maine is an interesting shift from Florida, Florida weather is always like, Spring: hot, Summer: AKA Satan & Helios vacation here don't let the humidity melt you on your way to the beach, you better pay for AC, Fall: still hot, savor those rare mild days, they don't come often enough, Winte-BAHAHA, what winter? That one-two days of cool weather before the cycle of hot-hotter-hottest-less hot begins all over again? I also used to live in the city, where walmart & a slew of other stores were within walking distance, now I live in a Township where the nearest civilization is a 30min drive in either direction. The interesting thing is that while an export and in great supply, none of the locals I know (which is basically my Dad's family) like to eat their lobster (lobster bisque is the best soup EVER, I'm in heaven). Seriously, the entrance to Calais has a bridge that goes to Canada half and hour from where I live along with a duty-free store on Maine-side. Winter was an experience too, I'd never really had to shovel snow before and I live on an incline, so good luck to me trying to get my little car up the hill to the road. But living in Maine feels, really close to nature, like there are these empty houses along the highway (I live along a veeeery long/remote highway) that just get swallowed up by nature after a few years/winters of no people. There are a bunch of these little family gravesites scattered along the roads, tucked into little clearings in so many places, and there's one I like passing where there's this skeleton of an old cottage, and the only thing that's left standing is this old, stone fireplace and its crumbling foundation. It's always this treat to go down to the nearest big, big city, Bangor (which is like 4hrs of travel time) and I appreciate going to the city more than back when I was less than spitting distance. Maine is the one place where I get deer in my front yard (we have a crab apple tree) at night/early morning, they're adorable.

My fav hunting style is gun, snare or fish, though I know I'll have to learn to use the bow properly so I stop wasting bullets or bum-rushing into wolves (me and the bow have a love-hate relationship, on one hand it's frickin' awesome on the other... I'm not sure if it's my derpy computer or not, but I can't aim for crap, just, argggh. And maple sapling spawns have never been that kind to me) Though I've started to love Desolation Point, I love holing up in the lighthouse because I'm big on fanfic and making up stories for my character.

Archived