Ability to extinguish a fire

Hoseman143

With resources as scarce as they are, it would make sense that we can put a fire out.

Maybe a fire log would degrade into a charred log, that would only give you 45 minutes of burn time (just used as an example) if you put the fire out before it was done. It seems wasteful to me to sit and watch a fire burn when you are warm, aren't cooking food, and aren't melting/boiling water.

You would never squander your resources like this in a real situation...you would want to get the very most out of what you have. Under this situation, you can either sit idle, and watch the fire burn for no reason...or head out into the world to take on the days activities, knowing that the fire is burning behind you in the shelter and you will get no benefit from it.

I think that would be a good option to have. However, aside from the aforementioned resource conservation, there is no real mechanical game value in putting out a fire. A fire provides safety from animals. That being said, when survivors are introduced, if a fire would attract potentially dangerous survivors, being able to extinguish a fire would be of great benefit.

I was talking more about the fire in the stove of (random building) that you don't need because you are warm...but don't want to leave for 45 min (burning calories and getting thirsty) when you COULD be out looking for more food and wood, but campfires could be done in the same way - put it out to save the wood. I don't really care that while I'm down the tracks at the dam, a wolf happens to be where I camped last night at the tunnel collapse. I'd rather have the wood there to go back later and either use again there...or pick up and take with me to a new location.

I'm not sure how you would put out the fire while maintaining it's usefullness... If you throw snow on it, it's useless.

I could see it working in a stove if you snuff it out though.

Or, have the option to make it burn longer for warmth but not be hot enough for cooking/melting/boiling. Of course, I am fairly certain a wood burning stove does not have a heat dial.

Or, have the option to make it burn longer for warmth but not be hot enough for cooking/melting/boiling. Of course, I am fairly certain a wood burning stove does not have a heat dial.

You'd be surprised. You can manage the fuel and heat output much more efficiently by controlling the airflow and dampening.

• 7 months later...

Searched the forum for my idea and found this thread so here it goes.

I started a new game this weekend and ran into a problem. I was on my way from the trappers homestead to the tracks when I got ambushed by a blizzard. Being a fresh spawn, I was not prepared to travel through this storm so I hunkered down in the tunnel behind the train car and built a fire. Long story short, when the blizzard finally ended after one of several naps, I was pinned in my hiding place by my own camp fire with 30+ minutes remaining. I tried to creep around it but got burnt anyway. It seems that the ability to put out a fire could be a useful addition to the game even if there is no chance of recovering the fuel. When AI are added I expect that a camp fire could draw a lot of attention and the ability to put it out as needed to avoid detection would be a plus.. Not to mention I wouldn't be trapping myself anymore.

Adding the ability to snuff the fire should be relatively easy (takes a few minutes) but you would ruin the wood. While this is not realistic, it would allow a player to leave after they hemmed themselves in. This would be the player kicking the wood around, tossing snow onto the fire and/or dousing it with water.

Green wood can be burned, it's just not an efficient or hot burn. Wet wood can be burned once it is dried by an already burning fire.

Wonder if forage for green wood could be an option that could produce more wood but that is harder to light unless it is first dried out over an existing fire. Would probably need a tool though. This would make for a good economical source of fuel in the event that you are trying to stay in place with a lit fire for an extended period.

Green wood can be burned, it's just not an efficient or hot burn. Wet wood can be burned once it is dried by an already burning fire.

Wonder if forage for green wood could be an option that could produce more wood but that is harder to light unless it is first dried out over an existing fire. Would probably need a tool though. This would make for a good economical source of fuel in the event that you are trying to stay in place with a lit fire for an extended period.

Green wood takes quite a while to properly dry such as one year. It also drys faster when split and not left as a log. Though it will dry faster when stacked next to stove it still takes a very long time such as only six months.

Also it would be probable on this game to find two year supply of wood stacked near a building. Might also be possible to find stacks in nearby woods next to trees where it was being harvested.

THIS! Why didn't I think of this before?

Eta: I live in FLORIDA and even I have a wood pile!

Also it would be probable on this game to find two year supply of wood stacked near a building. Might also be possible to find stacks in nearby woods next to trees where it was being harvested.

THIS! Why didn't I think of this before?

Eta: I live in FLORIDA and even I have a wood pile!

LA (Lower Alabama) here and I have a cord of wood, covered and elevated in my backyard.

The thing is to have a benefit to extinguishing a fire. Like if you could go to a burned out fire and harvest it for charcoal, then use the charcoal in a later fire, Likewise extinguishing a stove fire could yield and amount of charcoal associated with the time left in the flame.

The thing is to have a benefit to extinguishing a fire. Like if you could go to a burned out fire and harvest it for charcoal, then use the charcoal in a later fire, Likewise extinguishing a stove fire could yield and amount of charcoal associated with the time left in the flame.

I would be happy not being trapped by my own stupidity. :oops:

nah man, its just brainstorming, you toss out and idea someone tosses it back, maybe they add something maybe they take something away. Besides there is no stupidity.... unless you want to add zombies

nah man, its just brainstorming, you toss out and idea someone tosses it back, maybe they add something maybe they take something away. Besides there is no stupidity.... unless you want to add zombies

I mean the stupidity where I pinned myself in with a camp fire. :oops: I got burnt trying to leave. :lol:

Archived