Hidden gameplay mechanics explained.

Hatchet

So, i already talked about the hidden wolf mechanic, which actually might just be a glitch.
Here are a couple of other hidden mechanics that aren't glitches.

-It's possible to extract fuel from one lantern and put it in another, simply have atleast 2 lanterns in your inventory and harvest 1, all the fuel from the harvested one will go into the other lantern(s), with that said (and i can't believe i didn't come up with this) but @elloco999 says that harvesting a lantern while having a jerrycan in your inventory will make the kerosine go into the jerry can.
-Harvesting frozen meat goes faster with a hatchet than with a knife,
-You can untie a climbing rope from a anchor.
-It is possible to do repairs or make things at night when under direct moonlight.
-When your rifle gets jammed and you unjam it, the rifle wil spit out the rifle round and it will be laying on the ground, dont forget to pick it back up.
-You can use the cave near the Tail Section on Timberwolf Mountain to cure hides and guts.

During the whiteout challenge;
-Kerosine in lanterns counts as kerosine.
Thee (medical and regular ) and coffee count as food

If you know of any, please let me know and i'll include them in the list
Even if you think it sounds stupid like being able to untie a rope, some people might now know about it (like me at first), if it's not explained anywhere.

~Hatchet

16 hours ago, elloco999 said:

If you have a jerry can in your inventory and you harvest a lantern, the fuel will go into the jerry can. But I believe this does not work with the small bottles of lamp oil you can find.

It does work with the small lantern fuel cans if they are not full. They also fill the better quality cans first, At least on Voyager. A trick I do is when I find extra low quality lanterns, I will drop all but the worst quality jerry cans or small cans, and fill up the lantern and then change the fuel cans for the better quality ones and harvest the lantern so all the fuel goes into the better cans.

With moonlight, you can craft at the work bench at night in the Mountaineer's Hut in TWM. I believe it's the only workbench like this.

It is possible to start research (read) outside about a half hour earlier/later than inside. I would have to double check to verify, but I think I got 14 hours done a few days.

6 hours ago, terryt3535 said:

With moonlight, you can craft at the work bench at night in the Mountaineer's Hut in TWM. I believe it's the only workbench like this.

There's the outdoor workbench at the fishing harbour bit on Coastal Highway. It ought to work there as well, no?

Not tried it myself, as I'm always tucked up warm in bed during night time (unless I've made some idiot mistake and got lost in the fog or something).

15 hours ago, Pillock said:

There's the outdoor workbench at the fishing harbour bit on Coastal Highway. It ought to work there as well, no?

Not tried it myself, as I'm always tucked up warm in bed during night time (unless I've made some idiot mistake and got lost in the fog or something).

I hadn't thought about that as an outside location for night crafting. It should be possible there but it's not very sheltered from the wind. I don't pay attention to night or day if I am rested and the temp outside isn't too cold.

On 2-9-2016 at 6:46 PM, terryt3535 said:

It is possible to start research (read) outside about a half hour earlier/later than inside. I would have to double check to verify, but I think I got 14 hours done a few days.

Already in the list, and it works anywhere as long as there's windows, holes, etc... and obviously also outside :D
The research thing you talk about is because as long as there's light you can research, repair, etc..., so when it gets dark inside but still light outside you can take advantage of that.

~Hatchet

Archived