A theory on why meat expires quickly on the long dark

Rifleman

My theory is : 

the geomagnetical event  had modified the animal's functionnig. Their brain has devellopped a "hormone" which incresead the amount of germ in the meat.  Therefore the meat discread faster and it easier to get sick by eating carnivore's meat

I have several, actually.

• It actually doesn't but our Survivor has some weird sort of stomach disease
  • Something leaked from a chemical factory nearby that destroys the animals immune system which leads to a larger initial buildup of bacteria which fastens spoilage
  • It's a cur- GIFT from Papa Nurgle!
  • It's a feature to keep you playing
  • Subliminal advertising for canned goods and fridges
  • Raph had some really bad food when he programmed those values
  • Illuminati?
  • Aliens?
  • The animals are actually cheap, Chinese knockoffs unlike the original Canadian ones built for eternity (TM)
  • Even in death, they still struggle against you. You are literally fighting undead animals with your stomach acid, how cool is that?

I never get why people find the current meat deterioration in TLD that 'unrealistic'. Ever tried to keep some non-preserved, non CO2-packaged (supermarket packets) meat above 0ºC? Unless stored under very well-controlled conditions (like when the meat is e.g. hung by a butcher)  it actually spoils faster than TLD meat indoors. The bigger the cutted surface, the faster the spoilage. And our character is most likely just cutting huge chunks of meat out of the carcass, creating large cutting surfaces. Besides, he/she's using the same knife for meat and guts. No wonder at all that ingame-meat doesn't last forever.

(To argue from an in-narrative point of view.)

As for frozen meat: While it may in reality indeed last for years, I for one don't find the TLD deterioration times problematic.  I mean frozen meat lasts several weeks already, why do you feel the need to store it longer? Unless you decide to kill two bears at once I can hardly imagine a situation when it's truely unavoidable to let meat rot away before you can eat it.

2 hours ago, Scyzara said:

I never get why people find the current meat deterioration in TLD that 'unrealistic'. Ever tried to keep some non-preserved, non CO2-packaged (supermarket packets) meat above 0ºC? Unless stored under very well-controlled conditions (like when the meat is e.g. hung by a butcher)  it actually spoils faster than TLD meat indoors. The bigger the cutted surface, the faster the spoilage. And our character is most likely just cutting huge chunks of meat out of the carcass, creating large cutting surfaces. Besides, he/she's using the same knife for meat and guts. No wonder at all that ingame-meat doesn't last forever.

As for frozen meat: While it may in reality indeed last for years, I for one don't find the TLD deterioration times problematic.  I mean frozen meat lasts several weeks already, why do you feel the need to store it longer? Unless you decide to kill two bears at once I can hardly imagine a situation when it's truely unavoidable to let meat rot away before you can eat it.

Personally, I don't really mind - even if it was unrealistic, it wouldn't be fun to kill one deer and be set for a couple of weeks. Just having some innocent fun in this thread ^_^

On 8/24/2016 at 6:27 AM, Rifleman said:

Create your own theory on why the meat in the long dark expires quickly.

My theory is the meat in the game is a placeholder for the 1$ burgers at McDonald's.

actually mcdonald burgers pretty much last forever due to the lack of moisture in them lol

17 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

leave a McDonald burger on the table for a week. If you eat it you will vomit it out.

probably, I just know because of the process they use it technically doesn't rot at a near decent rate. i've heard of mcdonald hamburgers being put in desks and years later they just look like dried out hockey pucks but no mold or rot.

On 8/26/2016 at 10:53 AM, Scyzara said:

Seriously ?!?1

Considering that most areas have temperatures comparable to those in the fridge, there is no way in hell that chunk of meat will spoil in 3 days. Same with outdoors and freezing. Were not talking about hot summer cupboard to be used as storage. And considering that temperature plays major role in terms of survival in tLD, but does practically nothing for meat is plain insulting.

Archived