Homes With Stories.

sir ice

I think it would be very cool if homes were all a little different. Imagine going into a coastal valley home and finding a old photo mounted on a wall. The picture shows some dude in WW2, with "Grandpa" written on the bottom. Wouldn't this kinda make the game more interesting? I remember when I first got the the big pleasant valley house I was touched by the kids bedrooms and the baby crib. I felt like someone actually lived in that house. What if more houses were like that?

2 hours ago, sir ice said:

I think it would be very cool if homes were all a little different. Imagine going into a coastal valley home and finding a old photo mounted on a wall. The picture shows some dude in WW2, with "Grandpa" written on the bottom. Wouldn't this kinda make the game more interesting? I remember when I first got the the big pleasant valley house I was touched by the kids bedrooms and the baby crib. I felt like someone actually lived in that house. What if more houses were like that?

There is some photography and artwork to find in some of the dwellings in the game. It is rendered to be somewhat indistinct, but I'm always curious to see if stories emerge for players from these environments. 

I agree with this idea, though I usually make up those stories for myself in the sandbox, just like I make up my own character backgrounds (I'm big into roleplaying). I always like to imagine that the family in the farmhouse in PV, the one with the children's room, made it out alive and safely and their kid is fine - anything else would make me cry :D I'd also be interested in giving the nameless corpses some background sometimes. Granted, their locations and loot oftentimes implies how they died and who they were.

On 8/7/2016 at 4:21 AM, Wastelander said:

I agree with this idea, though I usually make up those stories for myself in the sandbox, just like I make up my own character backgrounds (I'm big into roleplaying). I always like to imagine that the family in the farmhouse in PV, the one with the children's room, made it out alive and safely and their kid is fine - anything else would make me cry :D I'd also be interested in giving the nameless corpses some background sometimes. Granted, their locations and loot oftentimes implies how they died and who they were.

I also agree! In fact, this game and it's atmosphere has provided me with more creative writing prompts than I've had in years. I think this kind of thing is half of the allure of the game for me. Glad to see another person thinks about the story we aren't told in a similar way and takes the time to appreciate all of the little things that Hinterland has added in the art to set the atmosphere.

As a side note: I never realized how many dead bodies I came across until I started writing. Do you come up with a full background for everyone Wastelander or just for certain ones?

4 hours ago, Felli said:

As a side note: I never realized how many dead bodies I came across until I started writing. Do you come up with a full background for everyone Wastelander or just for certain ones?

Well, I do when I find them in unusual places - the ones outsides aren't of particular interest. But I do like to believe that the dead dude in the dam got mauled by Fluffy while fighting for his life, trying his best to get back home. The corpse in Camp Office, ML, is a clear-cut suicide case for me. Perhaps he was an employee there, maybe an intern, who couldn't make it back.

Archived