Resort House or Camp or a Lodge.

Alavic

While I was on vacation this week I saw a lot of inspiration while driving across country for The Long Dark. One of the things I think should go into the game would be something like a few remote resort houses on some of the maps. During my road trip I noticed while driving through Wyoming around Yellowstone is that there are a few huge get-away style houses in the middle of nowhere. I don't think it would be crazy to think that some rich person would build a mansion or a much larger building than we've seen yet in The Long Dark, maybe something that is like 3-4x the size of the Farmstead in Pleasant Valley. 

Other than a larger camp/mansion I also think that one thing lacking in The Long Dark is something like a resort area by one of the mountains. I think that in one of the new maps that there could be the possibility for a ski resort or something of the likes with a bunch of little personal cabins around a much bigger resort style building. 

Both of these buildings would have potential to have a unique atmospheric feeling to them in The Long Dark, something akin to when you find the Dam Center for the first time in the game. Even without these in the game however I have to send my compliments to the team. I've never put this much time into an early access game on steam before and have to say that everyone at Hinterlands has done an AMAZING job with the development and growth of this game.

Yes, absolutely. +1 More campgrounds. And give us some tents to camp with! You have it right, unique atmospheric feeling. I am absolutely the biggest fan of unique interiors, especially when there's appropriate clutter/decor to do a bit of subtle storytelling. I will be thrilled when all the houses aren't cookie cutouts of one another. Even more so I want to see the minutiae.. unique states of content/decay/cleanliness/etc. Mice, roaches. Rats. Collectables, stuff to look at. If each place is treated as unique there's so much more to see and explore.

So I'd be thrilled to see a big old, semi-creepy resort. :durbear:

On 2016-07-31 at 2:45 PM, Alavic said:

While I was on vacation this week I saw a lot of inspiration while driving across country for The Long Dark. One of the things I think should go into the game would be something like a few remote resort houses on some of the maps. During my road trip I noticed while driving through Wyoming around Yellowstone is that there are a few huge get-away style houses in the middle of nowhere. I don't think it would be crazy to think that some rich person would build a mansion or a much larger building than we've seen yet in The Long Dark, maybe something that is like 3-4x the size of the Farmstead in Pleasant Valley. 

Other than a larger camp/mansion I also think that one thing lacking in The Long Dark is something like a resort area by one of the mountains. I think that in one of the new maps that there could be the possibility for a ski resort or something of the likes with a bunch of little personal cabins around a much bigger resort style building. 

Both of these buildings would have potential to have a unique atmospheric feeling to them in The Long Dark, something akin to when you find the Dam Center for the first time in the game. Even without these in the game however I have to send my compliments to the team. I've never put this much time into an early access game on steam before and have to say that everyone at Hinterlands has done an AMAZING job with the development and growth of this game.

Clearly you have not driven through Northern Canada though, the resort at the lake with all the little cabins and the main cabin are quite large and extensive for some camps up north! 

On 8/3/2016 at 7:52 AM, EternityTide said:

Regarding the resort, what do you think those little cabins around Mystery Lake are for? Or the big central cabin that is the Camp office

Just saying, why not have a look at what the game already has before you make a suggestion to add something?

You must not have read when I said around a much bigger resort style building. Such as a lodge that usually has a bar, an information center, a gift shop, restaurant, etc. inside of it. I was not overlooking the Mystery Lake area. I was talking about expanding on that idea to make it something bigger, such as an interior the size of the Carter Hydro Dam that would be another unique and memorable area in The Long Dark. The Camp office isn't the type of size I'm talking about when I'm trying to say a larger resort style building. I had something in mind more like the two images below when talking about a lodge. ;p 

sunshine_lodge2.jpg

albreda-lodge-canada-1.jpg

Archived