Food, both found and cooked.

LloydNoise

Scavenge

• Nuts (most kinds of bagged nuts can last for months without being eaten)
  • Cooking oil (For cooking, not edible on it's own but essential for cooking certain recipes if devoid of fat)
  • Oats (Rolled oats, usually in a bag)
  • Flour (I would go for plain flour for difficulties sake)
  • Dried Fruits (Rather self explanatory)
  • Biscuits (I mean Biscuits in the British sense, not the American sense of the word. I don't know which one Canadians prefer)

Forage

• Nettles (Vitamins A,C and D, pretty much covered with this in a soup or tea)
  • Duck Potatoes (Ironically aren't eaten by ducks)
  • Mussels (I'd say saltwater as you can find them on rock pools or seaside rocks. Require a knife to open)
  • Fat (It's a good replacement for a world devoid of butter)
  • Clams (Same as Mussels)
  • Dandelions (They apparently taste worse in winter than they do in summer but hunger is the best sauce)

Cooking recipes:

• Trail mix (Combine your favourite packaged foods together into a resealable plastic bag)
  • Pan fried/Grilled Mussels or Clams (Using preferably cooking oil but I guess fat could be used)
  • Hardtack/Ships biscuits (Using plain flour and water, you can make biscuits that are difficult to eat without a liquid, but can last for literally years)
  • Porridge (Using water makes is taste blander, but you could probably add something sweet to rectify that)
  • Bannock/Tortilla (Two kinds of flat bread, Bannock requires a leavening agent, while a tortilla doesn't)
  • Clam chowder (I've only seen it made once, but you could make an okay clam chowder with just the clams, duck potatoes, cattails, condensed milk etc)

I can't think of anything else but considering the cooking system is getting a shake up, I'd thought I'd chuck in my bit for it.

I like the idea of nutrition and vitamins.   You can't really live off just venison for example, you'd get scurvy.  I also like the idea of more foraging for food, and I think its necessary if they're planning on having a long game for the sand box... maybe even growing crops.

1 hour ago, continuity said:

I like the idea of nutrition and vitamins.   You can't really live off just venison for example, you'd get scurvy.  I also like the idea of more foraging for food, and I think its necessary if they're planning on having a long game for the sand box... maybe even growing crops.

Definitely. Scurvy and having nutrition problems could be a thing to keep things complicated in the long game. After a while things get repetitive, but if one has to go and find variety to avoid getting sick it could do great things

On 7/24/2016 at 5:10 AM, LloydNoise said:

Scavenge

• Nuts (most kinds of bagged nuts can last for months without being eaten)
  • Cooking oil (For cooking, not edible on it's own but essential for cooking certain recipes if devoid of fat)
  • Oats (Rolled oats, usually in a bag)
  • Flour (I would go for plain flour for difficulties sake)
  • Dried Fruits (Rather self explanatory)
  • Biscuits (I mean Biscuits in the British sense, not the American sense of the word. I don't know which one Canadians prefer)

Forage

• Nettles (Vitamins A,C and D, pretty much covered with this in a soup or tea)
  • Duck Potatoes (Ironically aren't eaten by ducks)
  • Mussels (I'd say saltwater as you can find them on rock pools or seaside rocks. Require a knife to open)
  • Fat (It's a good replacement for a world devoid of butter)
  • Clams (Same as Mussels)
  • Dandelions (They apparently taste worse in winter than they do in summer but hunger is the best sauce)

Cooking recipes:

• Trail mix (Combine your favourite packaged foods together into a resealable plastic bag)
  • Pan fried/Grilled Mussels or Clams (Using preferably cooking oil but I guess fat could be used)
  • Hardtack/Ships biscuits (Using plain flour and water, you can make biscuits that are difficult to eat without a liquid, but can last for literally years)
  • Porridge (Using water makes is taste blander, but you could probably add something sweet to rectify that)
  • Bannock/Tortilla (Two kinds of flat bread, Bannock requires a leavening agent, while a tortilla doesn't)
  • Clam chowder (I've only seen it made once, but you could make an okay clam chowder with just the clams, duck potatoes, cattails, condensed milk etc)

I can't think of anything else but considering the cooking system is getting a shake up, I'd thought I'd chuck in my bit for it.

+1

I am very guilty of wanting this to become a kind of mini cooking simulator. Probably because of my love of food, culinary background, focus on minutiae, etc. I love to cook in real life, and I love games with puzzles that make you think - my hope for TLD being some wonderfully rich and complex recipe system with more first person presence, active interaction, failure chances, and things to do.. But, then again, that is my personal play style. Maybe some of us are here for completely different reasons and would be totally bored by having to actively prepare all their meals. I imagine the current system suits them just fine. I get totally lost in TLD and the more things that are available for me to do the further I am immersed. I want to be a homesteader. :silly:

Archived