Inability to "downgrade" bandages

cekivi

While playing recently I accidentally burned my character (self immolation is back in the game). The treatment for burns is a bandage and some painkillers. I had three old man's beard bandages and a dozen painkillers in my inventory. My character couldn't treat their burns :silly:

Essentially, my character could no longer recognize a bandage as being a bandage once some lichen was added to it. Now, this is very silly. You're not going to let your burns be exposed and fester just because the game says you can only use regular bandages. In this situation you'd just use the upgraded bandage and fume about wasting resources. Fortunately, I had some cloth to make regular bandages from in my inventory but it was still a really funny situation. You should always be able to use an upgraded item for its original purpose at the cost of losing the resources used to upgrade it. Otherwise I guarantee you'll have some frustrated players when they go to use bandages and the game says they can't despite having an inventory full of them (but upgraded with old man's beard).

45 minutes ago, cekivi said:

While playing recently I accidentally burned my character (self immolation is back in the game). The treatment for burns is a bandage and some painkillers. I had three old man's beard bandages and a dozen painkillers in my inventory. My character couldn't treat their burns :silly:

Essentially, my character could no longer recognize a bandage as being a bandage once some lichen was added to it. Now, this is very silly. You're not going to let your burns be exposed and fester just because the game says you can only use regular bandages. In this situation you'd just use the upgraded bandage and fume about wasting resources. Fortunately, I had some cloth to make regular bandages from in my inventory but it was still a really funny situation. You should always be able to use an upgraded item for its original purpose at the cost of losing the resources used to upgrade it. Otherwise I guarantee you'll have some frustrated players when they go to use bandages and the game says they can't despite having an inventory full of them (but upgraded with old man's beard).

Thanks for the feedback on this cekivi. Although we typically like for each item to have its own unique purpose, it's a good point you make about burns. A bandage that works to prevent infection would be a handy dressing, even if what the game is asking for are painkillers. I'll ask about it. 

4 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for the feedback on this cekivi. Although we typically like for each item to have its own unique purpose, it's a good point you make about burns. A bandage that works to prevent infection would be a handy dressing, even if what the game is asking for are painkillers. I'll ask about it. 

True that unbandaged burns should have an infection risk but you don't want to treat a burn with peroxide (let's add chemical burns to your heat burn!). It's more that I have an item in my inventory that's labelled as "old man's beard bandages" but I cannot use them as a bandage for burns :silly:

On 7/22/2016 at 9:38 PM, cekivi said:

True that unbandaged burns should have an infection risk but you don't want to treat a burn with peroxide (let's add chemical burns to your heat burn!). It's more that I have an item in my inventory that's labelled as "old man's beard bandages" but I cannot use them as a bandage for burns :silly:

A burn is a very real risk of infection, and should be treated by more than a regular bandage and painkillers. However, as you pointed out, Peroxide certainly would not be a very good choice. One more reason to replace the current disinfectant with small tubes of antibiotic cream.

Archived