List of Some Ideas

Gradientpixel

Below is just some of the ideas I have that may be of interest to add in the game. Let me know what you think and if anything needs further explanation.

• Snow blindness
  • Ability to craft snow goggles (prevents snow blindness)
  • Harvest coal from burned up fire
    • use charcoal to filter water
  • Add compass to remind player of geomagnetic storm
  • Skill in edible / non-edible plants
    • poison applied to weapons?
  • Craft darts / blow gun
  • Craft spear from long branch / stick by attaching knife to end
    • fish with, hunt with, defense, etc.
  • Craft very crude drawn map on paper
  • Branches fall when frozen over with ice
  • Environmental damage from extreme weather
  • Thin ice spots
  • Craft snow shoes

I like some of those ideas Grad :)

I spear is a nice idea. a knife or sharp bone or even sharpened stick could work. If you ever watch a super survival movie in the wilderness called The Edge, with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin, they make sharpened long spear branches and blacken the ends with ash i think to use to fight off a man eating grizzly. Its a great movie.

Also like the idea of weather damage to maybe some cabins or structures. Some already have it, like at the Dam. It has windows smashed out by the storm and ice and snow has come inside.

Thin ice is i think in the game but a kind of map edge border warning. That will be a nice idea for general ice areas too. 

Good list :)

23 hours ago, Gradientpixel said:

Below is just some of the ideas I have that may be of interest to add in the game. Let me know what you think and if anything needs further explanation.

• Snow blindness
  • Ability to craft snow goggles (prevents snow blindness)
  • Harvest coal from burned up fire
    • use charcoal to filter water
  • Add compass to remind player of geomagnetic storm
  • Skill in edible / non-edible plants
    • poison applied to weapons?
  • Craft darts / blow gun
  • Craft spear from long branch / stick by attaching knife to end
    • fish with, hunt with, defense, etc.
  • Craft very crude drawn map on paper
  • Branches fall when frozen over with ice
  • Environmental damage from extreme weather
  • Thin ice spots
  • Craft snow shoes

Hi Gradientpixel. welcome to from.:)
i like some of your idea. but i don't think we can craft snow goggles right now.
but i hope we can find them in future.

8 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

i like some of your idea. but i don't think we can craft snow goggles right now.
but we can find them

Nice, I did not know they existed in the game. From a quick glance looks like they can be made from wood, bark, or cardboard.

I have been playing for a little while now and seeing how I do with just Mystery Lake at the moment. So I am new to the game with lots to still discover. Btw, thank you for the welcome! :-)

22 hours ago, alone sniper said:

but we can find them

where do you find snow goggles at?  I have never saw them in the game and I've been playing almost a year.  

22 hours ago, Gradientpixel said:

Nice, I did not know they existed in the game. From a quick glance looks like they can be made from wood, bark, or cardboard.

I have been playing for a little while now and seeing how I do with just Mystery Lake at the moment. So I am new to the game with lots to still discover. Btw, thank you for the welcome! :-)

they didn't.
so sorry for mistake.
i will correct it.

Simple snow goggles are pretty effective - the Inuit have used them for millenia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_goggles

Snow blindness is nothing to trifle with so if it's added, which I support, it needs to be balanced and, probably, nerfed from it's real life counterpart, considering that permanent blindness is a realistic threat when facing snowblindness (or photoceratitis).

Charcoal is a nice idea as well, it's a worse fuel than actual coal but it's better than nothing. I don't think we need another method for water purification right now though - if you've got a fire, you have water.

A large compass in the lighthouse on DP that spins aimlessly would be pretty cool - could even be useful for predicting aurorae in the future?

Poison on weapons wouldn't really work - Canada does not have plants or mushrooms that have a quick-enough acting poison that can be applied to weapons. I'm all for a skill on finding edible plants though, since often poisonous plants look really innocent.

As for the blowgun, I'm against it. It's primary use is to shoot poisoned darts, which we aren't getting, and thus it's more or less useless.

I definitely agree on the spear and its uses!

4 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Simple snow goggles are pretty effective - the Inuit have used them for millenia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_goggles

Snow blindness is nothing to trifle with so if it's added, which I support, it needs to be balanced and, probably, nerfed from it's real life counterpart, considering that permanent blindness is a realistic threat when facing snowblindness (or photoceratitis).

Charcoal is a nice idea as well, it's a worse fuel than actual coal but it's better than nothing. I don't think we need another method for water purification right now though - if you've got a fire, you have water.

A large compass in the lighthouse on DP that spins aimlessly would be pretty cool - could even be useful for predicting aurorae in the future?

Poison on weapons wouldn't really work - Canada does not have plants or mushrooms that have a quick-enough acting poison that can be applied to weapons. I'm all for a skill on finding edible plants though, since often poisonous plants look really innocent.

As for the blowgun, I'm against it. It's primary use is to shoot poisoned darts, which we aren't getting, and thus it's more or less useless.

I definitely agree on the spear and its uses!

Really good points and I agree with you on them all. 

I especially liked your version of how to implement the compass in the game. 

I want to be able to tame a wild dog or something. Use it to hunt, move items, maybe feel less lonely while out in the woods. Not to mention the moral dilemma of eating your only friend in a last ditch effort to avoid starving to death.

Archived