Body armor

Wastelander

Hello, I guess, and here I am again with yet another request. If this forum was a hotel, I'd be the worst guest ever :D

Body armor. I'd like to see it, but not in the traditional sense of a kevlar vest or anything. However, fur and leather give at least some protective value, so I think that thick clothes, especially (but not limited to!) the caban and the wolf coat should give the player some kind of armor bonus.

Now, here's the catch: Aside from being heavy, they also slow the player down, as armor does.

Discuss! :)

A well-sharpened arrowhead will pass right through basically any leather in the game. Now, layers of cloth padding will slow down arrows, but they have to be thick/multiple layers, with the weave of the cloth set at angles to each other. 

Medieval cloth gambesons, which were either made from quilted cloth or from 10-20  layers of cloth sewed together, were around an inch thick, very insulating, and very restricting. 

No armor is necessary, in my opinion. If we get shot, we get shot

2 minutes ago, Boston123 said:

A well-sharpened arrowhead will pass right through basically any leather in the game. Now, layers of cloth padding will slow down arrows, but they have to be thick/multiple layers, with the weave of the cloth set at angles to each other. 

Medieval cloth gambesons, which were either made from quilted cloth or from 10-20  layers of cloth sewed together, were around an inch thick, very insulating, and very restricting. 

No armor is necessary, in my opinion. If we get shot, we get shot

I'm not talking about human-on-human combat here, more like a small damage reduction from wolf bites. Granted, anything saying 'small' usually gets rejected because of programming resources, and that'd be completely okay with me, but I just like to explore the idea.

Anyhow, thank you for your opinion!

Actually, the main bonus of bamboo armor was that it was cheap and the fact that blades could get stuck in it, forcing an opponent to discard their weapon. But yeah, attaching metal to clothes should at least soften wolf bites, if not downright stop them from occuring in at least that area.

Protecting your arms isn't actually that difficult - however, the armor will slow you down, be heavy and generally be a bother. However, metal pipes are easy to come by. The throat, which seems to be a main target of attack, is harder to protect though...

2 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

I'm not talking about human-on-human combat here, more like a small damage reduction from wolf bites. Granted, anything saying 'small' usually gets rejected because of programming resources, and that'd be completely okay with me, but I just like to explore the idea.

Anyhow, thank you for your opinion!

The thing about "armor" that many people don't understand is that it doesn't actually prevent damage. All armor does is "change" damage from one "type" to another. 

Wrapping scrap metal/fur/leather/etc around your limbs/suspending it on your torso won't prevent wolves from biting you, and it won't actually prevent the bites from damaging you. What it will do is prevent their teeth from shredding you. You could still get broken bones, deep-tissue bruising and damaged nerves and tendons. 

3 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

in the attack animations, the wolves bite your forearms, vambraces? wolves will soon regret bitng my forearms if I have metal vambraces on! :crying:

They are actually going for your throat. Your arms just get in the way because you are fighting back.

With lighter armor, yes. It all depends on the type of armor though - chainmail, to use a historical example, can't be cut but it can be shattered - personal experience here, btw. Rigid armor, however, is much harder to crush, but also harder to move in.

Armor ? For wolves max that player would have use 4 is bracers and neck protection. For remaining areas there is no way that player would be able to put together anything that would provide sufficient protection without practically destroying anything resembling practical mobility.

12 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Armor ? For wolves max that player would have use 4 is bracers and neck protection. For remaining areas there is no way that player would be able to put together anything that would provide sufficient protection without practically destroying anything resembling practical mobility.

A piece of scrap protecting the sternum? I think the armor ash wears in the army of darkness is what I'm thinking of...

12 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

This is correct actually, since bears are just unimaginably strong. However, at least arms, legs and the torso can be armored.

1 hour ago, Docterrok said:

A piece of scrap protecting the sternum? I think the armor ash wears in the army of darkness is what I'm thinking of...

I dont think that piece of scrap will protect your sternum. Wolf claws are fairly powerful, they may not go thru that piece of metal, but they will most likely tear it off... along with most that is underneath it. In this case mobility is better protection that anything else, keeping his jaws on your arm bracers and trying to shake him off at the same time, while hitting in the face(i believe it applied to dogs, that if hit between eyes with sufficient force it disorients them, plus nose is also extremely sensitive area).

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

This is correct actually, since bears are just unimaginably strong. However, at least arms, legs and the torso can be armored.

Bears are known to break or disembowel men in just 1 swipe. Main way of survival of bear attack is to do nothing or attempt to run away, so it comes down mostly to luck, if you are lucky enough for bear to lose interest in you. Arms, legs... unless youre wearing an exoskeleton, bear can tear them off, with a bit of effort, one by one, with or without armor(in armor its probably would even be easier for bear, something to sink teeth in, without all that skin and meat flaying off the bone as he pulls).

6 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

I dont think that piece of scrap will protect your sternum. Wolf claws are fairly powerful, they may not go thru that piece of metal, but they will most likely tear it off... along with most that is underneath it. In this case mobility is better protection that anything else, keeping his jaws on your arm bracers and trying to shake him off at the same time, while hitting in the face(i believe it applied to dogs, that if hit between eyes with sufficient force it disorients them, plus nose is also extremely sensitive area).

Bears are known to break or disembowel men in just 1 swipe. Main way of survival of bear attack is to do nothing or attempt to run away, so it comes down mostly to luck, if you are lucky enough for bear to lose interest in you. Arms, legs... unless youre wearing an exoskeleton, bear can tear them off, with a bit of effort, one by one, with or without armor(in armor its probably would even be easier for bear, something to sink teeth in, without all that skin and meat flaying off the bone as he pulls).

Have you seen how thick that scrap is?

Archived