Devs, why knife sharpness do not affect harvesting times?

thinair

Hello,

basically as topic said. To harvest 0.7 kg venison from deer takes 15 minutes with both knives... one is 98%, another one is 69%. Shouldn't sharper knife harvest faster? Roughly 30% sharper knife, cuts the same... :(

Also do not want to spam with another thread, but when pressing tab button (PC), it also should state wind coldness and relative coldness in that gameplay menu (at a moment just states to FEELS LIKE only), because now have to go into inventory to get that info.

Thanks in advance

A good point. :)

A sharper knife should harvest quicker, same with the axe or saw.

Also maybe they do already? I guess it's a question /suggestion or clarification from the HT team? plus I think the sharpening stone degrades to quick.

Before the recent updates (April and later) I've worked my way through several knives until they broke. There was no difference in speed between a 80% knife and 10% one. The same 8 minutes per 1 kg fresh meat, 20 minutes per 1 kg frozen meat, 30 minutes per hide, 10 minutes per gut.

I haven't checked this more recently, though. I'm down to three knives and I keep them sharp :)

+1 for the idea that condition of the tool should affect the efficiency with which the job is done.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the sharpness of the knife should not only affect the speed but also the quantity of meat and quality of hide.   With a dull knife you may not be able to get as much meat and may tear holes in the hide rather than precisely skin the animal. 

Archived