Movement Speed

I have definitely noticed (playing on Xbox) a difference in movement speed between interiors and exteriors. I'm the type that usually goes with a heavy load for transporting goods from one area to another. I'll have a load of around 100 lbs, moving at a regular clip while outside, then immediately upon entering an interior, moving at a snail's pace at best. I've done a 'small' amount of testing and it seems like this happens every time upon entering an interior with a heavy load, sometimes even in exteriors, randomly going from regular walking speed to extreeeeeeemely slow. Wind and fatigue acounted for. Moving in the same direction as the wind at absolute maximum condition, this still happens to me. It's only a true issue in cave areas, when I cannot see without light and am moving slow enough to worry about fuel supply running low. I'm not sure if this is by design, or if this topic belongs in the bug forums. Any feedback appreciated. :)

Hmm cant say Ive extensively tested this out although I usually avoid super loads around 100lbs unless Im travelling excessively short distances... Though as you said I do know for a fact fatigue and wind direction affect travel speed... Although Im unsure about cave interiors... Might I inquire as to which caves youve tested this

My playstyle is to live in an area for a short while, and looting everything (excessive hoarder :)), then bring all of the loot from that area back to my "base" area. I've experienced the movement speed issue traveling between Coastal Highway to both PV and DP maps. However it doesn't seem to be limited to just cave areas. Seemingly any interior I enter while at 100+ lbs, even when at max fatigue condition, my movement speed is affected greatly, by at least half. Maybe this is by design? As my character would be less concerned with covering ground while in a safe place?

Sounds like a very plausible idea.. It would make more sense that way at least.... Before reaching the first 100 day mark im usually travelling in between ML CH and PV spending around a month in each region respectively gathering gear, resources etc...... Then around 90 or so days I make my way to the summit and live off the fat of the land near the mountaineers hut for next several months... Then I finally trek to DP cause the forge... Whenever travelling I enjoy the little extra speed you get from not being overencumbered...... I also tend to leave certain base areas stocked with resources thinking about much later game... Like trappers homestead

Your movement speed is also affected by the terrain, so it makes a difference whether you're walking uphill or downhill. I think someone once reported a bug about the character keeping the increased "downhill" movement speed even after the slope has actually ended and he/she is moving on a flat plain again. The downhill speed bonus would only disappear if you stop walking for a while. Maybe that's linked to your observation - as the walking process is automatically disrupted if you enter a house (due to the loading screen), your character would be reset to his/her normal movement speed again.

Anyway, what I can say for sure is that it's totally normal (and intended) that your character moves very slowly if you're carrying 45kg (100lbs). Not sure what exactly (besides walking downhills or tailwind) might increase his/her speed outdoors, though. :winky:

OP is correct in noticing the difference between indoor and outdoor speeds.  And caves are where this is most apparent.  How much you are carrying is not causing it, just causing it to be more noticeable.

The reasoning for slower speeds indoors I'm sure is to make those spaces feel larger.  And faster outdoors for ease of gameplay.

If anyone wants to experience this for themselves (at any encumbrance), find a shallow cave.  Walk toward the back and at a set point your speed will become noticeably slower.  Congratulations, you are now INDOORS.  Turn around and walk out, witness the reverse.  You are OUTDOORS again.  Hooray.

Thanks for the replies. Scyzara I think you are absolutely right about the downhill speed staying the same until you stop walking. That's probably exactly what I've been experiencing, just failing to realize that the hills were increasing my speed. As I've noticed, my speed will also slow down whenever I stop to harvest a cattail, mushroom, etc.

Archived