Something has been anoying me... Sprains

As much as I love this game and what is has evolved into, and the excitement for what is to come, I still have a sore spot that is getting on my nerves. 

Am I the only one here that thinks that the ankle/wrist sprains are just a little too frequent?  I have suffered from wrist sprains by themselves while walking on flat, level ground and can't seem to fathom why this keeps happening.  Also, I have fallen, yes fallen over the side of the dam more times than I care to admit, and the worst injury I suffered from these falls has been a couple lacerations and torn clothing, with some minor bruising.  Yet, if I walk up/down a hill my ankle/wrist goes snap, even though I rarely have an overloaded inventory and I'm never running up/down these hills, but it seems to happen way too often for my liking. 

Am I the only one?

Also, once the sprain happens, if you take a pill/drink the rosehip tea, you are instantly fine.  I can agree with the rest being a good cure, but the instant cure of pill/tea is a little too convenient and not really something that I can believe.  I really think this needs to be looked at a little closer and things need to be adjusted.  I have suggested the addition of walking sticks and snow shoes, both of which I am very familiar with in real life hiking, and can say with full confidence that they are two of the most useful things that anyone who spends time in the wilderness is never without.  Snow shoes can be crafted easy enough, and a simple walking stick doesn't even need to be carved or chopped or anything.  Just find a sturdy branch and use it.  Both of these items could lower the chances of sprains, but I still think they happen way too often.  In the years that I've gone hiking in various weather conditions, seasons, environments, etc.  I have not once sprained my ankle or my wrist, yet I seem to do it daily, if not multiple times in a day, just by walking up a hill.  Really??

There are many things that need adjusting in the game and this is just one of them. The Devs are trying from what I can see but in fixing one thing seems to affect other mechanic of the game as well. Some for the good and some not so good. I seem to have more problems with food poisoning happening more than sprains. That is my fault eating items that have degraded to much so that's on me. However, the instance cure should be adjusted imo. Maybe take the pill/drink and have time for it to take affect (say 1-2 hours) then add the rest on top of that (say 4 hours) IDK...just throwing it out there.  

2 hours ago, Arcani said:

There are many things that need adjusting in the game and this is just one of them. The Devs are trying from what I can see but in fixing one thing seems to affect other mechanic of the game as well. Some for the good and some not so good. I seem to have more problems with food poisoning happening more than sprains. That is my fault eating items that have degraded to much so that's on me. However, the instance cure should be adjusted imo. Maybe take the pill/drink and have time for it to take affect (say 1-2 hours) then add the rest on top of that (say 4 hours) IDK...just throwing it out there.  

You are absolutely right, and I'm not trying to put down the devs for these kinds of things, just wondering if others are seeing this and having the same thoughts as me.  The whole first aid system needs some tweaks, as I still find it unbelievable that after a wolf attack, I can bandage my wound and move on with my life never to think about it again, when in fact you should be changing dressing, applying more antiseptic or lichen or whatever, and keep the wound clean and dry.  These things take time to heal and don't just go away after you put a bandage on it.  As for the sprains, I would like to see some more attention to what causes a sprain, and treating it should include making some kind of ice pack (I wonder where we can get some ice) and let it rest along with any meds you take to lower swelling and let it heal, not just for a couple hours, a couple days minimum.  Also, having dependency on pills after taking them too often, or even having adverse effects of taking too many pills in a short amount of time, since taking too many pain pills can make you very dizzy and lower reaction times, as well as make you sick.  I know not all these things could be imitated in a game, and I'm just spit balling ideas here, but having a more realistic reaction to first aid would add more to the experience, in my opinion.  I also have issues with the food poisoning and agree that maybe that could be tweaked as well, especially foods in cans, since those can last a heck of a lot longer than other items, and unless the can is swollen or leaking, the food should not go bad.  Fresh foods, like the meat from deer/wolf/rabbit/bear/fish, will most definitely go bad without refrigeration, but again, couldn't we use some ice (where oh where is that ice) and preserve it better?

Y

22 hours ago, the_watdabney said:

You are absolutely right, and I'm not trying to put down the devs for these kinds of things, just wondering if others are seeing this and having the same thoughts as me.  The whole first aid system needs some tweaks, as I still find it unbelievable that after a wolf attack, I can bandage my wound and move on with my life never to think about it again, when in fact you should be changing dressing, applying more antiseptic or lichen or whatever, and keep the wound clean and dry.  These things take time to heal and don't just go away after you put a bandage on it.  As for the sprains, I would like to see some more attention to what causes a sprain, and treating it should include making some kind of ice pack (I wonder where we can get some ice) and let it rest along with any meds you take to lower swelling and let it heal, not just for a couple hours, a couple days minimum.  Also, having dependency on pills after taking them too often, or even having adverse effects of taking too many pills in a short amount of time, since taking too many pain pills can make you very dizzy and lower reaction times, as well as make you sick.  I know not all these things could be imitated in a game, and I'm just spit balling ideas here, but having a more realistic reaction to first aid would add more to the experience, in my opinion.  I also have issues with the food poisoning and agree that maybe that could be tweaked as well, especially foods in cans, since those can last a heck of a lot longer than other items, and unless the can is swollen or leaking, the food should not go bad.  Fresh foods, like the meat from deer/wolf/rabbit/bear/fish, will most definitely go bad without refrigeration, but again, couldn't we use some ice (where oh where is that ice) and preserve it better?

Yep, understand what your saying. I know it's not perfect and we can only play what has been implemented in the game so far. The Devs are going a great job trying to balance the game but as you mentioned there are some things that needs more attention. In reference to the medication aspect the percentages on the pills etc are different now when before they were always at 100% and never degraded. I agree that Meds are never 100% over time and they should degrade at a slower rate. What bothers me is the fact that when you find them, say 1 bottle is at 63%, then you find another bottle it's at 24%, when they are put into storage they all show 24%! This has happened several times since the last update. For some reason they all default to the lowest percentage you already have. That, I'm sure, is an unintentional outcome. Recovery time to injuries etc does need to be looked at again. The changes to the meat degrading has really picked up since the last update if you hold on to it or have it stored indoors. However, if you put all your meat in an outside car trunk or even place it outdoors on the porch/snow etc the decay rate really slows down (maybe 1% per day) due to it freezing. Foods in cans should last a lot longer since it is a sealed container. I think I read someplace in the forums that when you start a new game everything in the world/maps start to degrade all at once. This can really make long time survival very hard to do if true. You make some good points here on this topic! IDK, I guess we just need to keep on treking to a new location and I can't wait for the story mode to hit and more Sandbox Locations to be added. Stay frosty out there!    

My impression (based solely on personal observation, not actual info ;) ) is that the "super high sprain rate doing non-risky stuff" is a per-game issue. Either your game has this issue  it or it doesn't.   By super high, I mean 1 or 2 sprains every day you are outside, just walking on nearly level ground.  Not overburdened, nor exhausted, nor running, nor scaling hillsides, nor falling, nor fighting animals.  Just walking.  Often the first sprain happens when you step outside your door in the morning.

I reroll now when I see this issue.  And usually the new game doesn't have the issue.

On 5/19/2016 at 8:33 PM, Ruruwawa said:

My impression (based solely on personal observation, not actual info ;) ) is that the "super high sprain rate doing non-risky stuff" is a per-game issue. Either your game has this issue  it or it doesn't.   By super high, I mean 1 or 2 sprains every day you are outside, just walking on nearly level ground.  Not overburdened, nor exhausted, nor running, nor scaling hillsides, nor falling, nor fighting animals.  Just walking.  Often the first sprain happens when you step outside your door in the morning.

I reroll now when I see this issue.  And usually the new game doesn't have the issue.

That might describe my game.  I feel like I sprain a lot of ankles.  I recently sprained an ankle walking down the ramp of a hunter's blind...  Maybe my game is "one of those," but I can't stomach abandoning a game I'm 75+ days into.

Archived