"Tireless Menace" Sandbox General Feedback

First of all, thanks to the entire Hinterland Team for their ongoing work. Much appreciation! :)

General Feedback:
I love the updated textures and scenery. I feel much more immersed in the atmosphere!
Very happy about addition of parasites, cabin fever, rest system overhaul, updated decay rates (and matches not), and animal location refresh.
Outdoors, exploring, it feels almost like I'm playing for the first time again! I'm just as cautious now as I was when I first started in December. It's great!! :)

The only bug I noticed is that when I start a fire with a brand and then take a new brand, often the new brand has no fire animation until I go indoors if I happen to be near a building (I can hear the fire crackling and see percent remaining in the inventory screen). When I once again make another fire to make another brand the next has the animation. Just a minor glitch.

I have not yet come down with Cabin Fever yet but I do have a suggestion regarding it: if you are outdoors more then 7 or so hours a day, there will be less likelihood of being afflicted with it.
That way we can be outdoors when it's most likely to be warmest but also have some time indoors to do "housecleaning" (arranging stores, making tinder plugs) and do clothing repairs.
What do you think?

Sleep feedback:
When we used to stay awake until exhaustion it'd take 10 hours to become fully rested. It seems like it's less now.
IRL 6~7 hours is enough sleep (for my semi-active lifestyle) and days where I hike 8~9 hours and awake for 18 I generally require 8~9 hours to recover. In short, the new mechanic seems realistic.

Also, I highly suggest that players are granted ability to sleep anywhere if they are exhausted to the point that health condition is less than 100%, even if they don't have a bedroll. Sleeping in a warm bed or in a bedroll obviously grants the benefits they already do.
Sleeping on the ground in your clothes would obviously wear on your clothes and also health condition would be restored much more slowly when sleeping (for example) in a cold, rocky cave. Not to mention the chance of freezing to death or waking up with wolf jaws in your face.
And you could sleep on a cold cabin floor if you want to but again, the rate health condition restored could be one 10th of what it would be in a bed.
Sleeping on the floor could could only be accessed from the Health Condition screen when your health condition is less than 100%.
What do you think?

Overall great update and I am VERY HAPPY with it. Thanks again!

Sleeping anywhere would be nice but I don't think it's too practical in a winter setting. Without a bedroll, sleeping on the ground would likely be colder than the ambient temperature. You'll be losing a lot of heat trying to warm the ground. If there was a way to make an emergency shelter such as a snow cave or even just collect boughs for a bed this may work but just sleeping anywhere outdoors would likely result in you "fading into the long dark".

Conversely with interior locations (especially ones with tables or couches) you should definitely be able to sleep without a bedroll. Just don't expect to wake up well rested ^_^

27 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Sleeping anywhere would be nice but I don't think it's too practical in a winter setting. Without a bedroll, sleeping on the ground would likely be colder than the ambient temperature. You'll be losing a lot of heat trying to warm the ground. If there was a way to make an emergency shelter such as a snow cave or even just collect boughs for a bed this may work but just sleeping anywhere outdoors would likely result in you "fading into the long dark".

Conversely with interior locations (especially ones with tables or couches) you should definitely be able to sleep without a bedroll. Just don't expect to wake up well rested ^_^

Agree with you.
But the option to sleep anywhere should be an option, with the caveat that sleeping in the wrong place resulting in you becoming another frozen corpse on the ground ;)

8 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Agree with you.
But the option to sleep anywhere should be an option, which the caveat that sleeping in the wrong place resulting in you becoming another frozen corpse on the ground ;)

Well, that'd definitely be one way to ensure players learn fast that shelter + fire = good :big_smile:

Archived