The Incredible Human Machine

vancopower

I just watched a show on the discovery channel "The Incredible Human Machine" and it inspired me to make this topic. Why not make more complex body functions system in TLD, and no I am not talking about introducing new diet system like proteins, carbs fats but something more refined and real.

First I would like to see exercising, and training. Aerobic and anaerobic exercises should improve your stamina and strength and you do not have to go to the gym to do them but all this rope climbing, wood chopping, sprinting are enough actions to put some muscles on you since you do them every day.

Second the medical system should introduce even more afflictions like: muscle soreness, malnutrition, faster hearth rate, insomnia, prolonged pain in some body parts only healed with time. This is very important because it can add flavor of realism in the game for example yesterday I climbed chopped wood, but today I should take it easy because I my stamina drops fast until I heal. Or I haven't eaten in days now I have malnutrition and my strength dropped by half  I have to eat a large meal if I want to start regaining my strength back.

Third why have only bad conditions there should be positive ones too. For example today I feel energetic because I had some nice meal and coffee I can run 10% faster and have 25% more stamina. Or 2-3 days ago I worked out much by climbing and chopping trees today I feel stronger I can kill a wolf with ease, also I can chop wood 50% faster. Motivated: yesterday I read a book it was a story  about surviving in the north pole so today I am inspired I do everything 50% faster including sprinting too but my fatigue drops faster ... and so on. 

I believe that having these things in the game will make it more fun to play because you will be more engaged with your survivor rather than making routine chores: pick up wood, hunt food make water and repeat. The game already follows this direction by having complex medical system so it can be easily integrated. What do you think let me know everybody ?

12 hours ago, cekivi said:

Two quick questions before commenting:

1. Is this how you envision the "well being" mechanic operating?
  2. Is your general argument that RPG elements should be added to the game?

no need for RPG elements just some basic stuff like Strength, maybe resistance to cold, body weight. these would be enough i think, no need to introduce whole attribute tree, although it works fine in  other games and people will recognize the build and get in to it without any trouble. 

My starting point for introducing this system is having buffs as well as debuffs. Make every day you wake up different depending on what you did  yesterday. For example if you worked out a lot chopping wood and climbing, when you wake up the next day you would have muscle soreness. However if you treat the condition meaning not overexert yourself the next day you got increase in strength, and can do lot more woodcutting and climbing before you get muscle soreness again  makes sense yes?

Another example could be not eating properly: first day of starving, you get headache debuff making your actions last 10 min longer. the next day if you do not eat properly you get strong headache 20 min debuff, and on the third day you get malnutrition debuff which makes your actions last 40 min longer and every day you do not treat it you loose strength.The only way to cure malnutrition is to eat 2 different food types for example meat and soup.  Also  with each day you don't eat you loose body weight which influences how fast you can move, which is actually a good thing and helps you move around in order to find more food to "cure" your hunger. 

A different kind of example would be mental motivation: you read something that gets you motivated to be faster in doing actions but after a few days it goes away and so on.

Personally, I'd rather have most of the elements you described (e.g. eating well) be handled as part of a well being mechanic as opposed to having new status bars to manage. While minor injuries would add depth I don't know if I'd get more out of the game by having to deal with them. I'd rather play an imperfect simulation that's a fun game as opposed to trying to model everything for maximum realism and needing to micromanage every aspect of my character.

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2016 at 3:19 AM, vancopower said:

I just watched a show on the discovery channel "The Incredible Human Machine" and it inspired me to make this topic. Why not make more complex body functions system in TLD, and no I am not talking about introducing new diet system like proteins, carbs fats but something more refined and real.

First I would like to see exercising, and training. Aerobic and anaerobic exercises should improve your stamina and strength and you do not have to go to the gym to do them but all this rope climbing, wood chopping, sprinting are enough actions to put some muscles on you since you do them every day.

Second the medical system should introduce even more afflictions like: muscle soreness, malnutrition, faster hearth rate, insomnia, prolonged pain in some body parts only healed with time. This is very important because it can add flavor of realism in the game for example yesterday I climbed chopped wood, but today I should take it easy because I my stamina drops fast until I heal. Or I haven't eaten in days now I have malnutrition and my strength dropped by half  I have to eat a large meal if I want to start regaining my strength back.

Third why have only bad conditions there should be positive ones too. For example today I feel energetic because I had some nice meal and coffee I can run 10% faster and have 25% more stamina. Or 2-3 days ago I worked out much by climbing and chopping trees today I feel stronger I can kill a wolf with ease, also I can chop wood 50% faster. Motivated: yesterday I read a book it was a story  about surviving in the north pole so today I am inspired I do everything 50% faster including sprinting too but my fatigue drops faster ... and so on. 

I believe that having these things in the game will make it more fun to play because you will be more engaged with your survivor rather than making routine chores: pick up wood, hunt food make water and repeat. The game already follows this direction by having complex medical system so it can be easily integrated. What do you think let me know everybody ?

I`d like malnutrition if will temporary affect moving speed and maybe something else because it is just realistic and will prevent players to abuse not feeding the character (because it saves food and health is easily restored by sleep). Insomnia may be interesting addition to cabin fewer. 

But definitely not muscle soreness and prolonged pain. 

50% faster chopping, +25% stamina would be too much as for me.

On 4/19/2016 at 5:01 PM, vancopower said:

no need for RPG elements just some basic stuff like Strength, maybe resistance to cold, body weight. these would be enough i think, no need to introduce whole attribute tree, although it works fine in  other games and people will recognize the build and get in to it without any trouble. 

My starting point for introducing this system is having buffs as well as debuffs. Make every day you wake up different depending on what you did  yesterday. For example if you worked out a lot chopping wood and climbing, when you wake up the next day you would have muscle soreness. However if you treat the condition meaning not overexert yourself the next day you got increase in strength, and can do lot more woodcutting and climbing before you get muscle soreness again  makes sense yes?

Another example could be not eating properly: first day of starving, you get headache debuff making your actions last 10 min longer. the next day if you do not eat properly you get strong headache 20 min debuff, and on the third day you get malnutrition debuff which makes your actions last 40 min longer and every day you do not treat it you loose strength.The only way to cure malnutrition is to eat 2 different food types for example meat and soup.  Also  with each day you don't eat you loose body weight which influences how fast you can move, which is actually a good thing and helps you move around in order to find more food to "cure" your hunger. 

A different kind of example would be mental motivation: you read something that gets you motivated to be faster in doing actions but after a few days it goes away and so on.

They already are. Male character has more strength - he can carry more. Resistance to cold is modified by clothes/fire/hot drinks. 

On 4/19/2016 at 1:06 AM, cekivi said:

Personally, I'd rather have most of the elements you described (e.g. eating well) be handled as part of a well being mechanic as opposed to having new status bars to manage. While minor injuries would add depth I don't know if I'd get more out of the game by having to deal with them. I'd rather play an imperfect simulation that's a fun game as opposed to trying to model everything for maximum realism and needing to micromanage every aspect of my character.

I think the same.

On 4/19/2016 at 3:06 PM, cekivi said:

I completely agree. +1

Archived