More crafting and hunting options

dbldrew

Once I get my bow, arrows and upgraded my clothes the game gets kind of boring and easy. so I usually start over. But if there was more crafting and hunting options I think it would make the game a lot more interesting.

Hunting

Less Wolves! this makes for an endless supply of easy food that comes to you when you have a bow. decrease respawn once they have been hunted, decrease all animals once they have been hunted

Small Game  squirrels, ground hogs, raccoons.

Birds grouse, turkeys, pheasants.

Crafting

Sling made from gut and cured leather. can be used for hunting small game and birds have to find small rocks for ammo

Racoon cap replacement for when your hat wears out

Stone tools stone hatchet, knife and arrow heads. make it so they dont last as long and have less "quality" tools on a map.

Curing rack for faster curing of gut and pelts

Smoker can preserve meats and fish. it reduces calories and weight, but increases the spoil time.

Sled can be pulled behind you and you can load it up with firewood, animal carcasses etc

Bow Drill for fire starting decrease the number of easier fire starting methods on map

4 minutes ago, dbldrew said:

Once I get my bow, arrows and upgraded my clothes the game gets kind of boring and easy. so I usually start over. But if there was more crafting and hunting options I think it would make the game a lot more interesting.

Hunting

Less Wolves! this makes for an endless supply of easy food that comes to you when you have a bow. decrease respawn once they have been hunted, decrease all animals once they have been hunted

Small Game  squirrels, ground hogs, raccoons.

Birds grouse, turkeys, pheasants.

Crafting

Sling made from gut and cured leather. can be used for hunting small game and birds have to find small rocks for ammo

Racoon cap replacement for when your hat wears out

Stone tools stone hatchet, knife and arrow heads. make it so they dont last as long and have less "quality" tools on a map.

Curing rack for faster curing of gut and pelts

Smoker can preserve meats and fish. it reduces calories and weight, but increases the spoil time.

Sled can be pulled behind you and you can load it up with firewood, animal carcasses etc

Bow Drill for fire starting decrease the number of easier fire starting methods on map

I agree that everything you've said should be added but I don't agree with the decrease in wolf spawning, since you need their furs for repairing wolf skin coats.

Just now, Diamondz said:

I agree that everything you've said should be added but I don't agree with the decrease in wolf spawning, since you need their furs for repairing wolf skin coats.

the point of a reduced in respawn is you have to go hunting for them. in stalker there are so many You only have to leave your homestead and your food comes to you.

Or maybe once you have the wolf coat that they will run from you. so you have to sneak up on them and hunt them like you do the deer?

The problem with them now is there is no point in hunting anything else or exploring the map

I wouldn't mind if the wolves didn't respawn so fast. Every two or three days would be fine . . .

Can you tell I'm struggling through a Voyager game? So far this current play through has lasted over 22 days, but I haven't found a rifle, and I lost my only arrow, so I have a bow that is pretty much useless, and a bunch of birch arrowshafts waiting for their heads. I keep flirting with hunger, sprains, and blood loss. 

I have not yet made it into the Dam, where I know there is a rifle. And lots of supplies, including clothes and reclaimed wood. I'm at Trappers right now, with occasional forays to the Camp Office.

On the plus side, I now have a wolfskin coat and deerskin boots. I just completed a pair of rabbitskin mitts. 

I'm thinking of heading to the north side of Mystery Lake, to that hunter's blind near Alex's Cave (?), to see if there is another arrow there. I really need to get more deer.

Just now, dbldrew said:

the point of a reduced in respawn is you have to go hunting for them. in stalker there are so many You only have to leave your homestead and your food comes to you.

Or maybe once you have the wolf coat that they will run from you. so you have to sneak up on them and hunt them like you do the deer?

The problem with them now is there is no point in hunting anything else or exploring the map

Ohhh, ok. I usually play on voyageur so that is a good point.

Even on Voyager there's too many wolves.  I, too, would like the wolves to run when wearing the wolf coat because too many encounters.  I have 20 spare wolf hides, I don't need anymore.  End up with so much wolf meat, I don't hunt deer.  It goes on and on.

Bow drill firemaking is one of the features on the upcoming Roadmap.

Lots of people ask for the sled, but I don't think they should add it to the base game.  Deciding what to take with you is part of the challenge that I like in the game.  Maybe when modding comes available, someone will made a sled, but I will probably opt out.

I would like more variety of creatures to hunt as well.  Maybe ducks and geese.

16 minutes ago, dbldrew said:

I'm not very clear on the thinking behind this. Why would wearing a wolfskin coat spook wolves from you? I'm noticing this behavior on Voyager now that I have that puppy coat, and it's baffling. Wolves are pack animals and tend to group together, so if a wolf spots something that resembles another wolf, wouldn't it come closer first to see if this is a fellow pack member? I have to keep reminding myself that the wolves in game are not "normal" - in other words they've been messed up by the EM event as much in their own way as we humans have been. But then why don't they spook from each other? Could it be that they are reacting to the combined wolf/human smell? Of course, they come back and attack me if I'm too close, or if I follow them. The spooking only happens if I come upon them suddenly from over a hill or behind a tree. I'll have to pay closer attention to wind conditions and try to figure out if they smell me first or if they see me first, and if they initially spook either way. 

Wolves (and other animals) don't think in terms of "wolfskin coat = badass dude." In fact, they only consider you a badass dude if you beat them in a struggle.

On the other hand, it would make perfect sense if I made a bearskin coat, and wolves ran away from me. Deer too! Then the only thing I'd have to worry about is Mr. Bear himself. And he'll likely attack me, as bears don't share territory so nicely . . .

I think the reasoning is that the wolves smell something wrong about the wolf coat, and run away.  However, I've never figured out of there's a way I can trip this behavior consistently.  It just seems random.  Sometimes I "scare" them, and they run away.  Sometimes they come right for me.  Does the condition of the coat matter?  Unknown.

3 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

I'm not very clear on the thinking behind this. Why would wearing a wolfskin coat spook wolves from you? I'm noticing this behavior on Voyager now that I have that puppy coat, and it's baffling. Wolves are pack animals and tend to group together, so if a wolf spots something that resembles another wolf, wouldn't it come closer first to see if this is a fellow pack member? I have to keep reminding myself that the wolves in game are not "normal" - in other words they've been messed up by the EM event as much in their own way as we humans have been. But then why don't they spook from each other? Could it be that they are reacting to the combined wolf/human smell? Of course, they come back and attack me if I'm too close, or if I follow them. The spooking only happens if I come upon them suddenly from over a hill or behind a tree. I'll have to pay closer attention to wind conditions and try to figure out if they smell me first or if they see me first, and if they initially spook either way. 

Wolves (and other animals) don't think in terms of "wolfskin coat = badass dude." In fact, they only consider you a badass dude if you beat them in a struggle.

On the other hand, it would make perfect sense if I made a bearskin coat, and wolves ran away from me. Deer too! Then the only thing I'd have to worry about is Mr. Bear himself. And he'll likely attack me, as bears don't share territory so nicely . . .

Yeah I'm not sure why they made it that they sometimes run. Was just making another option to get rid of the easy food..

1 hour ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I think the reasoning is that the wolves smell something wrong about the wolf coat, and run away.  However, I've never figured out of there's a way I can trip this behavior consistently.  It just seems random.  Sometimes I "scare" them, and they run away.  Sometimes they come right for me.  Does the condition of the coat matter?  Unknown.

Another element to consider! If I figure anything out, I'll report!

Archived