Improvised barrel stove...

Rusty_Old_F250

Pretty self explanatory, 55 gallon drum, a hacksaw and some basic tools, some bits of this or that, and you've got a wood stove.

I have to admit though, it would need to provide some extra benefit to be worth including it in the game. Maybe if the fire mechanic is revisited and damper is included. A stove has an advantage over a fireplace, campfire or an open barrel because of the damper.

And it would be nice to put a stove in a place without it, especially the little cabins, they are one of my favorite interiors in the game, but no inside fire is a bit of an issue.

Sam

15 hours ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Pretty self explanatory, 55 gallon drum, a hacksaw and some basic tools, some bits of this or that, and you've got a wood stove.

I have to admit though, it would need to provide some extra benefit to be worth including it in the game. Maybe if the fire mechanic is revisited and damper is included. A stove has an advantage over a fireplace, campfire or an open barrel because of the damper.

And it would be nice to put a stove in a place without it, especially the little cabins, they are one of my favorite interiors in the game, but no inside fire is a bit of an issue.

Sam

Interesting idea. And you're right that it would need to be different somehow from the ordinary campfire or burn barrels that are already in the game. But were you thinking of indoors only? Something like this? http://www.backwoodshome.com/build-a-deluxe-barrel-stove/

The main problem would be how to get the barrel to where you want to make the stove. Even empty those things are heavy! :/

Personally, I'd rather collect bits to fix a broken stove (e.g. stones, pipe, bits of scrap metal) than to try and haul a barrel around the map. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to portable stoves/heaters being added to the map. Or even candles. In the smaller huts just a small candle would be enough to give you an extra degree or two of warmth (assuming they're insulated). Don't forget that Inuit people heated an entire igloo with just body warmth and a Qulliq (see:

)

Personally I'd rather stick to the simple approach and use some animal fat/kerosene/engine oil, a wick to make something portable from scrap in a few minutes as opposed to building something for a permanent shelter. Than again I am a self identified nomad so take that as you will :)

8 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Interesting idea. And you're right that it would need to be different somehow from the ordinary campfire or burn barrels that are already in the game. But were you thinking of indoors only? Something like this? http://www.backwoodshome.com/build-a-deluxe-barrel-stove/

Yup that the idea, just not as pretty as that one, haha. By pure chance, google images pulled up a picture of one that looks exactly like what I have in mind, it's about halfway down this page: https://lesvoyages.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/nepal-trek-day-2-tikhedunga-to-ghorepani/

I was thinking indoors, but setting it up outside would be neat too, it would deal with the wind a lot better than a campfire.

cekivi, I like the idea of fixing a stove, but like you said, playing style does weigh in here quite a bit. I play like a homesteader, so I approach things from that perspective. And I'm a stubborn son of a gun, that barrel may be heavy, but it rolls, and come what may it's going to make it to my cabin if it's the last thing I do! :durbear: :D

Sam

Archived