Hatchet over knife

swissheart

I don't believe this is a bug but please fix it, anyway. 

I crafted a Bear Skin Bedroll and it wasn't until after I was done that I realized that the game automatically chose the worst tool for the job. I had an improvised knife and an improvised hatched in my inventory and I didn't see that the knife works 10 hours faster until I didn't have the hatchet anymore. In fact, everything is crafted faster with the improvised knife but I cannot use it until I remove the improvised hatchet from my inventory first. 

I really wish we could choose the tool in the crafting menu instead of always dropping items on the ground and see what else works and in what time. 

You should always have the option to change the tool in the crafting menu. Did you not have the arrows (look like these < >) on either side of the "hatchet" in the menu? That gives you the option to click through to the best tool possible. Easy thing to miss, I know! It took me two weeks of playing the game until I realized this!

TLD is deceptively simple, but there's a lot of stuff going on . . . 

Look for the tool switch arrows the next time you try and complete a task with tool options (e.g. harvesting a carcass you can switch between knife, hatchet and hands). If you don't see them than you are experiencing a bug.

This is broken, yes.  Good catch.  I so seldom travel with more than one tool at a time now that I never noticed.  Selection arrows on the crafting page would be a great solution.

BTW, arrows should still be craftable at the workbench and are the last item available on the list.  Arrowheads are not craftable on workbenches; you must find the Forge for that.

Archived