Semi-manual Cartography

Daedalus

I think he means that the character could also use a pencil to draw on a piece of paper to create a map (supposing that they couldn't find a pre-made map), just as we can as players as we play. I'd agree that's a fairly authentic representation.

Do you consider that option to be more realistic that proper map and compass in pretty much every house in area(s) that are miles away from nearest sizable settlement(in the middle of nowhere) and seem to be fairly popular among hunters and tourists ?

Besides, the fact that we can draw a map ourselves which is fairly accurate means that the game character certainly can as well. Because she obviously is fairly trained in survival techniques, and has a lot more sensory information than we do from behind a screen. Furthermore, it's not like the game is really that realistic. I mean, for a survival *game* it is, but not for real.

"We" can draw accurate maps because game screenshots give coordinates of location where it was taken, allowing for accurate measurements. Something that protagonist probably dont have an access to.

While it's plausible there could be a map in some of these cabins-- its also perfectly plausible that there is not one. I've been to plenty of camps and cabins where there is not a map or compass... the people that live there don't need them---they live there and know the area :) But it's a tourist area? yeah, so the previous scavenger took the map, or the last visitors didn't leave it behind-- who knows?

All I'm saying is there's no guarantee there would or would not be a map.

I've made quite a few crappy maps in this game-- not once did I use the screenshot coordinates. I'm not saying my maps were perfectly accurate but they helped me do what they were designed to--- i.e. get from Point A to Point B. I'm confident the character would be perfectly capable of doing the same thing.

• 1 month later...

I used to make maps by hand tramping through the woods. It helped to have a fence line for orientation and I knew the place well (quarter section)

Map reading and compass navigation are important survival skills. I don't care where the maps come from. I get it that you can get lost in the woods; you can also navigate using a compass, if you have one.

I think a "You Are Here" map at the Forestry Lookouts would be a nice game edition, but even that I'm ok without.  I'm not in favor of any automapping facilities - even a "manual" one.

I have got lost and died many times early on.  I learned from those experiences and got better.  I rarely ever get lost now, and even if so, it's temporary.  Pilgrim is a great mode for learning the maps and how to navigate adequately using pure environmentals with relative safety.  The existing fan made maps are excellent (I particularly like the elevation maps), and far better than anything I could produce.

Archived