#108 & #109 | Put down two lanterns, one disappeared (v.097)

TarjaS

The video shows everything from the moment I put down the lanterns at the Camp Office to the search of the other one and the realization that the one left had no fuel.

I went out twice after putting the lanterns down, first I shot the wolf and then to get more firewood. When returning upstairs, both lanterns were on the floor both times. At some point after returning the second time, one of the lanterns disappeared as did all fuel from the other one. I assume it was during the rest.

[bBvideo 560,340:3829m324]

[/bBvideo]

Guest Alan Lawrance

My theory is the disappearing lantern had low condition, and it deteriorated to 0% while you were doing time-lapsed activities. When an item reaches 0% condition, it is removed immediately from the world.

This brings up a good question though -- should a lantern deteriorate when it's unlit, just sitting there? I suspect not -- and the fact it has a decay property was an oversight (same issue was just fixed for the Hatchet and Hunting Knife). In the case of a lantern, it should only deteriorate when it's being used (i.e., when it's lit).

There is a larger question/discussion about what should happen to items that degrade to 0%. Currently are destroyed, but perhaps they should stay at 0% (and not be usable). That would solve the problem of the fuel being destroyed, and also allow players to harvest the non-functional item.

Even if it's about deterioration, there's still something I don't understand. The starting situation with the lanterns is:

- 73% condition, 44% fuel

- 41% condition, 46% fuel

The time passing between setting the lanterns down is approximately from 8 days 15 h to 9 days 14 h.

The lantern left in the end has 29% condition, 0% fuel.

Shouldn't the one lantern left at least have fuel? Where does that go? Also, the rate of deterioration here seems more like it would be if the lanterns were lit all the time. I don't think they deteriorate this fast in the inventory.

The time passing between setting the lanterns down is approximately from 8 days 15 h to 9 days 14 h.

The lantern left in the end has 29% condition, 0% fuel.

Shouldn't the one lantern left at least have fuel? Where does that go? Also, the rate of deterioration here seems more like it would be if the lanterns were lit all the time. I don't think they deteriorate this fast in the inventory.

Im guessing (and Alan can say yay or nay) but my reckoning is that the Fuel is seen as 1 item, and not 2, 1 for lantern A and 1 for lantern B. Because its seen as a single item, it can't differentiate between to 2 lanterns, and then when fuel is taken from one, it has to be taken from the other . . ..

Then again, I could be way off.

@Alan, do you want a ticket for this, or is this fixed with the previous fix for Hatchet and Hunting Knife ??

Guest Alan Lawrance

There were actually two bugs here, and both have been around since the start of the Alpha. I apologize profusely for these:

1. When we restore the state of the Lantern, we account for any fuel that may have burned off between the save/load of that item. The problem was we always deducted fuel as if the lantern was lit. So if you left a lantern laying around, it would always burn fuel.

2. For gear that is lying around, we also simulate the decay based on time elapsed between the save/load. The problem was (and this is horrible) is that hours were treated as days. So you leave your item inside for 2 hours, when you come back it's like 2 days elapsed for the gear decay calculations.

We've got a major build update coming next week (by Sept 5), and fixes for these two items will be there.

Thanks again for reporting these items... what seems like a random glitch (lantern disappearing) actually uncovered some serious issues with the simulation.

Note: To work around the gear decay issue, store your gear in containers. The problem only exists for gear left on the ground in unloaded levels.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Sorry TattooedMac -- to answer your question about tickets, yes please open two, so we have a record for testing:

1. Fuel for unlit lanterns not calculated properly across save/load

2. Gear decay not calculated correctly across save/load.

The third issue about whether lanterns should decay when unlit is something I will check w/Raph on.

This also explains an earlier issue with Small Tools. I left them on the office floor and when I came back the next day, they were gone. I just assumed that they must have been in worse condition than I remembered. I normally use containers for storing stuff, because it makes it easier to find the items you're looking for.

Ticket #108 & #109 created.

Now I won't have to put in a Bug Report for what happened to me not long ago.

I went out, shot a Deer, and harvested fresh meat of 8.3KG. I went into Trappers Cabin, and I dropped my fresh meat, so I could go and Forage for wood for 3-4 hrs. I went back to grab the cooked venison ate it, but noticed all 8.3 KG of fresh venison was condition 0% as well as my Simple Tools :( Major upset that was.

log_0039.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Archived