v. 298 Crash to Desktop

Hylander

I've recently switched my desktop to Linux, and I've been playing the Linux version. I saw this in v.284, and now I'm seeing it in v.298. Basically, I'm walking around, and typically on a transition (in this case, I was entering a cave in the new region), and it just dies and exits to the desktop instantly. No error message, no warning.

I'm running Xubuntu 15.04, and my system specs are in the Player.log file here: http://pastebin.com/tpKcyVV8

If there's anything else I can include, please let me know...

Probably due to a mismatch between the Steam runtime's libraries and the distro provided ones. I had to do something to fix it in Arch, as well. People have had success with Debian derived distros with this:

https://wiki.debian.org/Steam#Troubleshooting

I fix it in Arch by launching Steam like this:

LD_PRELOAD='/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1' steam

But I don't think that'll work for you. You'll probably want to delete the libraries noted in that previous link from the Steam runtime. Once you resolve that, it seems to run without any crashing. There's a few other threads here with that issue, and all have managed to fix it. I really should make a web page with the info and link to it rather than keep re-entering it, but hey, there you go. xD

Good luck! Let us know if you manage to fix it.

So, this seems to have fixed my crash issue.

I basically followed the instructions in the debian wiki above, which really just involved deleting five files:

rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1

I haven't had a single crash since then.

Archived