Sleep option "hibernate"

Littlewolf11

The game is great, the development if the game is great. But I have one issue.

The best way to survive is to collect food from house to house and then sleeping and eating over and over again for sometimes 8 minutes. My solution to the problem is, when you click on a bed, I want a third option aside from "sleep" and "cancel" is "hibernate". When selecting this option it will have you skip to a point in the future were all your food and water in your inventory is almost exhausted. maybe have the wake up time be in the morning rather than a a random time. This way you can get right back to the actual survival fun in the game.

the only objective in the game for me is to see how long i can survive. so in order to do this you sleep, which is boring. whenever is show my friends this game they get bored of either me playing or them playing it because 75% of the game is sleeping over and over again. but some sort of way to completely skip sleeping is in need, this was my idea of a solution.

So its clear nobody likes this idea.so I'm just wondering then what is it you guys do when you have an inventory abundance of food? do you drop it? do you just keep collecting more and more? or do you sleep so you dont have to be wasteful of the food?

Make a few base camps (preferably in houses that have a fireplace, stove or drum). Put the food in obvious storage places (like refrigerators, but any place will do as long as you can easily remember them), and store your food for a snowy day.

Cooked meat will last for days, so you can go on hikes knowing that when you return, there will be food there.

That's how I do all my runs. When I scour a map, I make sure there's food in a couple of 'base camps' (as far as the rest of the houses go, I leave many cupboards unchecked, so that the food in there will last forever).

That way, you can stretch a run for hundreds of days. In the meantime, you can hoard supplies (put them in your base camps), find materials to craft better clothing, or a bow (which will come handy when the bullets run out), and so on and so forth.

The idea of the game is to try to make the player more nomadic but the mechanics as yet don't quite force this on the more advanced players.

Suggestions and changes to encourage this kind of movement between maps have been added (such as one map having the forge and anvil) but it still needs tweaking as the abundance of spawn for food and other items is clearly ideal for newer players but far too much for the experienced horder. :lol:

So the hope is suggestions to somehow increase the difficulty of the game, in game, would be ideal but without shutting out newer players who still want a realistic challenge.

Personally I find the core difficulty settings a broad brush which isn't ideal and I'd like something that dynamically changes difficulty as you progress.

The idea of the game is to try to make the player more nomadic but the mechanics as yet don't quite force this on the more advanced players.

Suggestions and changes to encourage this kind of movement between maps have been added (such as one map having the forge and anvil) but it still needs tweaking as the abundance of spawn for food and other items is clearly ideal for newer players but far too much for the experienced horder. :lol:

So the hope is suggestions to somehow increase the difficulty of the game, in game, would be ideal but without shutting out newer players who still want a realistic challenge.

Personally I find the core difficulty settings a broad brush which isn't ideal and I'd like something that dynamically changes difficulty as you progress.

As I see it, the thing that primarily allows a player to stay in one area indefinitely is the abundance of renewable resources in the way of game. Wolves, Deer and rabbits are frequently found in the same spots over and over again. There is little to no migration of these animals and when you need food it's just a matter of going to their areas and hunting.

There is no tracking game in the snow, there is no threat of over harvesting or game becoming scarce. There is no threat of wolves frequenting your hunting grounds. I see a number of ways that this could be directly countered.

Prey such as deer and rabbits should be somewhat more mobile. When they are hunted too much in one area they become scarce and move to another. This would have the effect of having the player seek out their new grounds and either make long treks to hunt them, or force them to relocate closer to their food source. A few deer, a dozen rabbits. That's about as much as I would expect to get out of an active area before game gets a bit more scarce.

Secondly, in popular game areas, especially those for trapping make things a bit riskier. You've been killing deer or rabbits, gutting them out in the snow and taking everything you can, but that still leaves a good portion of dead rabbit for some wolf to sniff out and claim. If you keep leaving little presents like this, wolves and bears are bound to frequent the area as well looking for a free meal to scavenge or possibly hunt.

If you were able to (and you should be able to!) take your rabbits home to clean them or tote home a deer, the traces you leave (a bloody trail, entrails and other tossed out rabbit gunk) is surely going to be an attraction for predators as well. A murder of crows already signifies a dead deer or a corpse of some other unfortunate soul. They'll come for your entrails too and should find other dead game. When they start hanging out, other animals will catch on too, the wolves won't be too far behind and sooner or later, you'll have predators hanging out relatively close to your home.

Making the wildlife a bit more dynamic forces the players to adapt and put themselves in riskier situations than they'd otherwise prefer to get in to. With both wood for fire and snow for water in relative abundance this seems to be the most logical way to prevent hibernating indefinitely and introduce more risks as players must move constantly, search areas to find game migrations and food sources, deal with moving any stockpiles of goods (or traveling without the kitchen sink), and confront the predators which share the same prey.

Properly implemented, it would make these ridiculous hibernation runs a thing of the past.

Archived