sweating, depth of the snow

opjles

Hi, I'm new here on the forum so please forgive me if the following issues have already been discussed.

I live in Finland in Northern Europe so we have sometimes really cold winters. About 15 years ago when I was in the army, we had a long camp in North Karelia near the Russian border. the coldest days the temperature was about - 35 degrees Celsius. The worst thing that I remember was drown snow cover and sweating after battles. It was bloody awful to run away from the enemy, when I sank up to my chest in the snow. And when the defense phase began, I was so sweaty and cold that my teeth beat against each other. Fortunately we were able to change to dry clothes (under the open sky). We put wet underwear to backpack and washed later in the camp in the icy water. Clothes dried up with string surprisingly fast. The camp lasted for over a month. The nights we slept in a tent heated by the stove. All in all, I stayed over in the woods for more than five months in the army.

In any case. My point is that if the game is to be realistic. You can not run without sweating and, as a result of sweat wetted the clothes. And if you have wet clothes you freeze to death. So you need to change into dry clothes. In particular, cotton clothes are very bad when wet. High-tech clothing move moisture of course, but also have to be washed too.

In addition, the game should take into account the depth of the snow. Without snowshoes or skis, walking, and running in deep snow is really heavy.

- Sweating -> wet underwear (especially if the cotton)

- Depth of the snow

- Snowshoes, skis

- clothes washing

- and clothing should last longer

- and snow cover?

maybe sweat if we jogged for long distance? but that was taken out. all you can do now is walk or sprint/ 2.82.

Also it's a game and changing your clothes every few runs might make it suck. not saying I don't get your idea it does sound good but how it would work who knows. A job for Hinterland. either way the idea is good as are most posted on Hinterland Forums.

And when you sprint many times? Idea is that you can run only in real situation... or if you have real high-tech clothing.

In fact, you can´t normaly sprint in the deep snow. Only when there is "hankikanto" (time of spring when snow crust is so hard that it can support a walking person).

I'm going to bring this up in a thread I'm about to post.

I think, first of all, sprinting and expending calories should warm you up at least somewhat. If you run all the way down to 0% stamina in the sprint bar you start sweating, and so lose some hydration and also your innermost clothes lose 100% of their heat protection, perhaps less for wool and materials that aren't quite as bad. To remove the "frozen" effect from them, they have to "cure" inside just like pelts for some amount of time, perhaps 6 hours.

Hi! I grew up in Northern(ish) Canada which is also known to be quite cold :D

I fully agree with this idea. My worst experiences in the bush in the winter were when I started sweating and froze afterwards. However, killjoy is right, you cannot have that level of micromanagement in the game. Because this is just a game, not a hyper-accurate survival simulation.

Sweating should be in the game. It shouldn't require you to dry out your clothes (too much micromanagement) and it should be tied to the stamina bar. Doing strenuous things like climbing and running should give the "sweaty" status effect and just be a reduction in your clothing's wind chill protection and warmth. Being inside or by a fire for an hour removes the condition. Maybe have the reduction be less severe for wool but that's all that's needed. That way you would have a simple mechanic that would increase the level of realism without requiring micromanagement.

I haven't the faintest idea how to deal with snow depth though. Although also a concern in real life I can't see how they can easily incorporate the depth of snow into the game without a lot of reprogramming. Although cool I don't think it'd be worth the effort to implement and balance.

Archived