Load lag when evading wildlife indoors.

Vortex

Well, my 40 day run was ended today when I was evading a bear indoors. It was easily a good 5 metres away from me when I clicked on the door.

When I went 'inside' the first thing that greeted me was the game over message advising me that I had "died of blood loss from a wolf attack." Needless to say I was a bit irritated at this rather cheap death.

#1. It was a bear, not a wolf.

#2. There was no 'attack' happening - I was evading it.

#3. The bear was a safe enough distance away that I should have been able to get inside that cabin. (Clearly not.)

I've noticed that wildlife can still have at you when you're waiting for the fade animations to complete from opening doors - is this deliberate? If so, what is the reasoning? Your character is in a few (critical) moments of a suspended state where you cannot act in any way or form - why can wildlife still attack you? I've had wolves tear at my clothing and still apply blood loss / infection conditions and lose HP whilst the "attack" sequence doesn't even happen.

My guess is that this is deliberate to make it 'realistic' in that you cannot open a door immediately; but I'm keen on what the community think of this.

If you haven't tried it - give it a go. Grab the attention of a wolf or bear when you're near a door and try and go inside when it's about 5 or so metres away. You will be in a state of 'load limbo' but you will still take hits.

The closest I've had is a wolf approaching me (but not in chase/kill mode yet) very close to a door, and I suffered no injury. I assume the wolf/bear must be actively chasing you for this issue to occur.

Perhaps when you're being chased by anything and entering a building, some script or something assumes/defaults to you being chased by a wolf, and does some additional math to see where the quick escape into a building should leave you at, health wise.

What was your health at when you encountered this issue?

The death occured when I was down to 10% Health outdoors, but with no negative conditions on my character.

But that isn't the actual point.

I have had numerous instances of evading Wolves near the Camp Office at Mystery Lake, as an example ; where I would take damage as I enter the door, despite not actually "fighting" the Wolf. Sometimes it applies the conditions, other times it does not. Sometimes it tears the clothing, other times it does not.

If it's intentional, then it's fine; I'll adjust my strategy. But I would like confirmation on it from the Dev team.

I have seen this. Multiple times. They were investigating whether they wanted to keep it or if there was a way to make what happened more obvious last I heard. As I remember, it was a straight 35% condition loss injury, no afflictions.

Cool feature. Just a bit hidden. Needs an accompanying door slam or at least an "ouch, he jammed my finger in the door" or something...

Archived