So. This Forge Thing.

TTLBreakChicago

I just played for the first time since the forged metal update. I bellied up to a workbench to make some arrowheads. I'm standing at the workbench, the place where I generally have to go in order to craft even the simplest of things, a convention I have made peace with. And no arrowheads.

Here's my problem, and I hope you take it as a compliment on your previous work:

For the first time ever, I had to check the Internet to figure out how to play your game.

There are definitely some big things changing, especially with these last few updates. That's one of the big reasons we've started shipping videos with each update. This video doesn't explicitly say that you can no longer make arrowheads at a workbench, but it does show you the new way to create them. Sounds like you've already figured it out, but be sure to keep an eye out for these videos when we ship major updates!

[bBvideo 560,340:3gekieue]

[/bBvideo]

I'm really glad that you guys have started including videos along with your updates. It's a nice way to get a quick overview of changes as an alternative to reading through the entire change log for each update. I also like that the videos sometimes have previews for future updates included in them. Anyway, I really hope that these videos continue.

You take my point, though? You have an intuitive game. I don't want to watch a video. I don't think you really want us to have to watch a video. I'm just saying if you're going to keep this change going forward, you may want to at least include a page at the workbench that tells the player why arrowheads are no longer on that particular menu. Or, instead of the recipe book living only on the workbench, you make it part of the player's inventory. A Scout's Guide or something similar, that says, "For this, you're going to need to find a forge."

With the huge changes to UI, gameplay, and functionality, I certainly always encourage players to watch these videos. They definitely cut down on the number of repeated questions we get -- Questions I certainly don't mind answering, but I think several players would rather take 3-5 minutes to watch a video VS searching online or asking and waiting for an answer. Whether or not you actually want to do so is certainly up to you. I understand your point about arrowheads, but rather than have to exit my game to ask a question, I would personally, as a player, rather take a few minutes to know what I'm getting into ahead of time. It's true the game is largely intuitive, but having update videos for players to access certainly makes plenty of sense because the intuitions you've adapted based on current gameplay will have to change in some way, and we'd rather not explain that through on-screen displays or in-game text that has the potential for long-term disruption of immersion once you've adjusted to the changes.

Thanks for the feedback!

I would really welcome the ability to forge arrowheads at any fire (provided you have coal, scrap-metal and the blacksmith hammer). As it is now you have to go to Desolation Point to make arrowheads (as far as i know that is the only place to make them). I think this is very cumbersome and limiting the possibilities to survive of the land. Thanks.

Archived