Tug-O-War Struggle

selfless

From this Bug Report

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=8337

Fighting of an attacking wolf is currently represented by a biting wolf animation and a progress bar. Clicking the action button registers progress on the bar until the fight ends. Sometimes this is easy. Sometimes this is impossible. It is confusing. This is because when tired or unarmed very little white is added with each click and much more is taken away by the game mechanic, leaving the total at zero.

Perhaps it would be more apparent if instead of the bar starting at empty it started at half full. Then the negative pressure on the whiteness would be obvious. The wolf is trying to "win" by "pulling" to the left. You then must pull as hard to the right to keep it even. Harder to win. Like a tug-o-war. Keep the same handicaps of fatigue and available weapon. Some conditions should make it impossible to win.

Maybe additional bars showing negative effect of current fatigue and positive effect of current weapon.

Just thoughts.

+1 I haven't fought enough wolves to notice this problem, but this tweak would make a lot of sense even for me.

Maybe the starting bar size could be determined by fatigue the more tired you are the shorter it is or would that be unrealistic in the sense that you're dead tired, but can still attack like if you just woke up after a full sleep?

+1

Would defiantly be more new player friendlier than the current struggle progression bar.

I also like the idea that your condition and stats affect how much of the bar is already filled.

Here's a list of parameters I came up with on the fly that probably won't be used by the Developers if this mechanic gets implemented into the game (but you can't blame me for not trying ;) ):

• If fatigue meter is full (i.e. 100% rested), struggle bar is filled 30%.
  • Fatigue meter half empty, struggle bar struggle bar filled 20%.
  • Fatigue meter empty, struggle bar is filled 10%.
  • Illnesses (e.g. food poisoning, wolf bite infection) and injuries (e.g. wounds, burns) drain the struggle bar by 5% for each ailment.
  • If other stat meters (Cold, Hunger, and Thirst) are empty, struggle bar drained 10% for each stat meter.
  • Weapons fill the struggle bar with their current percentages (fists = 0%, crowbar = 10%, hatchet = 25%, knife = 50%).
  • Wolves drain the struggle bar by a random amount (0% to 30%).
  • Winning a fight with a wolf fills the struggle bar during your next encounter by 1% (maximum limit of 10%)

All in all, if you were to go out and pick a fight with a wolf while you are in perfect physical health (though your mental health would be quite questionable for antagonize such a situation) and you were wielding a knife, the struggle progression bar would be between 50% to 80% full (If you were a seasoned wolf fighter with 10 triumphs under your belt, the struggle progression bar would be filled up slightly more at between 60% to 90% full). This gives you a distinct edge against a wolf and you should be able to win the fight in just a few frenzied blows to you horribly abused Left Mouse Button.

On the flip side, if you find yourself lost and tired in the middle of woods with nothing but your bare fists to defend yourself against that wild-eyed Fluffy that just pounced you, you'd probably end up loosing your shirt (if not your life!) against him, since the progression bar would most like begin almost (if not completely) empty.

Archived