Unable to fight off Wolves

PurpleSaline

Anyone else having this issue since the new update? Before I'd be reasonably able to fight off a wolf with a knife in my inventory and they'd run off, leaving me with a few injuries I needed to take care of. Now no matter how many times I mash that A button (xbox controller on PC version of the game) I can't get the damned bar to move and the wolf kicks the daylights out of me until I pass out.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! Are they just so tough now that there is no hope of fighting them off?

(I'm in the Mystery Lake Area and on Voyageur setting) Sadly this has gotten to be so frustrating for me at this point that I've stopped playing the game now. I mean I understand the fighting mechanism may have been too easy in the previous versions but now it seems as if it's gone too far the other way.

Struggles have gotten harder, but most noticeable, fatigue is now far more effective on wolf struggles.

Maybe too much so.

Unarmed

No Fatigue = struggle, fill bar, wolf runs away, early end of combat

Half Fatigue = struggle, maybe get halfway full bar, you black out, full session of combat damage

Full Fatigue = struggle, bar stays at zero despite all effort, you black out, full session of combat damage

No noticeable difference between struggle that ends in black out and half full bar or unfilled bar. So only win is with no fatigue, fill the bar.

If Im ready and clicking before the wolf gets to me its an easy win for the most part but if the wolf gets the jump on me its a whole different story.

What irritates the hell out of me is shooting a wolf in the face, chest or just shooting does nothing what so ever. Personally I think it BS a wolf takes evasive action when you aim at it while its in a charge. I cant recall all the perfect point blank shots Ive tried and I just get mauled.

Another thing I dont like a lot is when you follow an injured wolf. Its bleeding out and barely able to move its going so slow, almost ready to fall over. You get a little too close and its full strength game on attack. If I get my but kicked because Im near death then it seems that should apply to a wolf thats ready to fall down with blood loss and injury.

I would like to see shot placement matter a little more.

I'm' admittedly a Long Dark newb and am having the same issues (playing xbox one) I started out as a Voyguer but get killed by a wolf every time by day two. Can you even fight a wolf hand to hand? Do I mash the A button or R trigger? I have a hunting knife, hatchet, crowbar, hammer but have not been able to equip any of these tools as a weapon. I've resorted to playing as a Pilgrim to test the survival mechanics and love :D the game but definitely need the fear factor that wild animals bring to the game to really enjoy it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm' admittedly a Long Dark newb and am having the same issues (playing xbox one) I started out as a Voyguer but get killed by a wolf every time by day two. Can you even fight a wolf hand to hand? Do I mash the A button or R trigger? I have a hunting knife, hatchet, crowbar, hammer but have not been able to equip any of these tools as a weapon. I've resorted to playing as a Pilgrim to test the survival mechanics and love :D the game but definitely need the fear factor that wild animals bring to the game to really enjoy it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think fighting hand-to-hand is supposed to be for defense only. But you can lure wolves into attacking you if you want to be offensive. Game automatically equips your best defense weapon for you so you don't have to think about it. Best time to get into it is when you are fully rested and have a sharp knife and 100% health. Worst is exhausted and no weapons. Always have bandages cuz you will be bleeding afterwards.

Tap the button to add white to the bar. If you are rested and well armed this should be easy. If you are tired it may be impossible. Nothing to do but blame circumstance, try anyway and see what happens. Fill the bar entirely and the wolf runs off. Bladed weapons can cause bleeding wounds that may see a running wolf die in his tracks. Follow his bloodtrail. Alternately, if the wolf was damaged before the fight started, it is possible to do enough damage to kill him before he decides to run. If you don't fill the white bar entirely before time expires (no timer) hopefully you are unconscious. Wake up and see wolf walking away (don't engage unless you desire more pain). Otherwise you are dead.

You need a threat beyond weather and falling off cliffs. So you have a wolf. The game is in development, its only $15 on sale. If anyone has a few 100K laying around to toss their way I'm sure a few detours could be made to toss in better villain. But what would that villain be? Its very north and very cold. So venomous reptiles and insects are out. A coyote isn't going to do it. Wild packs of Dingos aren't on this continent and I don't expect the Canadian Geese will join arms to dive bomb you.

A pack of wild beaver, a posse of weasels, badgers, wolverines..... How about lime disease from a tick bite?

Be happy there aren't packs of wolves. Game over.

Bake the cake first then worry about frosting. The game is very playable as it is and its still in Alpha. Be patient.

It would be nice to have a bear hunt down the scent of blood. Be happy that isn't implemented.

Archived