[v265] Feedback on new Survival Panel, Icons & UI

madrepityu

I really don't like the new UI.

I felt from the first day that the devs have a hard time when it comes to the design of the survival panel. They done a wonderful job on every other graphic elements except the survival panel. Seriously, the game looks amazing!

I never thought that this overly minimalist UI is fit for the rest of the game. The old medical pouch type design was awesome, and I really liked that. I wish they bring it back and make the inventory and the survival panel the same design.

I wasn't a huge fan of the previous survival panel, but it was more user friendly, and it was easy to get used to it. You can get every necessary information at a glance.

I have a feeling that this new one is meant to be confusing. Or not, but it's really confusing, imo. I have to spend alot of time just to look at it and figure out my condition, temperatures, etc.. It was only took a glance in the previous design. Texts and icons are small, at least on a 1600*1200 display. And I don't see any benefit of cramming the conditions, temps, everything to the left side, if I still have to open a different window to access all the medical stuff.

I don't understand why the category icons should move from the left side to the right, and vica versa if I'm fumbling in a container vs. the inventory? And the containers should open by displaying the last selected category.

I may like the icon thingy, but not this kind. First, they look awkward, imho. No offence! Thirst and hunger is okay, but I don't like the rest. I don't know which one is worst the "eyes" or the "heat" icon. Probably the "eyes" are the weirdest. Heat should be a thermometer icon with different stages and cold should be one, two or three snowflakes. Or something even better.

Icons appearing on the bottom of the screen should be on the right side. And they should be bigger, and they should be popping up with a more noticeable effect. They should stay on screen a bit longer, as well.

The game log window should have some option to be able to easily jump to the last survived day. Because clicking to reach the log for day 50+ is a pain in the @ss every time. I know it's not related to the current update.

Anyway, I love the new update! Keep up the good work, Guys!

I love the icons at the top for quick switching between status and backpack. Very nice!

I have to agree on the Look of the UI though. The old look was more in tune with the visuals of the game. The bg images for both medical and status was rustic, a pack, opened to show what you have, and also lots of "camp gear" colors - green, yellow, orange. The new UI look is like something out of a SciFi or space theme game. This is a survival game. Greens, browns, outdoorsy imagery fits best.

I'm getting used to the new status bars and text so I'll give that time. It does take some getting used to, particularly after hours and hours of "don't let bars grow toward the right" now it's "don't let them be empty to the left."

+1 to above, and +2 to bringing back the medical kit image with highlights for what you have and what you currently need. Combo between that and the body diagnostic diagram system (adjusting body diagram to the "camp gear" style & color palette as described by vimrich) would be awesome.

Not a huge fan of the various words for the statuses either (ie slaked, peckish, chilled, etc). Just gimme the green / yellow / red bars, the little bit of extra color made those feel more organic and vital, like they actually mattered to my character's life. The white bars w/ 25% markers feels like I'm looking at a hospital chart.

Also want to throw in that in the item inventory, you have options to view only certain types of items in your pack, ie medical, clothing, food, tools, etc, with little icons at the top to show which "filter" is applied. You get this option when looking inside a container as well, but in the most recent update the icons went away (only when looking in a container). It seems weird that they're in one place but not the other, and I'd like them back please. :)

Archived