Aurora Borealis

HappySashimi

The art style of the game is great, in my opinion! I love the overall look and feel of the game, even in this early prototype version.

However, one thing that irks me is the look of the Northern Lights. I really dislike the spiral effect - not that it isn't visually appealing - but simply because the Aurora does not look like that at all. I've seen them many times, living in many parts of Canada, and I always see a ribbon, or wave effect, rather than a big circle or spiral.

Does anyone else feel the same way? It was quite jarring to see this re-imagining of one of natures most awesome phenomena, and I hope that it's just a placeholder.

I'm totally on board with the developers expressing themselves through the art. They've mentioned that the Aurora affects electronic devices, so it makes sense that it looks like those sci-fi EMP shock waves. I guess I'd just like to know why it looks the way it does.

• Hinterland

@Mook -- thanks for your question. The game's aesthetic direction is intentionally stylized, and so you'll see various things like the aurora in the game, where we've made specific artistic decisions about how we want it to look. If you're not happy with it, you can certainly blame me. :)

The only other thing I'll say is that with a year left in development, there's a pretty good chance that some things will look different by the time we get to the end.

We didn't choose the spiral look because we didn't know what aurorae look like. ;)

If we get bogged down with "that's not how is supposed to be" the game will be in development for 10 years while we debate.

Hinterland will have to take artistic liberties, and make decisions for the sake of gameplay that may not be technically or physically accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived