Bingo!

octavian

With the recent talk about end-game stats, seeding, and me raising the issue of speedrunning in both, even though, sadly, those topics get little to no attention, I will continue.

TLD Bingo!

If it will ever be a thing, end-game stats will decide it; what the game keeps track of. For those that don't know video game Bingo, it's, well, what you would expect. I've created a random one, just for illustration purposes.

+1, I think this would be a fun way to add complexity to the sandbox, as well as get people on the forums interacting with each other, using a shared map & goals to have similar, but diverging experiences.

I like the bingo, just because it gives people a whole lot of choices of which objectives to choose from. Going back to my previous idea of an overland race, one specific type of bingo card could just be locations. Visit the 5 you choose in any order, and then post your best time. That would give an awesome added benefit of allowing people to choose which 5 locations they are going to try for as well.

Personally, I think I would go for Row 5 on the list above. I just need to survive on found food (and no soda), find a rifle, then travel to each map and kill a bear with it. The no repairs shouldn't be too much of an issue because I'm hoping to be able to finish the game in 7-10 days, especially if I find a rifle early on, and in fairly good condition. The manufactured food on each map should also be enough as long as I keep moving.

In the example above, the scope of the conditions varies wildly. Survive 60 days basically gives a minimum time for your run, so if you think you can do any other combo faster than that, it eliminates that column and row. Similarly, the "visit all interiors" or "harvest all saplings" is a huge goal, especially because the game doesn't help me track that while I'm alive. I suppose if it came with a # of saplings / map score left, that could be interesting, but seems like it would probably get onerous.

Also, the objectives would need some logic in them to ensure that there is at least one "goal" in every combination. For example, the diagonal TL to BR contains only restrictions, and could be achieved simply by starting. A slightly more stringent interpretation would require only hours - simply eat a catail, harvest and burn a piece of reclaimed wood, and then die.

If the logic could be set up, I love the idea that it is random. Objectives would need to be re-balanced based on the expected length of the run though. Limiting the player to 6 tinder isn't so bad if they can find a half dozen flares per map, or if crafting is allowed, and they can carry fire with them in a torch. I would normally shy away from these methods because they are so resource intense, but if I'm trying to tick objectives in a week or two, there is generally more than enough kerosene for lots of torches!

Another problem that might throw a wrench into this whole idea is the ongoing RNG in the game. Just because a map seed is the same, will two people playing the same map experience the same weather? I tend to think not. Also, I would guess wildlife spawns are also randomly generated in an ongoing process, rather than all at the beginning. Would this be an acceptable amount of randomness for this style competition?

Personally, I think I would go for Row 5 on the list above.

Yes it's a sensible one. I've tried the more insane alternatives and the are truly insane, and impossible for me personally, which I find a lot of fun. I will follow up with a story.

In the example above, the scope of the conditions varies wildly. Survive 60 days basically gives a minimum time for your run, so if you think you can do any other combo faster than that, it eliminates that column and row. Similarly, the "visit all interiors" or "harvest all saplings" is a huge goal, especially because the game doesn't help me track that while I'm alive. I suppose if it came with a # of saplings / map score left, that could be interesting, but seems like it would probably get onerous.

First of all, I agree that these things need to be, not taken out of a hat, but the point is not only in winning the Bingo in the fastest time possible. That's one choice if you want to do that. You could also go for the 60 day challenge simply because of the combination of restrictions. Since cards are generated randomly, you may want to do a challenge that peaks your interest, even though you could Bingo faster. Visit all interiors or harvest all saplings is insane, but I think the game not telling you the number while you are alive and having to keep track yourself adds to the awesome challenge.

Also, the objectives would need some logic in them to ensure that there is at least one "goal" in every combination. For example, the diagonal TL to BR contains only restrictions, and could be achieved simply by starting. A slightly more stringent interpretation would require only hours - simply eat a catail, harvest and burn a piece of reclaimed wood, and then die.

Like I said, I feel that you could go for the TL/BR diagonal just to see how long you can survive under those particular restrictions. Don't you like having this kind of option?

If the logic could be set up, I love the idea that it is random. Objectives would need to be re-balanced based on the expected length of the run though. Limiting the player to 6 tinder isn't so bad if they can find a half dozen flares per map, or if crafting is allowed, and they can carry fire with them in a torch. I would normally shy away from these methods because they are so resource intense, but if I'm trying to tick objectives in a week or two, there is generally more than enough kerosene for lots of torches!

Yes, some kind of logic like this could be implemented. The advantage is that you're essentially looking for combinations of objectives, you don't have to touch anything in the game code.

Another problem that might throw a wrench into this whole idea is the ongoing RNG in the game. Just because a map seed is the same, will two people playing the same map experience the same weather? I tend to think not. Also, I would guess wildlife spawns are also randomly generated in an ongoing process, rather than all at the beginning. Would this be an acceptable amount of randomness for this style competition?

I find every type of RNG other than items/saplings/buildings RNG to be acceptable.

The row right under blue (survive 60 days on canned food, use only 6 tinders and don't kill anything - not even wolves in self-defense) would be my favorite challenge, but you'd have to change the "craft all recipies" rule to sth. else as it contradicts the "don't kill anything" rule. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Scyzara, I'm sorry your favorite one happend to be the one broken on purpose to make the point they can't be picked completely at random :lol:. I have started to work on a less insane card just so it's easier to test and more fun to attempt in these early stages.

18 hours 34 minutes freezing and exhausted at the mine entrance, 3 hours of darkness left, 77% condition.

Making a fire with five reclaimed wood to keep TL-BR diagonal. The hunger, metaphorically speaking, will kill me.

Forgot to use accelerant, used up one tinder for nothing, started a fire with the second one. Diagonal is looking bleak.

Daylight.

Slept 8 hours in the trailer near the mine, resuming plan.

Detour to look for saplings and bear. Birch, no hatchet.

Shot and killed bear.

Ravine. Column 3 done, now I just have to not break the constraints, 1 day 11 hours 58 minutes.

Erm, please, please don’t tell me I can’t shoot rabbits dead. If I'm incapable of aiming I have to rely on the snare spawn at Trapper's.

So I can shoot rabbits dead. Phew. Wolf and fish to go.

Shot and killed a wolf. Caught a fish. If I don't borkle, row and column 3 are done, going for TL-BR diagonal. Actually, derp, craft the bow is crafting, I'm not allowed to, I'm done then. Remembering the challenges is part of the challenge.

Day 1:

Morning: Discovered Lake Trail.

Morning: Discovered Camp Office.

Afternoon: Discovered Mystery Lake.

Afternoon: Drank Orange Soda.

Afternoon: Discovered Train Bridge.

Afternoon: Discovered Carter Hydro Dam.

Afternoon: Sprained ankle.

Afternoon: Drank Summit Soda.

Afternoon: Drank Cup of Coffee.

Evening: Discovered Signal Hill.

Evening: Encumbered

Evening: Went to sleep.

Evening: Woke up after sleeping 2 hours

Evening: Ate Pinnacle Peaches.

Evening: Not Encumbered

Evening: Encumbered

Night: Ate Candy Bar.

Night: Ate Tomato Soup.

Night: Exhausted

Night: Starving

Night: Ate Tomato Soup.

Night: Not Starving

Night: Ate Candy Bar.

Night: Sprained ankle.

Night: Discovered Rural Crossroads.

Twilight: Ate Military-Grade MRE.

Twilight: Drank 0.57 L potable water.

Twilight: Discovered Abandoned Mine.

Twilight: Freezing

Twilight: Failed attempt to start fire.

Twilight: Started fire.

Twilight: Not Freezing

Twilight: Drank Stacy's Grape Soda.

Twilight: Ate Beef Jerky.

Morning: Not Encumbered

Morning: Encumbered

Morning: Ate Beef Jerky.

Morning: Ate Granola Bar.

Morning: Drank Summit Soda.

Morning: Went to sleep.

Morning: Not Exhausted

Distance travelled during day: 7.43 km

Distance travelled during night: 4.31 km

Day 2:

Made it to day 2

Afternoon: Woke up after sleeping 5 hours

Afternoon: Not Encumbered

Afternoon: Drank 0.62 L potable water.

Afternoon: Went to sleep.

Afternoon: Woke up after sleeping 3 hours

Afternoon: Killed a Bear

Afternoon: Discovered Bear Creek Campground.

Afternoon: Discovered Rabbit Grove.

Evening: Discovered Train Unloading.

Evening: Ate Military-Grade MRE.

Evening: Went to sleep.

Evening: Woke up after sleeping 2 hours

Evening: Drank Summit Soda.

Evening: Drank Summit Soda.

Night: Killed a Rabbit

Night: Killed a Wolf

Night: Encumbered[/spoil]

I love how bad I do and how tense Voyageur can be with such simple rules, going for objectives as fast as I can, something completely new and exciting for me after 703 hours, at least half of which on Stalker :D

I'll stop posting in this thread, if nobody tries it and shares their experience I'll quietly assume no interest and move on :cry:

_end.thumb.jpg.57acdc0ca7167f62e1d65d092

Keep posting! Your stories are hilarious, and the idea is a fun one. I'm trying to decide if I want to restart my current game to join you, but it's my record right now...

Other suggestions:

only sleep outside

heal one of each type of injury

no ranged weapons

no running

no jacket, hat or gloves

visit both forestry lookouts

visit every fishing hut

get stalked by both a wolf and a bear at the same time

travel more (or less) than 50 km

no harvesting

only light fires in transition zones

collect (and carry) two of each tool (axe, knife, crowbar, sewing kit, storm lantern, rifle)

collect 100 matches

amass 100 kg of meat in one house

shoot every round of ammo within 12 hours of picking it up

• 2 months later...

I noticed some people mention some self-imposed challenges or goals here or there but I was hoping to find or create a collection of them in a single place. This looks to be the closest thing I've seen! It's different than what I imagined, but better! I like the idea of mastering one or two of these at a time until you can manage a run doing 4-5 of them.

Are you still keeping a list? The ones I had in mind were more like

Finish looting entire map in 7 days or less

Travel through all 4 maps in 30 days or less

Craft all clothing in the first 15 days

See how long you can survive solely in a transition zone

etc. adjusted for fewer/more days depending on experience level or sandbox mode but yours are more dynamic and creative. Overall it has a lot more potential for piecing together a fun challenge. An alternative to the bingo is to have 4-5 randomly selected for you - which might also prove a lot more difficult depending on how the challenges may or may not fit together.

The mockup with the nice dam background makes think of developing a set of challenges specific to each map with a general rule to not traverse maps until you complete your challenge for that map.

Archived